Strictly Jazz - Suggestions and a discussion about the music.

2»

Comments

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,785
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Here is another one - Recent discovery.

je1bk64zbph1.jpg

ykenpz7fefns.jpg
    Jazzman wrote:
    However, when reading your reviews of bass and strings texture with your new clock, well...

Tom

Should one have a pony tail if one has almost no hair on said persons head?
    Asking for a friend. :#
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • agingboomer
    agingboomer Posts: 44
    If one has it, one should flaunt it.
    Everywhere is within walking distance if you have enough time.
  • agingboomer
    agingboomer Posts: 44
    5f5znv66hr2l.jpg

Steve Eliovson was a South African guitarist whose only recording is this incredible ECM session with percussionist Collin Walcott. Eliovson sent a cassette to ECM, was offered a contract, and the album came out in 1981. An accident postponed his second recording, and he had to sell all his possessions and return to South Africa. He mostly disappeared from the music scene but there were reports of his playing in South African clubs. He died of cancer in 2020. Collin Walcott was killed in a bus accident in Germany while touring with the band Oregon in 1984. This album has been called "a jewel of quiet magnificence."
    I find it to be brilliant. One can only wonder what these two might have produced later.

Steve Eliovson / Collin Walcott: Dawn Dance
    ECM-1-1198 recorded January 1981
    vinyl and cassette
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,917
    Check this one out, fellas....Tommy like...

https://youtu.be/qHZ4tlknioA

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Ya' know, the song above has caught my attention. More than once. It has great dynamics, it's a great recording and it was mixed/mastered very well with a wide sound stage.

Even if you don't like Jazz? Turn this one up a little bit and give it a whirl.

I will definitely be checking out more of his offerings.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Just this morning, a post on a thread of what was spinning on another forum was made. Looked interesting to me, so I looked up Jeff Kashiwa -

Seattle native, Jeff Kashiwa became known as one of the most compelling young saxophonists in contemporary jazz during his first year with The Rippingtons back in 1989. Kashiwa performed hundreds of shows all over the world and appeared on many of the band’s classic recordings.

After his decade long tenure with The Rippingtons, Kashiwa’s instincts led him to more dynamic endeavors through his solo career. It surprised many when Jeff left the group to venture out on his own, but he had things to say through his own music.

In 2004, Kashiwa founded The Sax Pack, a trio of saxophone headliners, featuring himself, Steve Cole and Kim Waters. The group released three CDs together and charmed audiences with their Rat Pack style reparte’ in tours across the U.S. and abroad. 

In 2006, Jeff reunited with The Rippingtons for their 20th Anniversary Tour and continued to record and tour with the group until 2016. In addition to touring with The Sax Pack and his own group, Kashiwa has expanded his career to include the realm of music education. He now teaches in the same school district where it all began teaching various music ensembles and online Music Technology courses at Shoreline Community College in Seattle, Washington.

This year Kashiwa released his 11th solo recording titled Sunrise. Featured on the CD are his band, Coastal Access as well as guest performances by Marc Antoine, Tom Schuman and Phillipe Saisse. Jeff is in his 12th year as an Instrumental Ensemble and Music Technology instructor, and Department Chair at Shoreline Community in Seattle, WA.

The above was taken from his website - https://jeffkashiwa.com/

Apparently, I am late to the party with this cat. I see that the "Best of" album, which originally sold for less than 10 bucks (now OOP) is commanding $30 to $60 a pop+ for the same CD.

v780omudbgi2.jpg

I have been listening to the "Best of" album for about an hour or so. In the sweet spot and as I type this post. Haven't ran across a song that I haven't liked yet. It's considered contemporary jazz by the industry. I just consider it great tunes. Now that I have discovered him, I can listen to a multitude of albums that he and his various bands/ventures have put out.

For those in the know, please don't bash me too gawd awful hard for not knowing about this cat before. Those that don't know about him, I do invite you to check him out. His Best of album just came to an end. I will now be enjoying this latest offering....the album Luminoso.

8x5u5t3ew261.png

Tom
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,830
    You had me at The Rippingtons.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,830
    6c8cxhx2jb0y.png

The rest of the story on the description:

"Chicago guitarist Bobby Broom, organist Ben Paterson, and drummer Kobie Watkins first came together to tour as the opening act for Steely Dan in 2014. The trio took a name, the Organi-Sation, that captured the centrality of the Hammond B3 organ to its dirty yet sophisticated swing vernacular—a sound that landed well in the large halls where the Dan makes its stops. On Soul Fingers, Broom properly documents this special group, but with Steve Jordan (the master drummer) in the producer’s chair to vary the atmosphere: an overdubbed horn section here and there, strings on Broom’s laidback R&B ballad “Eyes of Faith,” vibraphone on Bobbie Gentry’s “Ode to Billie Joe,” acoustic guitars and melodica on “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” (one of two Beatles tunes). But the trio remains the focus, with a tilt toward ’70s pop done in a funky, assertive soul-jazz style. Broom’s sparkling tone, bluesy expression, and impeccable bebop phrasing are consistently out in front (his outro solo on “I Can’t Help It” is especially on point)."

Saw him at AXPONA this year and was immediately hooked.

This recording has some sweet low bass that adds another dimension of lifelike-ness. Hope you enjoy!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • 0ddu2u4milq8.jpeg
    McCoy Tyner: Dimensions

Elektra Musician 60350-1 {LP 1984, recorded at Unique Recording Studios, New York, October 1983}
    McCoy Tyner, piano; Gary Bartz, alto sax; John Lee, bass; Wilby Fletcher, drums; John Blake, violin

The late McCoy Tyner was a force of nature. Had the good fortune to see him at Yoshi's in San Francisco years ago. Later caught his appearance with tap dancer Savion Glover in a small venue in Atlanta, which was a rhythmic delight. A couple of year after that I got to see a show with his trio at a movie-theater-turned-rock-venue in one of Atlanta's funkier alternative neighborhood. Always stunning.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,228

Ella Fitzgerald
    When did Ella Fitzgerald come out?
    Biography - Ella Fitzgerald
    8bz399d7tg8f.png
    In 1938, at the age of 21, Ella recorded a playful version of the nursery rhyme, “A-Tisket, A-Tasket.” The album sold 1 million copies, hit number one, and stayed on the pop charts for 17 weeks. Suddenly, Ella Fitzgerald was famous.

Ella Jane Fitzgerald was an American singer, songwriter and composer, sometimes referred to as the "First Lady of Song", "Queen of Jazz", and "Lady Ella". She was noted for her purity of tone, impeccable diction, phrasing, timing, intonation, and a "horn-like" improvisational ability, particularly in her scat singing.

bvwlyh0j1hj9.png

I stumbled upon listening to Ella Fitzgerald about three weeks ago. Old School for sure! I had an Upper GI and was in the "getting ready zone" before going into the "let's look into that esophagus" phase. Some loud rock music emerged through the walls as I waited. After I was rolled into the procedure room, I asked the doctor where the music was coming from. He told me every room had music and what was my choice. I said "JAZZ" and your choice. He pulled out his iPhone and started the music without telling me the artist. Soothing music until the Propofol kicked in. Afterwards in the "wake up zone", he told me he picked Ella Fitzgerald. Look at the names of those songs above; I had heard many of them, but did not know the impact and the detail of her music.

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • tg3hgyd55k8e.jpeg
    Russell Malone: Black Butterfly {CD; Columbia CK 53912, 1993}

Russell Malone has left the concert hall. While touring in Japan with Ron Carter's Golden Striker trio (Carter, bass; Malone, guitar; Donald Vega, piano), Malone died of a heart attack on August 23, 2024. He was only 60 years old. He was mostly self-taught and grew up playing in church in Albany, Georgia. His playing was influenced by B.B. King, Wes Montgomery, and George Benson, but he was a strong original player with a deep understanding of rhythm, narrative, and improvisational clarity and inventiveness. Gone too soon.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,697
    Here is a photo of Mr. Malone taken by Laura Tenenbaum:

14u24cb7i32r.png

• rc8tl2o50dk8.jpg

Ron Carter and Donald Vega are continuing the Golden Striker Trio tour as a duo, with Russell Malone's now-empty chair accompanying them on stage.
  • Benny Golson has died at the age of 95. Listening to his 2004 recording of one of his most famous compositions, "Killer Joe," in his honor.

6odk1xgq0932.png