Universal Remotes

Options
DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,481
I can't imagine trying,(read my family) to control my system without a damn good universal remote. Since Harmony has left the game, what else is there? I have a Harmony One now for the family rig. Even the lesser 650 I use in the secondary rig is ridiculously priced. When these die, what's next?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Friends of mine work in the Home Theater setup/programming industry and they do make universal remotes that will work.....but.....

Isn't there always a "but"?

They are expensive to purchase. They may need to go with certain gear that is only "X" years old and up to current technology and they are more expensive to program (must be done by a professional and with their tooling/programs) than it was to purchase the remote to begin with.

So, yes. Unless you want to go this route and pay bookoo bucks (read 1.4K plus) for a remote? As far as I know, @pitdogg2 is correct. There isn't anything out there currently that can compare to a Harmony.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I have backups for all my harmonys…but last time I checked they were still plentiful on eBay and could be found for a reasonable price if you’re patient. Has brag changed???
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    A "repair kit" for the 650 can be had on ebay. It sorta worked for one of the 650s I have, but 2 buttons just don't work...so I reprogrammed a pair of working buttons that are rarely used to take their place. Got a different Harmony that works fine but the backlight is too dim for me.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.