Amp/Preamp upgrade advice

Options
2»

Comments

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Very nice. Looks similar inside to my Michi X3. Probably some trickle-down effect going on.

As I understand it, the new(er) RA 6000 essentially has the preamplifier section as the 1592MKII, but they essentially put the Michi amp in it.

I would like to get some time with the RA 6000.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Wow, very similar indeed:

RA-6000:
    g440RA6000B-o_other0.jpg

X3:
    X3%20Internal.jpg
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 701
    Options
    Because I don't take advice from anyone that has an agenda to push. I make my own decisions. When a site can trash products made by the biggest names (Levinson, Pass, Carver, Krell and many others) as well as attempt to trash established and well-respected publications and reviewers, I question the motives of the site.

My experience over decades in this hobby are worth more to me than taking the advice of a bunch of herd-following hacks.

What is his agenda , and motive ?
    Seems to be a common “theme” of complaints with him .

Curious as to your thoughts .

Bk

Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Wow, very similar indeed:

RA-6000:
    g440RA6000B-o_other0.jpg

X3:
    X3%20Internal.jpg

Other than the covered transformer in the same place they do not appear to be similar to me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Options
    Lol really? Look at the L and R amp boards. They're nearly identical.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Wrong, one set has black boards, the others are green.

/s
  • Clipdat
    Options
    From the Stereophile review:

"When I looked at the RA-6000's spec sheet, I saw that it was rated at 200Wpc (continuous) into 8 ohms and 350Wpc (maximum) into 4 ohms. The abovementioned RB-991 was rated at 200Wpc into 8 ohms and 300Wpc into 4 ohms, but coincidently, Tom Norton measured 349.1Wpc (max) into 4 ohms.

Then I noticed how Rotel's $3200 RA-1592MKII integrated was also specified at 200Wpc into 8 ohms and 350Wpc (max) into 4 ohms.

I asked Jeff Coates how is the RA-6000 different from the RA-1592MKII? He explained: "The main difference is in the power section, which is more closely related to the one in the Michi X3. The RA-6000, while not a 1:1 copy, is comparable to the front end of the 1592MKII and the power section of an X3.""
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,190
    Options
    I must say the Michi looks awfully good in all black! Classy looking piece of equipment
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Sounds great, too! Love mine.
  • stangman67
    Options
    I’m sure it does. Have had my ears on some nice Rotel stuff but have not got to experience Michi yet.

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »

Just one example... He tested a piece of Pass gear that was tested at a large magazine by a world regarded reviewer, including measurements and using very nearly the same equipment to do the analysis. The reviewer found the piece to be a great performer, highly recommending the piece as being among the best in its class. ASR does a test of the same component, gets vastly different readings and awards it a headless panther. Performance testing procedures vary from company to company and in many cases, that information is proprietary for a reason.

Who do I believe? I go with the guy with 40 years of experience reviewing audio, nut even then, I take it with a grain of salt until I hear it for myself. There are many more examples but do your own homework. I will not get into bashing another site further with you, but I will say this... How they get away with absolutely trashing companies and individuals tied to those companies is slanderous and it is a wonder they do not get sued.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • stangman67
    edited January 26
    Options
    I too dislike ASR, but not for the same reasons. I don’t think ASR is nearly as diabolical as you think they are, IE I don’t think they have a grand plan to take down the HI-FI heavy weights.

Rather, the crowd over there is very much anti high end and high dollar gear and would much rather own and recommend cheaper stuff such as Topping, Denafrips, and Gustard amongst many others that measure well during their testing routine. You know and I know measurements do not tell the whole story, but that is the ideology those folks subscribe to.

To each their own, I don’t suspect the things they are doing and posting over there are measurably affecting the well known and reputable brands. Agreed on having to listen to stuff with your own ear before jumping in, I don’t take professional reviews to be anything more than a paid advert anymore, not just in Hi-Fi but in all consumer goods. Too many paid “influencers” and reviewers out there.

Post edited by stangman67 on

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Lol really? Look at the L and R amp boards. They're nearly identical.

I'll give you that, but it ends there.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gyosa
    edited January 26
    Options

Just one example... He tested a piece of Pass gear that was tested at a large magazine by a world regarded reviewer, including measurements and using very nearly the same equipment to do the analysis. The reviewer found the piece to be a great performer, highly recommending the piece as being among the best in its class. ASR does a test of the same component, gets vastly different readings and awards it a headless panther. Performance testing procedures vary from company to company and in many cases, that information is proprietary for a reason.

Who do I believe? I go with the guy with 40 years of experience reviewing audio, nut even then, I take it with a grain of salt until I hear it for myself. There are many more examples but do your own homework. I will not get into bashing another site further with you, but I will say this... How they get away with absolutely trashing companies and individuals tied to those companies is slanderous and it is a wonder they do not get sued.
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I too dislike ASR, but not for the same reasons. I don’t think ASR is nearly as diabolical as you think they are, IE I don’t think they have a grand plan to take down the HI-FI heavy weights.

Rather, the crowd over there is very much anti high end and high dollar gear and would much rather own and recommend cheaper stuff such as Topping, Denafrips, and Gustard amongst many others that measure well during their testing routine. You know and I know measurements do not tell the whole story, but that is the ideology those folks subscribe to.

To each their own, I don’t suspect the things they are doing and posting over there are measurably affecting the well known and reputable brands. Agreed on having to listen to stuff with your own ear before jumping in, I don’t take professional reviews to be anything more than a paid advert anymore, not just in Hi-Fi but in all consumer goods. Too many paid “influencers” and reviewers out there.

I understand ya both …

I sit somewhere in the middle .
    I do like seeing actual independent measurements, but I do have issue with the fact that he never actually listens to the gear he measures - measurements alone don’t tell the whole story - tube gear is an example. But , that being said , a recommendation by him wouldn’t dissuade me from buying a piece of gear - quite the opposite. And a non-recommendation wouldn’t dissuade me either. I take all reviews with a grain of salt. If a piece of gear sounds good I don’t really care where it’s made or what it costs - and apparently there is some great sounding inexpensive gear out there ….

Bk
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • stangman67
    Options
    I don’t discount stuff they review well at all. In fact I want a Denafrips DAC, I choose to pretty much just ignore their existence in general.

• gyosa
    Options

Just one example... He tested a piece of Pass gear that was tested at a large magazine by a world regarded reviewer, …….

I do believe that magazine and online/YouTube “paid promotion” reviews are biased based on manufacturers advertising dollars and “free to keep” gear.
    So , in those cases , virtually worthless.

Bk

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options

I have to agree with you, he tests so much equipment that there is no way he takes enough time to do it properly.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    edited January 27
    Options
    In a way, I view Audio Science as a modern day Julian Hirsch. It's all about the measurements with very little emphasis on sound quality. The difference being Julian almost always gave a positive review.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Amir and I have had experience with each other in the past, suffice it to say that I don't trust him. He is an egotistical liar with an agenda and I was very happy when we booted him of of the WBF as an administrator/owner.

His circular arguments and always being right about everything grew tiresome. It's sad that a man as smart as him can be such an (fill in the explative here).

He is doing the industry and the hobby no good whatsoever.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,005
    Options
    White Oak Audio upgraded Phase Linear 700 can be had around 2k.
    500w per @ 8 ohm would do well.
    Either the 700b or the Series II amps.

Search WOPL Phase Linear.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    I would suggest an upgraded Pre as the first step and upgraded source (like a DAC) second. That is the route my journey has taken and I believe those are the biggest bang for the buck in that order.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    I would suggest an upgraded Pre as the first step and upgraded source (like a DAC) second. That is the route my journey has taken and I believe those are the biggest bang for the buck in that order.

Any suggestions for preamp that would be a good fit for his amp?
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    Options
    This would be my next amp ..
    Tons and tons of clean power …
    If you don’t like the looks , it comes in a more “upscale” enclosure as well …

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/apollon-ncx500st-stereo-amplifier-review.47701/

Bk

I just read Amir’s review of that amplifier from the link, and I kid you not, there was not a SINGLE mention of how it sounds… None, zip, nada. He may as well have been reviewing a welder.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Don there are a few class D amps recommended here. Tread lightly. class D is not for most. If you do consider a class D amp, be sure it has a generous return policy.

My Pass Aleph 30 is available if you find a suitable pre-amp. I've just been dragging my feet posting it up for sale officially.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    This would be my next amp ..
    Tons and tons of clean power …
    If you don’t like the looks , it comes in a more “upscale” enclosure as well …

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/apollon-ncx500st-stereo-amplifier-review.47701/

Bk

I just read Amir’s review of that amplifier from the link, and I kid you not, there was not a SINGLE mention of how it sounds… None, zip, nada. He may as well have been reviewing a welder.

Him listening to it wouldn't make any difference, look at how he listened to the magnepan LRS with just one speaker.