Another Great Customer Service experience - VPI

Options
stangman67
stangman67 Posts: 2,194
edited January 17 in The Clubhouse
Polkies,

If you are looking for a great turntable with other worldly CS, consider VPI.

I purchased some new Genesis 45 RPM records (I rarely listen to 45’s) and noticed that when in 45 RPM mode my ADS/Motor were humming/vibrating. Everything was good in 33 RPM which I found odd. I called VPI and spoke to Jim, and without hesitation he told me to send the ADS up for troubleshooting. My table and ADS are well out of warranty, and I was told the troubleshooting fee was around 100 bucks an hour, which I had absolutely no problem with.

They went through the ADS and found nothing wrong and were willing to send me a new one on the house thinking maybe it was intermittent, but before they did that they had me send the motor up to NJ to ensure everything was good with the motor as well. After a few hours of running the ADS and motor together, they couldn’t replicate the issue. Not only did they not charge me at all for the labor involved in going through everything, they also covered return shipping. Got the equipment back today and the phantom vibration is gone, but if it comes back I’m sure they will be all-in to help me out.

At the end of the day, it is a small thing and probably only a savings of a few hundred bucks but it means I will be a VPI customer for life. Had multiple similar experiences with Modwright as well, you may pay more for made in America, but can’t beat the CS offered.

-Zach
2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your positive experience. I read a story about VPI early in the pandemic. Apparently, they shut down one of their production lines and tooled up to make something that was needed (I forget exactly what. Masks or sanitizer?). Right then, I decided that if I ever replaced my turntable, I would look no further.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,194
    Options
    I did not know that, sure enough here is the story https://www.vpiindustries.com/single-post/2020/04/04/vpis-fight-against-covid-19

Awesome of them indeed!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,523
    Options
    Have dealt with VPI CS several times . Overall experience I would say is a B+.

Had an issue with a tonearm lift. On a VPI Avenger Reference. They took care of it but I wish they did one thing different - send the tonearm lift first then had me send mine in. That would save some time. Overall still pretty good service. But still some room to improve IMO.

That said, it’s still better than the service you get from Clearaudio from what I hear (for example).
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound