Calibration

Geoff4rfc
Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,308
How often do y'all calibrate your systems? I will calibrate my set up every 3 or 4 months or so (does that seem like a lot?). It seems to make a difference on both 2ch and movies.

I don't have any cool stuff to calibrate with, I just rely on the software in my Marantz, MultEQ 32 which includes sub EQ. I take advantage of the 8 placement runs to gather as much data as allows. I always check the details after the room corrections are applied and I'm pretty happy with results.
Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,349
    One and done.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,522
    The ht I calibrated like 5 years ago....

My 2 channel... Define calibration lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • crazy098
    crazy098 Posts: 27
    I only redo calibration when I change components or move things around.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,467
    No HT, 2 channel calibration, to me, means moving the speakers around until I get the best sound for my listening position. Suppose it's a little archaic but has worked for years. One and done indeed, unless I rearrange the room...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Every day. Any less and you're a poseur.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    In all seriousness, I calibrated my setup once very early on when I first got the Parasound Halo C2, but then I shifted the room and never calibrated again. I didn't think I needed it.

FFWD to last Winter, was able to get an HK 990 integrated that I'd loosely been looking for over the years. This was for my 2ch setup in the main space. I had two systems there for the longest time, the 2ch coming later, and "temporarily placed" while I was testing out different stuff.

I decided to consolidate the main space and set up the HK integrated in HT Bypass with the C2. After running the HK's calibration for 2ch, I realized how much better it was, and that I probably needed to do the C2 again, Dehr. So I did, and it was *so* much better. I'm still really quite amazed sometimes at how good it all sounds, and that was over a year ago.

The Parasound Halo C2 is older, and doesn't have a modern "standard" calibration tool, but does use a mic. I really thought I had it pretty close just going by the distance and measurements. I didn't think it lacking in any obvious way, but running the cal tool made a significant improvement. Way more accurate now.

I probably won't run it again unless I have a system adjustment.

Do you find that yours improves or changes in some way when you re-run it every few months?
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,349
    I should clarify my one and done comment. I ran the calibration program to get a base line, then over the period of a week or so using different source material I manually tweaked things until it sounded the best to my ears.

Years later I replaced the original sub and repeated the above process.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Geoff4rfc
    msg wrote: »
    Do you find that yours improves or changes in some way when you re-run it every few months?

Like Jesse just mentioned in his last post, I tweak my set up as well.....a lot. I'm constantly making sub adjustments, going back and forth from large to small settings on the speakers and I just get complacent with the sound, so I run the calibration and BAM, it sounds fresh and new again.

I'm going to leave it alone and see how long it stays this way. It sounds pretty great right now however I'm building a couple of cables this week to add a pair of rear heights......so I'll be running calibration once more lol.

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • msg
    Poseur.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Poseur.

C'mon by amigo, give a listen.....I've got'er dialed in pretty good

• msg
    I know, I know, just ribbin' ya!
    I disabled signatures.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,733
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Poseur.

Dunno man. When I came over your subs were boxed up in the garage 🤣
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Poseur.

Dunno man. When I came over your subs were boxed up in the garage 🤣

LOL...yes they were...no upstairs neighbors to kill the party now.....too bad you're not as close as you were back then.....dude....it's "decent"