gasket reuse question

Finally getting around to rehabbing my 1978 Model/Monitor 5s. Everything came apart without incident -- the gaskets are fully intact and stayed on the cabinet.

My question: Do you typically pull them off or leave them undisturbed?

On one hand, I'd like to get them out of the way for H-nut install, but why screw with them if no good can come of it?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,315
    Are the gaskets black colored or off white?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Astrl55
    Astrl55 Posts: 64
    they are black
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,552
    Leave them.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    ^This^

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Astrl55
    edited January 6
    Thank you, Gentlemen, for your responses.

My only concern is if they'll survive being drilled through during the hurricane nut installation.
    Post edited by Astrl55 on
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 279
    Astrl55 wrote: »
    Thank you, Gentlemen, for your responses.

My only concern is if they'll survive being drilled through during the hurricane nut installation.

That's a valid concern. I would carefully remove them from the cabinet before drilling for hurricane nuts, but definitely re-use them if they are in good shape.
  • F1nut
    edited January 6
    Ah, if drilling then yes, remove the gaskets.

I'm surprised they are on the cabinet as they should have been glued to the driver basket.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,993
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ah, if drilling then yes, remove the gaskets.

I'm surprised they are on the cabinet as they should have been glued to the driver basket.

Polk must have used the same glue as their magnets.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Astrl55
    New Plan:

With the gasket still in place, and using the driver's frame as a template I will mark the position of each hole on the gasket.

Then before drilling, I'll use an Xacto knife to cut a tiny circle from the gasket so that it doesn't get torn up in the drilling operation.