Sansui pronuciation?

Options
Just read this. Is this true?

here's some trivia. Sansui is not pronounced San Sue We. It's two syllables, sawn swee. Ain't that a kick?
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Sound sweet?
    Post edited by xschop on
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,388
    Options
    Only one problem with that...

jvy2ubo6dena.png

Of course, this post may have been written by Thomas Jefferson. It is the internet, after all.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    S Ants You Eye ;)
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,071
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I've always said San-souwee. I think it's close enough.
    Better than the way most of us Amurricans (including Paul Simon, of course, and me :blush:) pronounce Nikon -- with a long "i". It should be more like Kneeko(n) -- short i and kind of swallowing the n. ;)
    At any rate, of course Sansui is French: Sans UI.
    Without 'user interface'
    B)
    wgtqtca9i23v.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    I thought it was a rednek thang

https://youtu.be/qwBfGQJhDT8
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    In 1978 it was pronounced Sansui. Maybe this'll help. Just ask Stanley the audiophile. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HANkQwz_P5k
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,478
    Options
    Is that Wally from Leave It To Beaver ?
    Randy/Maine
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    In 1978 it was pronounced Sansui. Maybe this'll help.

This is how I have always pronounced it as well. I don't really care if it's incorrect, my American eyes read it send it to my American brain which then pronounces it with my American tongue.

America.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,621
    Options
    It could be like Technics. We say “Teckneeks” and other parts of the world say “Tecknicks.”

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »
    In 1978 it was pronounced Sansui. Maybe this'll help.

This is how I have always pronounced it as well. I don't really care if it's incorrect, my American eyes read it send it to my American brain which then pronounces it with my American tongue.

America.

Like Porsche or Porsch-"a"-
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    Options
    Hehehe....my son got a Porsche for Christmas one year and after he unwrapped it, we asked him what he got. His response?

With a big smile on his face, he said..."I got a Pour-schaay!"

In his defense, he was only about 4 and had never heard the word pronounced before. Gotta love the innocence of children...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Neech-chee or Neech-cha?
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2023
    Options
    The German stuff is all very easy to pronounce; Germans gots rules.
    Nietzsche, Porsche -- easy, peasy. that sche is kind of a -schuh sound; the e more like a schwa than a long e (or even a short e). The old mnemonic of pronouncing Porsche like Shakespeare's Portia will get you close enough for Government work. :)
    The one German name I struggle with to this day, though, is Goethe.
    Mind you, I minored in German in college and was (technically, still am) a member of two German honor fraternities... but there's just a little too much goin' on in too few letters in Goethe.
    My solution? I just try not to talk about him. B)

PS I've always said "Teck-nicks" -- Philistine that I am. Based on the wee bit I know about Japanese pronunciation, my SWAG is that it would best be said "Tek-oh-neeks", with that middle syllable sort of glossed over on the way from the beginning to the end.

• xschop
    Options
    My Nakamichi knocks in my Mitsubishi.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    When I lived in the Silicon Valley, I used to often see a Mitsubishi pickup truck, the lettering on the tailgate had been altered to read ITS BISHI
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    I saw a Honda Passport the other day that was turned into an "A S S PORT." 😳😂

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • xschop
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Translated 3 Diamonds. A Japanese colleague at my university said he'd never own one again. Shift mechanism stranded him in the middle of the highway doing a U-turn.
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hehehe....my son got a Porsche for Christmas one year and after he unwrapped it, we asked him what he got. His response?

With a big smile on his face, he said..."I got a Pour-schaay!"

In his defense, he was only about 4 and had never heard the word pronounced before. Gotta love the innocence of children...

Tom

"Pour-schaay" That's great!
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    It could be like Technics. We say “Teckneeks” and other parts of the world say “Tecknicks.”

I also really like "Tecknicks"!

Me personally Being a "Porschephile" I'll stick to the German pronunciation and as an American "Teckneeks".

I am Dyslexic on the other hand so words have a funny way of not being spoken correctly occasionally? :D

Sort of off topic but I naturally pronounce documentary "Doc u men tear ie"?? I'm not even sure that is correct! :D
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Just read this. Is this true?

here's some trivia. Sansui is not pronounced San Sue We. It's two syllables, sawn swee. Ain't that a kick?

About the ten second mark is her way. If it says so in a video it has to be right, right? :D

https://youtu.be/orUj8mQTPHQ?si=Om5U5bnp428CnTvU
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited December 2023
    Options

Tom

I like the British accent one.

5bv4o6usgaez.png

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,120
    Options
    Potayto, potahto….
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

*In my best British accent*

Oh, Blaught-dhy hell...

Tom

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    edited December 2023
    Options
    j0h9uwv226gj.jpeg

Well built and sounds great! 9090
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,148
    edited December 2023
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

Tom

5bv4o6usgaez.png

The British accent one seems to have equal emphasis on the first two syllables, while the American has the emphasis on the second. As a Brit, I have always pronounced it in what they are calling the American pronunciation and can't remember anyone British pronouncing it like they say. However, it has been 35 years.................
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,007
    Options
    Speaking of British, how about the pronunciation of 'Garrard'? I pronounce that 'g' as a 'j', myself.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,049
    Options
    Does that mean, if someone took this away from me, I'd be....

Sans Shushi ?

hf33zd5m1qcz.png
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    I can't believe no one's asked how you pronounce "pronuciation" yet.

us8dvcixmycp.png
    Brian

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I'm more into amateurnunciation, personally -- although I do aspire to pro status.