Any El Paso Polkies Here?

Options
I have a pretty cool job opportunity in El Paso but looking for some real life feedback and info from Polkies who currently live, have lived, or even grew up in El Paso. Stuff like cost of housing, environment, people, crime, culture, etc. Please keep it non political….also I really don’t mind the heat. I would rather bake than be cold any day of the year. Thanks and Merry Christmas !

Comments

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    Options
    Sorry amigo......I'm right at 8 hours east of El Paso though I've driven through it many times......flat hills and boot makers is all I can tell you about it.....other than easy access to Mexico
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,621
    Options
    Well El Paso Illinois is close to me😉
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,964
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I lived in Illinois most of my life and had no idea there was an El Paso….lol
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    Options
    "Any El Paso Polkies Here?"

If there are, they might be here illegally and aren't saying.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »

I lived in Illinois most of my life and had no idea there was an El Paso….lol

Hey, I was in your neck of the woods back in '79, like Jan of '79. Rantoul IL, Chanute AFB. A young redneck right out of TX, my first exposure to a ridiculous amount of ice and snow.....I was there 12 weeks and never saw green from the ground and trees, or pavement....
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,621
    Options
    I worked in Champaign/Urbana in the mid 80's. I worked at the Foot Locker at Market place mall in Champaign. Some of those Chanute AF boys were umm how do I say it politely ... " special" yea we'll go with "special". Most all the rest were polite and respectful. The "special" ones were totally disrespectful to put it politely. They felt like the mall empolyees needed to kiss their bottoms and give them special deals. They more than once said that "without us you wouldn't have jobs or a place to work" . Well that mall is still there and doing well (surprisingly) and Chanute closed looog ago. :smiley:
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,104
    Options
    I work with a lady from Oblong, IL. FWIW :)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,700
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    I work with a lady from Oblong, IL. FWIW :)

I know her family.

3k4xze6oprer.jpg
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,136
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    That’s me!

I grew up in El Paso and have a couple friends that still live out there. For the most part people are extremely friendly, and from what I understand the city has done a lot of quality improvements over the years. I will say that if you do not gladly embrace Hispanic culture, you will not be comfortable there. I grew up around it so it’s very natural to me, but after moving away I know not everyone would be comfortable there.

El Paso is also pretty geographically spread out, so which part of EP makes a big difference as well. But overall the whole city feels more like a collection of suburbs than a big city. Cost of living is pretty excellent, especially if you’re making a typical big city salary. If you have kids, the schools are ok, but nothing more. And that’s by Texas standards. If you’re going off national standards, the schools are largely not great.

The city has all the resources you need though. Plenty of entertainment, easy access to some amazing parts of New Mexico. Obviously access to Mexico (that has changed wildly since I lived there.)

I could go on, but just PM if you want to chat more. Happy to talk about it.

Cutting to the chase: I wouldn’t move back. But I know people that moved away and missed it enough to move back and raise their families there.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,286
    Options
    I own Polk sda2a speakers and I watch El Paso tube amps on YouTube does that count?
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    I worked in Champaign/Urbana in the mid 80's. I worked at the Foot Locker at Market place mall in Champaign. Some of those Chanute AF boys were umm how do I say it politely ... " special" yea we'll go with "special". Most all the rest were polite and respectful. The "special" ones were totally disrespectful to put it politely. They felt like the mall empolyees needed to kiss their bottoms and give them special deals. They more than once said that "without us you wouldn't have jobs or a place to work" . Well that mall is still there and doing well (surprisingly) and Chanute closed looog ago. :smiley:

LOL, I know exactly who you're talking about!!! There were always arrogant bass-turds running around like they were the ones doing a Flash by keeping the space time continuum on track :D

I got my one and only tattoo there in Champaign at the ripe old age of 19.....I reckon we missed crossing paths by just a few years.....imagine that.....

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,523
    Options
    That’s me!

I grew up in El Paso and have a couple friends that still live out there. For the most part people are extremely friendly, and from what I understand the city has done a lot of quality improvements over the years. I will say that if you do not gladly embrace Hispanic culture, you will not be comfortable there. I grew up around it so it’s very natural to me, but after moving away I know not everyone would be comfortable there.

El Paso is also pretty geographically spread out, so which part of EP makes a big difference as well. But overall the whole city feels more like a collection of suburbs than a big city. Cost of living is pretty excellent, especially if you’re making a typical big city salary. If you have kids, the schools are ok, but nothing more. And that’s by Texas standards. If you’re going off national standards, the schools are largely not great.

The city has all the resources you need though. Plenty of entertainment, easy access to some amazing parts of New Mexico. Obviously access to Mexico (that has changed wildly since I lived there.)

Cutting to the chase: I wouldn’t move back. But I know people that moved away and missed it enough to move back and raise their families there.

You can’t move back
    There is no El Paso audiophile club
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,196
    Options
    B+ on niche.com, but that is FWIW because my town is allegedly an A+ lol

9uq8gftvd634.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,136
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    That’s me!

You can’t move back
    There is no El Paso audiophile club

Believe me, for me to move back to EP it would likely require a financial position that would allow my wife and I to retire about 15 years earlier and allow my wife to stop working immediately. Jobs like that do exist in El Paso (especially with the lower cost of living), but they don't exist for my field.

If if you work higher up in textiles, logistics, or imports/exports for several industries... you can make a TON of money out there. A lot of medial jobs also pay slightly above average due to supply/demand, and combined with lower cost of living, it can make a lot of sense.

But digital marketing - I think I'll stay in DFW or other cities with major corp offices and HQs.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs