Polk Audio Monitor 7 Eruption Series EVH 5150 Van Halen

Options
2»

Comments

• la2vegas
    la2vegas Posts: 602
    Options
    Wow, simply wow!

Man Larry these are a great example of your creativity. You took some stock 7's and created some true works of art. Your attention to detail knows no boundaries. Truly amazing these are definitely museum quality.

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,929
    edited December 2023
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Caught me off guard. Thought you were doing them in xschop-esque truck bedliner and billet. :) But these are damn cool too B) I just want to know how Dave's "Lil Dreamer" sounds on them. Beautiful work and theme execution. Very nice surprise, Larry.

So we have been listening to these for two days now, and considering I did so many different things to these it is hard to say what is doing what, and what has made the most change, also considering I never listened to these when I got them, just had no desire, and the tweeters didn’t look good anyway.

I did own a set of 7’s many years ago, they were in much better shape then these, and they were the first crossovers I ever upgraded, I had always regretted letting them go, this lady that was/is an artist bought them for her studio.

Like I said these were not in the best of shape when I got them, they needed some TLC.

Anyway, bottom line is these sound fantastic, I have no regrets with any of it, phase plugs and all, I actually forgot you did the full monty on these.

I was definitely in the club of WTH are you doing camp, and these speakers that have seen better days gave me the opportunity to try out this modification.

All I can say is the wife and I are enjoying them, she thinks they are totally cool, and was a big push in doing them.

The idea totally hinged on getting the vinyl wrap, a guy I know who has made our company logo’s for our delivery trucks is the one who made it come to light, it took a few weeks but he got it done, and I was able to start piecing it all together.

The badge with the serial number was done on our Epilog Laser.

imlcioghg68b.jpeg

The little Van Halen badges were Key Chains I found on eBay. 😎

bkocuohh190s.jpeg

I can actually change out the red face plate for the tweeters, and the red rings with Clear Anodized ones, I made both sets, not sure what direction I would like best, I decided to go with the red for now.

I have no way in trying out a stock set of drivers to compare with the phase plugged ones you did, and honestly I probably wouldn’t even care to give it a try. They sound great as is, the imaging coming out of them is fantastic IMO.

Would I do it to my SDA’s? No.

Anyway this is a lot of jabbering in saying Thank You for doing them for me, I appreciate it, they do sound fantastic.

It was nice doing a build that was unconventional, fun, and even controversial considering yours, and others posts on doing the phase plug modification.

Merry Christmas Rob.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options
    Back at ya. Enjoy the new gear and Happy New Year too.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    I was wondering how you "painted" them, vinyl wrap, that is awesome!!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Love these. So much so, that I would love to have my old 2Bs done in this manner. The TL mod has been done, and the speakers do at least sound fantastic, but the cabinets are a little on the rough side.

Only problem (besides cost) is one of us has to move. ;)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/