Y'all probably know this: but the Corvette could have been offered across GM's brands way back when

Options
mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
edited December 2023 in The Clubhouse
It's been a topic of discussion at audioasylum lately.

The 1953 Chevrolet Corvette (of course):

w9wuduaxjj9k.png

Other GM brands did have their own dream-car versions back in that era:

Buick:

hlzgrb9uftpb.png

jrd1javxxur1.png

The front looks like bad AI art, but it works from the back, I'd opine.

Olds:

k4gio85oo9bt.png

gorosxzugcgb.png

Pontiac (complete with flathead Pontiac straight 8 -- note the extra-long hood)

vr7ois8my869.png

ib4wk7e4b8sa.png

https://www.audioasylum.com/members/mgeneral/messages/55/557949.html
https://www.audioasylum.com/members/mgeneral/messages/55/557717.html
https://www.audioasylum.com/members/mgeneral/messages/55/557810.html

Comments

• mhardy6647
    edited December 2023
    Options
    on the other hand -- there's this, too.

v6c3bx1wq7wk.png
    https://www.audioasylum.com/members/mgeneral/messages/55/557935.html

Maybe, sans blower, this would have been the GMC Corvette (maybe spelled Corvet -- more manly, you know).
    I don't think GM per se was responsible for this one, though. :#
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

w9wuduaxjj9k.png

This is actually a 1955 model. All '53's were Polo White over red interior and a black top. The large "V" in the "Corvette" script indicates there is a V8 under the hood, which did not come about until 1955.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    That Buick speaks to me. I find it fascinating. Now if it came with a hemi, my britches would be ....tight.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,520
    Options
    That Buick is an interesting design, to say the least. It sort of predicted the coming of quad headlights in 1958. But what’s with the spotlight? Is is for the shotgun-riding deer hunter/poacher?
  • mhardy6647
    Options

w9wuduaxjj9k.png

This is actually a 1955 model. All '53's were Polo White over red interior and a black top. The large "V" in the "Corvette" script indicates there is a V8 under the hood, which did not come about until 1955.

Serves me right for not double-checking! Thanks, John!
    I even noticed the big "V" but didn't comprehend. :/

• SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Are those hub caps?
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Are those hub caps?

The famed aluminum “Sabre” wheels…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    That Buick is an interesting design, to say the least. It sort of predicted the coming of quad headlights in 1958. But what’s with the spotlight? Is is for the shotgun-riding deer hunter/poacher?

cvjcchgk3fhl.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Ah, thanks, John. I looked them up and the rivets they used to hold the spokes in place caused air leaking problems. That's what the lady in the red coat is doing, she's got a foot pump she's stomping on.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,694
    Options
    Here's a close-up view from the pic on the Wiki page that Mark linked:

o5394dr9rxcu.jpg
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,707
    Options

True spokes and whitewalls, once the American dream.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,962
    Options
    The Olds version is beautiful IMO….far cry from the current styling.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Ah, thanks, John. I looked them up and the rivets they used to hold the spokes in place caused air leaking problems. That's what the lady in the red coat is doing, she's got a foot pump she's stomping on.

Cadillac also had a tru-wire wheel that did leak air just by looking at them. The Sabres were a solid block of cast aluminum. No rivets were harmed in making them.

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    edited December 2023
    Options
    1965 Pontiac Bonneville with Eight-lug aluminum wheels/hubs.
    My Dad had a 65 Bonneville convertible with them. It was a good looking car back then. Same color as this car.
    96i3wdi9a35q.jpg
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    1965 Pontiac Bonneville with Eight-lug aluminum wheels/hubs.
    My Dad had a 65 Bonneville convertible with them. It was a good looking car back then. Same color as this car.
    96i3wdi9a35q.jpg

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/car-carriers/vintage-car-carrier-chevy-hauling-1962-pontiacs-including-a-gp-with-8-lug-wheels/

Finned aluminum drums with 8 lug wheels (rims) -- sort of (sort of!) Beetle-esque :) I didn't even know about these until quite recently! :blush:

zuzkudlnzyem.png