Marantz Fever

kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 5,036
edited December 2023 in 2 Channel Audio
I may get my butt kicked but want this:
https://hifiheaven.net/product/marantz-pm-14s1-reference-stereo-integrated-amp-used/
I recently scored an 8006 integrated locally and would love to do a comparison / review. Plus, the 8006 amp section pairs surprisingly well with the Joule pre amp, to my ears at least. Hmmmm.

Comments

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,835
    Who’s gonna kick your butt?

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Is that Paul @hochpt21 selling his again?

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    https://hifiheaven.net/product/marantz-pm-14s1-reference-stereo-integrated-amp-used/
    I recently scored an 8006 integrated locally and would love to do a comparison / review. Plus, the 8006 amp section pairs surprisingly well with the Joule pre amp, to my ears at least. Hmmmm.

We shall both allow and encourage it.

The one you don't have and can't hear is guaranteed to sound better in every way possible, and you will not have a peaceful night's sleep until you have it in house.

For your health and sanity, you should get it. If not for your own self care, then for God's sake man - think about your family!

I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    The Mrs. I must think this one through carefully....
  • msg
    You mean like how to hide it? We have some professionals for that, as well.

Just tell her this is the last time, like, for real - really-really - and a once in a lifetime opportunity. Not like that timeshare or an infomercial once in a lifetime opportunity, but like those old chain letters where you send out $1 to five names and get back 20 once in a lifetime opportunities. Then she'll see just how smart you really are, and will marvel at your foresight, and back this as one of the wisest things you ever proposed.

I practically guarantee that she's going to be pissed at you if you miss out. You should order asap. It would be tragic for you to wind up divorced and homeless over something as trivial as a piece of stereo equipment.

I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,533
    Synergy man

One of the best stereo setups I've ever heard was thrown together at polkfest with a hodge Podge of gear we all randomly threw together
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,923

What? Are you afraid of Tinkerbell? Seriously, I would.......hang on a sec...

*yells into the other room*

"Yes, dear..."

Crap. I gotta go. Tinkerbell is calling. I gotta go before she kicks my ***. I'll return, if I survive this episode. Later tater's.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,397

It is a big step up from the 8000 series.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,469
    Nudge. It's $100 cheaper through their Ebay store, but no free shipping. They might cut a better deal with a call. Nudge. :)
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,335

All you have to do is pull the "membership" card. We will all sign the document that reads: We at Polk Forum here by authorize the purchase of: marantz PM-14S1 Reference Stereo Integrated Amp, without any spousal retribution.

It's worked for me many times :D
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • bcwsrt
    This thread is great. Between @msg’s guidance and that ^^^, I should have a new streamer any day now!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • msg
    This thread is great. Between @msg’s guidance and that ^^^, I should have a new streamer any day now!

Dibs on your 1200 when your wife snips your brake lines?!?
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Nudge. It's $100 cheaper through their Ebay store, but no free shipping. They might cut a better deal with a call. Nudge. :)
    . Yeah man Im probably going to call Monday with a .....'I will buy it today if you can do a bit on the price' request. I have called them before and they seem very cool at HiFi Heaven, even if they are probably Packer fans lol.

• bcwsrt
    msg wrote: »

Well, how old are ya and will you outlive me? My daughter is happy with her AirPods 🙄, so I'm gonna need someone to leave this stuff to whenever I meet my ultimate demise.

Brian

• bcwsrt
    Emlyn wrote: »
    . Yeah man Im probably going to call Monday with a .....'I will buy it today if you can do a bit on the price' request. I have called them before and they seem very cool at HiFi Heaven, even if they are probably Packer fans lol.

Do, or do not. There is no probably. (Or, something like that.)

Brian

• Geoff4rfc

Well, how old are ya and will you outlive me? My daughter is happy with her AirPods 🙄, so I'm gonna need someone to leave this stuff to whenever I meet my ultimate demise.

Lol I think Scott was implying that your wife would help lead you to said ultimate demise.....use steel braided brake lines and you should be okay :D

You have a 1200??? Do tell....

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • msg
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

Lol I think Scott was implying that your wife would help lead you to said ultimate demise.....use steel braided brake lines and you should be okay :D

Lol
    EggsZachly!
    Not that kinda 1200, Geoff lol! The spinny 'lectrikal kind!
    I disabled signatures.
  • Geoff4rfc

Lol
    EggsZachly!
    Not that kinda 1200, Geoff lol! The spinny 'lectrikal kind!

Ahhh, well that makes sense. It's difficult to get by sometimes with a one track mind.......I used to have an 8 track.....Aug gug gug gug

• bcwsrt
    I did have a few of the things you're thinking of. No 1200s, but a 400, a 900, a couple 1000s, and then a few after those that were more commonly measured in cubic inches instead of cubic centimeters. 😎👍

But ... those days are over.

Brian

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,302
    I did have a few of the things you're thinking of. No 1200s, but a 400, a 900, a couple 1000s, and then a few after those that were more commonly measured in cubic inches instead of cubic centimeters. 😎👍

Enough about your beer production....
  • Geoff4rfc

Let me guess, a YAM 400, a KZ900, and a GS1000......am I close?

• bcwsrt
    edited December 2023

1 outta 3 overall, 2 outta 3 on brands! 1980 Yamaha 400, 1985 Kaw ZL900 Eliminator and 2 different (1993 and 1994) Kaw ZG1000 Concours (first one was stolen!).

Brian

• Geoff4rfc

1 outta 3 overall, 2 outta 3 on brands! 1980 Yamaha 400, 1985 Kaw ZL900 Eliminator and 2 different (1993 and 1994) Kaw ZG1000 Concours (first one was stolen!).

I gotta say it man, you're a bad a s s for sure. Those were big boy bikes. And I saw a lot of those 400's made into superbikes in the mid to late 80's.

Of course power to weight ratio was crucial in those days. The guys that raced the 400's eventually bought 750's and raced my class but they only weighed a buck 30. That was the first time I actually lost weight from a buck 75 to a buck 50 and still had to ride hard to beat them.

In the early 2000's, I raced from '03 to '08 and was in my 40's weighing a svelte 200 to 210. The 750's and liter bikes had so much HP it didn't matter what you weighed. I could have eaten 3 buckets of rocky road and still hit my top end on those bikes lol.

Thanks for sharing, it's good to know.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,121
    so kev, sooo??? @kevhed72
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • bcwsrt
    Perhaps he can't sit down to the computer due to the butt-kicking he got?!

Brian

• kevhed72
    I am waffling but just sold some speakers, so I think we have lift off soon!