Stock stereo by Revel

Options
Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,712
I was going to post this in the car audio section but that place is dead. Besides, Revel doesn't have any product in the car audio space so it's not likely anyone would be familiar at all with them. So I'm posting here. But, I picked a up a new ride in June, for many reasons, none of which were the stereo.

I don't really drive much anymore so it sits in the driveway or garage more often than not so it's taken me these last 6 months or so to get a good feel for it. I think I put 3500 miles on it since I got it, like, the first week of June.

But none of that matters except for the fact that the stereo is one of those "luxury brand names" that I thought was going to be an over-priced, supplier built, minimum spec deal to rob people of their money by slapping a fancy name on a speaker grille and basically lipsticking up a pig.

I was wrong.

Yes, most are. The Krell in Acuras is mostly just a name with fancy processing to cover up short cuts taken in driver design/build. The Mark Levinson in many cars isn't even designed by Mark Levinson, just has a company name on it that isn't even associated with Mark Levinson anymore. Even the Bang & Olufsen stuff is a joke of what the already comical home audio stuff is.

But this ride came with a Revel Ultima 3D system. Some absurd amount of drivers with, like, two dozen amplification channels. Has speakers everywhere. In the dash, in the doors, in the roof and the cargo area. Kinda reminds me of a Dolby Atmos setup.

I've had to take a couple fairly long trips (over an hour, one way) in it recently which gave me time for some critical listening. I even purposefully brought CDs so I wouldn't be plagued by any data rate artifacts in streaming content. Once I messed around with the EQ that has microphones with it to set sound stage prescience through the processing, I was able to get it dialed in to something enjoyable and not the "factory torch" settings used to impress potential buyers.

I'm really quite impressed with it at this point and was wondering if anyone had experience with Revel Audio at all and what your thoughts were. 'Cause if the Revel branded stuff is as good or better than this, then it's worth a look.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I've found premium sound systems in cars to be exactly as you described, it's either somewhat legit or pure crap. The jbl synthesis system in my wife's avalon is definitrly enjoyable aside from slightly bloated bass and some thrash in the highs.

Revel had always been regarded pretty well but I've unfortunately never heard a pair
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Revel is the top speaker line from the massive Harman empire. So that's the same company that does B&O automotive and Mark Levinson automotive.
    Being under modern corporate leadership, it sounds like they just took all the knowledge from their previous work in OEM automotive sound and tweaked it for the Lincoln. They had to use a different brand that didn't sound like Lexus or the other luxury brands.
    I'm sure it sounds great. The ML systems I've heard are among the best I've heard as well.

As for experience with Revel, I absolutely love the Revel F208 that I picked up last year. If I ever upgrade again, it will be when I find a pair of Revel Salon or Salon2 that are within a day's drive and are priced where I can justify the upgrade.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Jstas
    Options
    What's a set of Salons go for?

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    More than you can afford, pal! Revel
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    My car came with a Burmester sound system and it is really quite satisfactory, IMHO. No drivers in the roof though :/
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • billbillw
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    What's a set of Salons go for?

More than $15K new, used varies $5-10K. There is a pair with some wire/switch issues for a little under $4K right now.
  • Jstas
    Options
    Each or for a pair?

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    I had a 2000 Toyota Avalon that I loved. It had the JBL speakers. The first speaker surround I ever replaced was it's oval rear deck bass speaker. It was pretty easy to do.

I remember looking at a brand new Subaru Outback maybe 2001 in the dealer showroom. It had an in-dash McIntosh radio/cd player. I never heard one. Wonder if that was continued.
  • billbillw
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Each or for a pair?

For used, that is a pair price. Not sure about new. No, they are not Focal Grand Utopias or anything that millionaires would drool over, but for the price, Revel are really hard to beat. I'm firmly in the middle class and that's about as high as I will shoot for a pair of speakers.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't update unless I had a different listening room because the original Salons are too deep and require placement that would create similar issues to my old SS-M9. The Salon2 are currently a bit too pricey.
    Post edited by billbillw on
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I have had a JBL stock factory system in my four Siennas and in my Tundra. They all performed very good to my ears compared to other systems in other cars. I never cared for anything Bose. I have never heard their headphones though. But my cousin had a 99’ Maxima SE with a Bose system and it really sounded good! Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,344
    Options
    The Bose noise cancelling headphones that come with a Tahoe LTZ are actually (and very surprisingly) pretty good sounding.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jstas
    Options
    It's a shame it's illegal in NJ to use headphones while driving.

• billbillw
    Options
    It's a shame it's illegal in NJ to use headphones while driving.

I think that is in most states. Definitely also in Georgia.
    I guess the headphones are for rear passengers watching media? Not sure...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Illegal in Illinois as well. but hey you can play your 2 million gigawatt stereo as loud as you want.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,344
    Options
    Yes, the headphones are for the kids watching movies in the back or passenger seat up front. As a driver in NC/SC, you cannot wear headphones while driving.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,053
    Options
    People dont need to wear headphones while Driving
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,028
    Options
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    I never cared for anything Bose. I have never heard their headphones though. But my cousin had a 99’ Maxima SE with a Bose system and it really sounded good! Peace. D

After replacing the drivers (with Polk) and tweaking the EQ to the max, the Bose system in my 2015 Chevy Traverse is acceptable.
    Stock Bose drivers were tiny magnet/coil trash. The amp/default EQ were designed to try to compensate but resulted in an awful response curve ala flabby bassy Bose sound many expect/enjoy.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.