Hello... Are you there?

Options
nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
edited December 2023 in The Clubhouse
I am so sick of these dammed phone calls that start off with "hello, are you there?" I must be getting a dozen of these a day and they drive me nuckin' FUTZ! These damn scammers just want to get a recording of you saying "yes" or some other word that gets them access to use your voiceprint for whatever it is they are trying to scam.

I am getting to the point where I am just going to stop answering my phone...
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I NEVER answer a call from a number that's not in my contact list. If it ends up being legitimate, they leave a voicemail and I call them back. I know some guys that answer something like, "This is officer such-and-such from the Office of Homeland Security, can I help you?" in order to scare the scammers off, but I'd just as soon not deal with them at all.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    This will fix the issue. q37m0rckzxwk.png
    Randy/Maine
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Sure just better make sure you have your earplugs in beforehand.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    Drew, you put it into the phone mic, silly. Not your own ear...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Tom, it's an air horn, it'll still be loud as **** even if you point it away from you. Good luck with that.

Drew
  • treitz3
    Options
    Okay, humor is not your thing on a Friday night. Duly noted. ;)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Who'd you learn your sense of humor from, nooshin john?
  • treitz3
    Options
    Russ, unfortunately. Lots of help needed in this arena, TBT.

Tom
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Who'd you learn your sense of humor from, nooshin john?

What’s wrong with my sense of humor?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    I am so sick of these dammed phone calls that start off with "hello, are you there?" I must be getting a dozen of these a day and they drive me nuckin' FUTZ! These damn scammers just want to get a recording of you saying "yes" or some other word that gets them access to use your voiceprint for whatever it is they are trying to scam.

I am getting to the point where I am just going to stop answering my phone...

If it's a cell phone I use the Google Screening Assistant to answer and if it's someone I know after they respond, then I click to talk. It's a great feature of Android phones.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    For reference guys, a canned air horn is 120dB to 129dB and easily heard over a mile away.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    If you have a smartphone there's an option to forward all calls to voicemail so you don't have to deal with them. If a call is important they'll leave a message; the puke won't.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    When I was in grad school (a long time ago) we didn't - at first - have voicemail on the phones in the lab. My advisor was endlessly amused if we scrambled to answer a ringing phone. Often would he say "If it's important, they'll call back." :|

He was (still is, in fact) a wise man.
    Photo from BITD. :)
    35c3k0hfsb9d.png

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    I'm self employed with cell only, no land line. I must answer every call . . . or loose biz. I can tell in 3 seconds if it's a legit call, if not, I hang up
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • boston1450
    Options
    I carry 2 cellphones with me at all times. Business phone & personal phone. I have USCellular & haven't had too many spam calls knock on wood.... Last Friday I went to use my Debit card at a store for propane sale & after I put my pin in - it asked me for my phone number ???? I did not & will not. Not sure what that's all about
    Randy/Maine
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    I carry 2 cellphones with me at all times. Business phone & personal phone. I have USCellular & haven't had too many spam calls knock on wood.... Last Friday I went to use my Debit card at a store for propane sale & after I put my pin in - it asked me for my phone number ???? I did not & will not. Not sure what that's all about

I've had gas stations ask for zip code if using a debit card for credit, but nothing is asked if a pin # is typed in.
  • boston1450
    Options
    Same here. Never had that question asked after I entered pin ask for phone number. Clerk said it was something new & they didn't even know why. Just new policy & customer can op out. It's probably a marketing thing. What next
    Randy/Maine