Monitor 7B Upgrade Suggestions Needed

Options
maawr40
maawr40 Posts: 3
edited November 2023 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I have rebuilt a few sets of speakers in the past, one set being Monitor 10B's. Throughout my research then I came across articles in this forum that helped me a lot. I now have found a set of Monitor 7B's at Goodwill. I am going to restore these and was curious if any others had projects to share of the same set. videos, pictures, knowledge. Anything really, I just love this hobby and see there is a lot of love for these series of speakers. Mainly, what caps are most used, just Sonicap for high end? What about Clarity cap? I used Solen on my Monitor 10 and was very happy. I need to at least replace both tweeter diaphragms (where can I get the best ones) however, I prefer replacing with the SL1000 1984 version they look to be similar to my Monitor 10's SL2000's, was thinking might more impressive that the ones in here now, that cool to do? lol. Radiators and mid drivers a minty. I feel perfectly comfortable doing all the work. Thank you

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Solen caps suck. Use all Sonicap for those speakers. Leave the Peerless tweeters alone!!!

Replace the nasty sounding SL2000 with the RD0194-1 in your 10's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    hbs60id1fhng.jpg
    bd7sr4gucgud.jpg
    pxayqxpkuqp0.jpg
    qz1yac4dim7h.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    I wanted to get rid of the fuse to start with and that's what I found. I added a .5 ohm resistor to compensate for the resistance of the fuse/fuse holder/wiring.

President of Club Polk

• maawr40
    Options
    Noted, and will do as instructed. I knew I came to the right place. thank you
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    maawr40 wrote: »
    Noted, and will do as instructed. I knew I came to the right place. thank you

^^^^ This is a refreshing attitude. Welcome.
  • maawr40
    Options
    Cannot argue with El Presidente! I am just glad you guys are here. Thanks again
  • DozerCSX
    Options
    Looks great! You are going to be super happy with the results.
    These speakers are rare, unique and EPIC. Matthew Polk's personal favorites from the early days. Mine, too 😉
    HT1: Polk Monitor 7C's L/R, Polk CS400i center (bi-wire)
    Sides: Polk RT10+, modified with Vifa 1" polymer dome tweeters
    Rears: Polk VX300i surround speakers
    Subwoofer: Pioneer PSW-8mk2
    Receiver: Denon HD-750H 7.1

HT2: Polk CS175i+ L/Rs with Vifa 1" polymer dome tweeter
    Center: Polk CS300
    Sub: modified Polk PSW10 (ratcage fix)
    Surrounds: CSW cubes sides, rears
    Panasonic SA-XR57
  • Jafy
    Jafy Posts: 1
    Options
    Just found this forum and post. I have a pair of 7B's, with the 6500 drivers 12uf and 34uf caps, 2.7ohm and 4.5ohm (5 watts) resistors. I'm going to update the 40+ year old caps and resistors (sonics and mills) and am considering removing the fuse/holder/wiring as well. I believe F1nut tested the fuse at 0.2 ohms and added an additional 0.3 ohms for the holder and wiring. My question is did F1nut add an additional resistor to his board (and would love to see that photo) or did he adjust the resistance on the other resistors? I think it's the former, but want to confirm and would like to know how that was wired together.

I'll probably rewire the cabinets and the binding posts/plates as well. Sorry for hijacking this post!
  • F1nut
    Options
    Read this thread from the beginning.

President of Club Polk