Sennheiser HE1

2»

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,543
    F1nut wrote: »
    The imaging was dense, you close your eyes and the stage is right there.
    You'll get the same with a pair of modded vintage SDA speakers and save tens of thousands.

I want something I can put anywhere in the house. I don’t know how I can put an sda without consideration of the room.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Connected with a user on whatsbestforum…

Hey,
    I'm probably the only person to have owned 2 of them. I sold my first one and tried to recreate. Impossible.
    Was also one of the very first on the original waiting list and was invited to listen to a prototype in the UK.
    The second one is a keeper. It is truly a unique system. The only other system I plan on buying is the original - it *may* have the edge for classical.
    You will not regret it - I promise you - nothing even comes close. It is borderline a spiritual experience every time I listen (every night).
    The DAC is not in the same league though as the rest of the HE1 - but good enough to start with. I only noticed when I connected an MSB Select.
    Good power makes a difference but high-end xlr cables do not in my experience. I saw no improvement when adding Valhalla II's versus Blue Jeans.
    I recommend experimenting with the cross-talk setting. I didn't on my first one - it makes a difference on many tracks.
    It's also a future collectors item. I'm not sure how long they keep making them now due to price rises and the new ownership. Think they are now assembled in Ireland.

Go for it!

Keep me posted

Marc
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,926
    Have you even looked into Audeze headphones, or are they not expensive/exclusive enough for your taste?
  • Joey_V
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Have you even looked into Audeze headphones, or are they not expensive/exclusive enough for your taste?

At canjam it was my opportunity to find out what I liked and didn’t like. I got to listen to much of the audeze including the LCD5 and the CRBN.

I had high hopes especially for the CRBN since that was also an electrostat. I watched videos of its developments.

But when I heard the Audezes… I didn’t like the tone or the bass. Felt closed in. Didn’t like them and I also felt like my ears would touch the CRBN inner pad/chamber.

I also demoed the Warwick bravura and aperio, still no go.

Listened to all the sennheiser dynamic phones… sounded broken.

The two best I heard were Stax x9000 and 009s on LTA Z10e amplifier.
  • Joey_V
    Found a potential lead in Australia.
    Will see where this goes.
  • I remember selling a customer a system with Stax headphones and a Janis subwoofer. He sat on the woofer and listened with the headphones, that was his main way of listening.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,479
    Well... He definitrly felt the bass
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,926
    Joey_V wrote: »

At canjam it was my opportunity to find out what I liked and didn’t like. I got to listen to much of the audeze including the LCD5 and the CRBN.

I had high hopes especially for the CRBN since that was also an electrostat. I watched videos of its developments.

But when I heard the Audezes… I didn’t like the tone or the bass. Felt closed in. Didn’t like them and I also felt like my ears would touch the CRBN inner pad/chamber.

Were the show conditions conducive to properly evaluating open back headphones?

Your description of the Audeze is strange, the last way I would describe my LCD-3 is closed in. They're incredibly expansive with a three dimensional soundstage.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,479
    mabi3tplj0xv.gif
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V wrote: »

Were the show conditions conducive to properly evaluating open back headphones?

Your description of the Audeze is strange, the last way I would describe my LCD-3 is closed in. They're incredibly expansive with a three dimensional soundstage.

All units were equally affected by the open ballroom, but of course, critical listening requires a quieter room.

Not sure why I didn't like the Audeze, but it was very clear upon listening and then flipping over to a different brand, which I preferred. The bass was too prominent in some units and the overall sound signature/curve was not to my liking. Just my opinion.

I thought the Stax was clean and just balanced.

But the HE1 was definitely a weird trip.