Eversolo DMP-A8

Options
gyosa
gyosa Posts: 712
edited November 2023 in Going Digital
Anyone have any thoughts on the A8 ?

https://www.eversolo.com/Product/index/model/DMP-A8/target/uXoirEESmeVKKmVViAFMcQ==.html

Just pre-ordered one to replace my Cambridge 851N.

As much as I love the 851N , I’ve really wanted a unit that has HDMI ARC input in order to simplify my system .

I hope TIDAL releases the “tidal connect” codec update for hi-res FLAC before It arrives so I can compare ..
Interestingly , even though the codec hasn’t been released , my 851 stream magic app displays the hi-res flac info when playing those songs via connect.
Hmmmmmm…

I’m currently running 2 separate systems for music and TV via a speaker selector switch - a real pain.

If it’s as good as the reviews say the A6 is , it should be nice , but it better be , at more than twice the price 😢…

Bk

BK
PS Audio S300 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Salk SuperCharged Songtowers , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Ascend Acoustics ELX Ribbon Towers , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN system

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
Post edited by gyosa on

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    A8 is larger and newer. Not sure about the power supply on it, whether linear or SMPS, but would presume SMPS since that is what A6 has (as well as most other streamers regardless of price).

A6 has a LPS power supply upgrade available (no affiliation) :

https://www.beatechnik.com/lhy-audio
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • gyosa
    Options
    It has dual power supplies , linear and SMPS…

BK
    PS Audio S300 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Salk SuperCharged Songtowers , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Ascend Acoustics ELX Ribbon Towers , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN system

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,386
    edited November 2023
    Options
    With that model they now look like a serious audio company. Software may be a bit glitchy for a while longer though but they can fix that stuff with firmware updates.

Having an option for 4TB of local storage on a replaceable SSD is a huge plus for me.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    How is the DMP-A8 pre-ordered?
  • gyosa
    Options
    Summit HiFi ….
    They extend the warranty to 2 years .

Bk

Emlyn wrote: »
    How is the DMP-A8 pre-ordered?

• Emlyn
    Options
    The online buzz on the DMP-A8 in the last few days is quite positive.

FWIW the marketing material from Eversolo seems to imply that having the onboard option for an SSD produces better audio quality and speed than the USB interface option.

From seeing under the hood on that model everything seems to be high quality and well laid out.
  • gyosa
    Options
    Arrived today ……

izhw6xd75fcz.jpeg

• gyosa
    Options
    So far so good ….

Hooking it up to a spare system first so I don’t get any surprises…

src1thfefrr3.jpeg

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,630
    Options
    Curious if you use Apple Music (in addition to Tidal as you mentioned and show in your photo) and what your thoughts are about it?

I would like to eventually get away from being tethered to my DAC with my MacBook in order to play Apple Lossless content.

CD ripping to the SSD is also intriguing.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • gyosa
    Options
    Sorry ,
    I have never used Apple Music , just Tidal .

Bk

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    Options
    I just read up on the 8. Looks like an r2r dac. Probably a big improvement over the 6.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • gyosa
    Options
    I think the “biggie” is going to be the analog ladder volume control , AKM chipset and the PEQ DSP .

Bk

erniejade wrote: »
    I just read up on the 8. Looks like an r2r dac. Probably a big improvement over the 6.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,317
    Options
    Ooo. Its only the volume that is R2R or ladder not the dac itself.

Its getting some very good reviews.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • gyosa
    Options
    Yes , that’s my understanding…

It’s pretty cool … when you adjust the volume you can hear the resistors going click click click …..

Bk

Ooo. It’s only the volume that is R2R or ladder not the dac itself.

• tophatjohnny
    Options
    Looks like an anxious move and one that might and probably not sound a whole lot better than the 851n but hearing from you on that will be interesting
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • gyosa
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I have zero complaints with the 851’s sound quality- as a matter of fact , when I first got it , I was floored by how good it sounded - especially the separation between channels , due to the dual mono design using 2 separate DAC chips …. I’d be surprised if most people could hear a difference between the two - competent dac’s and streamers have gotten so good these days.

I decided to give the A8 a shot mainly in an attempt to simplify my system….. I really wanted a HDMI ARC input - so I could ditch the onkyo AVR that was running the TV , and I had some extra cash sitting around ..😃

Gotta admit it sounds pretty good so far - I like the ability to be able to PEQ the setup ….

It’s amazing what it’ll do …. Customization out the wazoo - anything you’d want to control , from sound to inputs to operating system….. it’s there …

I don’t presume to have golden ears , as long as it sounds as good as the 851, I’m happy .

Bk

Looks like an anxious move and one that might and probably not sound a whole lot better than the 851n but hearing from you on that will be interesting

• jbreezy5
    edited January 13
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »

It’s pretty cool … when you adjust the volume you can hear the resistors going click click click …..

Bk

One specific question I have is, “How natural are the volume adjustments when doing so by remote?”

With the Freya+ it was very difficult to get the specific volume desired, b/c a single button press could result in 2-4 resistor clicks. Don’t think I ever was able to get a single click from a single button press on the volume.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    @gyosa:

Formal review on the way?

I’m sitting on the edge of my seat as I’m comparing this to Aurender gear.

Seems hard to lose with either, but the feature set and wi-fi capability make this very appealing.

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,630
    Options
    He's probably waiting for @msg to review his new Hana cartridge and @pearsall001 his REL subs! 😝

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • gyosa
    edited January 14
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »

Bk

One specific question I have is, “How natural are the volume adjustments when doing so by remote?”

With the Freya+ it was very difficult to get the specific volume desired, b/c a single button press could result in 2-4 resistor clicks. Don’t think I ever was able to get a single click from a single button press on the volume.

Very natural … a tap of either the remote or app volume button results in a .5db change - or you can hold it down for a more rapid increase. The volume step is user selectable , .5db , 1 , 2 or 3db.
    I have mine set to .5db.

Works great …

Bk

• gyosa
    edited January 14
    Options
    @gyosa:

Seems hard to lose with either, but the feature set and wi-fi capability make this very appealing.

You’re the only one who has expressed interest ….

Yes , I’ll post a review soon.
    I’ll say this , no complaints …. Might be a game changer in its category - no need to spend more money from what I’ve experienced so far - and I have a fairly “decent” system / systems.

Bk

Post edited by gyosa on

• jbreezy5
    Options
    @gyosa:

You’re the only one who has expressed interest ….

Yes , I’ll post a review soon.
    I’ll say this , no complaints …. Might be a game changer in its category - no need to spend more money from what I’ve experienced so far - and I have a fairly “decent” system / systems.

Bk

That’s how I roll. Thx! 🙏

https://youtu.be/WyF8RHM1OCg?si=sU-zFiiWVcwskH3z