ABATRON WoodEpox Monitor 7’s

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,945
edited November 2023 in Vintage Speakers
Anyone used this stuff before? I have some Monitor 7’s with some small nicked corners, and along the back edge I would like to fill so I have a nice square edge before I vinyl wrap these.

deb209pd0d2n.jpeg

They are small nicks and they are all just along the back side.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,091
    Options
    Abatron would be a great amplifier company name
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    Options
    I use the Mohawk epoxy stick.
    https://www.mohawkproducts.com/Mohawk-Epoxy-Putty-Sticks-Standard-Colors-p/m743.htm

I do it differently than what their video shows. I only use the natural color and dampen my fingers with a little bit of water as a lube when mixing it otherwise it sticks to my fingers. After pressing into place I use a putty knife dipped in water to remove the excess and smooth out the area. I've found it works best to wait 24 hours before sanding, coloring and top coating.

The reason I only use the natural is the repair has to be colored/blended anyway.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Here's another option I've successfully used for years. It's very similar to the Abatron product, but is a bit more tacky and workable before curing IMHO:
    zi3lvlwilsei.jpg

If you have a very crumbly/porous surface you can soak and harden it with this first:
    twws3itsds3c.jpg

Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • Toolfan66
    edited November 2023
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    https://www.mohawkproducts.com/Mohawk-Epoxy-Putty-Sticks-Standard-Colors-p/m743.htm

I do it differently than what their video shows. I only use the natural color and dampen my fingers with a little bit of water as a lube when mixing it otherwise it sticks to my fingers. After pressing into place I use a putty knife dipped in water to remove the excess and smooth out the area. I've found it works best to wait 24 hours before sanding, coloring and top coating.

The reason I only use the natural is the repair has to be colored/blended anyway.

Jesse,

Do you think one stick will do what I need? I don ‘t see where is says how big the stick is..

Edit: I just watched the video, one stick looks like it will be more than enough.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,656
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Do you think one stick will do what I need? I don ‘t see where is says how big the stick is..

Not gonna do it. Too easy 😎
  • F1nut
    edited November 2023
    Options

Jesse,

Way more than enough. The stick itself is about 7.5" long by 7/8" in diameter. You might use an inch of it. Cut off and knead just enough for each area and work fast. Large amounts harden quicker than small amounts.

When kneading and using water as a lube you want your fingers damp, not wet. Too much water will make a mess of the putty.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Options

Jesse,

Way more than enough. The stick itself is about 7.5" long by 7/8" in diameter. You might use an inch of it. Cut off and kneed just enough for each area and work fast. Large amounts harden quicker than small amounts.

Thanks Jesse!!

• F1nut
    Options
    Another tip. When doing corners and edges with any of those products it's best to rough in the filler rather than trying to make it perfect, that comes after the filler has fully cured. I like to use a brand new single edge razor blade to cut off the excess, which keeps any sanding to the bare minimum.

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Options
    Ordered from Amazon, saved me on shipping, Mohawk wanted $19.00 to ship it. Amazon was free..
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    Jesse,

This stuff is amazing, easy to use, quick and easy to sand.
    I definitely won’t even use an inch on this stuff.
    I did the corners just as you suggested. Pressed in, roughed it in, and sanded it into shape, a little finesse goes a long way..
  • F1nut
    Options
    Great, I'm glad it worked out for you. If you keep the rest in an air tight container you can extend its shelf life.

President of Club Polk