Digital output question

Options
GlennDog
GlennDog Posts: 3,093
edited October 2023 in 2 Channel Audio
Another newbie question. In a quest to determine which black boxes “control the sound,” I’ve pulled this quote from another audio forum.

thread title
Digital Audio Output Differences? Is USB Audio Really The Top-notch?

body
One big difference between AES/EBU, S/PDIF, I2S and USB is that in the former group, the clock in the server determines the overall jitter and timing performance of the system. In the case of USB, the DAC’s clock and receiver circuitry determine the overall performance

My question is, is this statement true all the time, some of the time or god forbid it depends??

This would help me greatly in determining which cable path to follow and which DAC and/or steamer/transport to pursue.

TIA for your help

Edit: personal experience suggests DAC and usb, albeit limited experience
AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
Pre Cary SLP-05
Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
Mains Salk HT2-TL
Rythmik F12

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited October 2023
    Options
    It really all depends on implementation. The clock is embedded in S/PDIF and the DAC must sort the clock out from data. Some DAC chips do a better job with it. ESS Sabre chips did a really good job with S/PDIF. They have a patent on their process. When I built ESS Sabre DAC's, I could get just a little better sound quality with USB to I2S.

With USB to I2S, the clock is separate from data and can sound better than S/PDIF. IMO best results are achieved with isolation and reclocking. USB to I2S or I2S over HDMI with no isolation can bring noise from the device feeding the DAC. If you go the streamer or server route, maybe look for a DAC with ethernet.

My only experience with AES/EBU was with a transport to the first DAC I built. IIRC there were two standards for voltage with it.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *