Insane price for IEMs

Options
Keiko
Keiko Posts: 764
I started a thread about the Kiwi Ears Cadenza IEM and for only 35.00 I like them a lot.

Doing some research on IEMs since I bought the Cadenza's and found out quickly that some of these things go for an outrageous price IMHO. Now to be fair, I've never heard/owned any IEM or headphone that even comes close to this price point and they might be worth every penny. Regardless, still too rich for my blood.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/U18t--64-audio-u18t-18-driver-universal-in-ear-monitors

There's a discussion on the forum about these that retail for just under 5k.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/headphones/yh-5000se/index.html

Unless I win the lottery or someone on here decides to have a generous Karma, I'll be staying with my lowly Cadenza IEMs, my Yamaha RH5MA and JVC HA-RX700s. All budget models and all Keiko approved.

Since buying the Cadenza's, I am looking into other budget IEMs and want to get maybe 2 more pair just to compare and play around with. I've heard good things about the QoA Gimlet and the KZ ZS10 Pro and upgraded Pro X. Tons of choices for budget IEMs and I've given these a hard look for a possible purchase later on down the road. I first want to upgrade my Goldring E3 to the E4 stylus, but that's another topic in another thread. ;)

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    I have been more and more into headfi lately. It seems that the consensus is that what you used to get for $1000 in IEM in the past, can now be found in $200 IEMs, so that's apparently the sweet spot. Not these $5000 ones.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,603
    Options
    Aptly named product. Just need a “$” in there … YH-$5000SE.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    In ear monitors that are expensive are usually molded to your ear which can add alot of cost
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 701
    Options
    I have a few pairs of these …
    Out of production now , but I really like them …
    They’re itty-bitty , teeny-tiny and sound great !

https://earphonia.com/earphones-iems-ciems/q-jays-review-refined-resilient-reference/
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO