High-End Monitors

Options
https://www.pureartfi.com/ls-6

Got to listen to a pair of these in my system for a couple of hours this weekend and the sound was outstanding. They haven't figured out pricing yet, but I don't expect them to be cheap.

We plopped them down where other speakers have sounded good in my room with the tweeters aimed just outside of the listening position (i.e., you could see the side panel) and never moved them.

The speakers disappeared and the sound of the recording space was readily apparent. Depth was superb. A very transparent window on the music, but without becoming analytical. We never felt the need to skip to the next song...no listening fatigue.

They use the Purifi woofers and passives, which are supposed to be ultra-low distortion drivers, and they certainly sound that way. I was duly impressed.

Speaking of being impressed, at least to my inexperienced eye, the box was very well built with a beautiful finish. I'll let F1 Nut provide a more nuanced review of the finish based on the pics on their website.

Electronics were: Technics Sp-15 table with SAEC WE-308SX (with Accuphase AC-1 cart) & Ortofon AS-309 (with Ikeda 9C2 cart) arms feeding an American Hybrid Technology AHT-P Non-Signature phono preamp. On the digital side, the Oppo BDP-105D was fed via USB from a laptop. Preamp was an Ayre K-5XEmp and amp was a Rowland Model 1 (I had the front-end modules upgraded 5 or 6 years ago by the man himself). AQ King Cobra interconnects and Nordost Red Dawn speaker cables rounded out the system.

Between the Ikeda and Accuphase carts, I preferred the Accuphase overall. The Ikeda gives more of a spooky you are there vibe, but is noticeably brighter than the Accuphase.

I have no reservations about the sound of the speakers, but you'll notice that the binding posts are at the base of the stands. There's a Neutrik connector in the top plate of the stands that has to mate with the bottom of the speaker and getting that connection was a bit of a pain and definitely a 2-person operation.

But, if I could have traded a bunch of gear I had sitting around for those speakers, I would have done it in a heartbeat.

Might have to sell the wife and kids for scientific experiment... ;)

P.S. I have no financial involvement in this company. I sold a piece of gear to the woodwoking half of the company for market price. There was no quid pro quo for me to spread the word on their behalf. If I hadn't liked them, I wouldn't be posting this here.

Alon Petite / Infinity 1.2S / Coda Continuum / Counterpoint SA5000 / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Nice looking selection of veneers and solid woods. I’m guessing they will come in at five figures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,800
    Options
    Beautiful speakers, I love that the stands have the binding post at the bottom.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,703
    Options
    These are probably also worth at a look at/around this price: https://dutchdutch.com/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,290
    Options
    From the website:
    The solution is a horn waveguide loaded ribbon plainer type.
    hmm... one'd have thought they'd have gone with the ribbon fancier type.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,240
    Options
    Monitors with room correction built in, fancy
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,290
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Monitors with room correction built in, fancy

You're referring to the Dutch & Dutch loudspeakers, I presume?
    I see no mention of such for these "PureArtFi" loudspeakers, which appear to be fairly traditional passives, albeit using "luxury woofers" (their term).

Yeah, the Dutch & Dutch are reported in many places to be about as good as it gets in terms of small monitor-type loudspeakers. I've not heard them yet, but the buzz (so to speak) about them is superlative.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,240
    Options
    Correct, it appears they use room correction.

I think that is over simplified marketing...

Room correction does require equalization which can dramatically alter overall volume capabilities and dramatically increase power needs.

Near field it wouldn't matter of course but far field is a far different game

I have heard nothing but good things about the purifi drivers, I am sure they perform!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.