Tweeter rebuild

Options
I have some RTI4 tweeters that need repair. Has anybody ever replaced the tweeter driver or rebuilt them? I've see listings for replacement dome diaphragms. What would be the process of removing the driver from it's faceplate and replacing the domes?
Polk RTIA3 Fronts
Polk CSIA4 Center
Polk PSW Sub
Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
And a friendly Labrador Retriever

Answers

• ChrisD06
    Options
    So for these tweeters you'll struggle a lot more than if it were the older style ferrite magnets.

Polk switched to neodymium for the RTi lineup and this resulted in them using some sort of glue/epoxy to hold the magnets on. Taking off the magnet to remove the diaphragm will be nearly impossible and you'll probably end up destroying the tweeter.
  • toolbelt
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    So for these tweeters you'll struggle a lot more than if it were the older style ferrite magnets.

Polk switched to neodymium for the RTi lineup and this resulted in them using some sort of glue/epoxy to hold the magnets on. Taking off the magnet to remove the diaphragm will be nearly impossible and you'll probably end up destroying the tweeter.

Ok so it isn't just me looking at them and wondering where to begin then? lol Seems with the odd shaped faceplate and semi-permanently installed driver, Polk doesn't want them repaired?
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    toolbelt wrote: »
    ChrisD06 wrote: »

Ok so it isn't just me looking at them and wondering where to begin then? lol Seems with the odd shaped faceplate and semi-permanently installed driver, Polk doesn't want them repaired?

It's not that they made them unrepairable, it's moreso they didn't factor in Chinese diaphragm replicas being on Ebay.

It's disappointing you can't replace the ferrofluid but they have a BOM to work with and a certain cost, and saving a buck in one spot is a buck spent elsewhere. Can't blame them for gluing it even though it's annoying
  • toolbelt
    Options
    I keep wanting to repair my RTI4's just as a fun project (as I recently picked up far superior RTIa3's), but I seem thwarted at every turn. I don't need the 4's, and would likely just put them into storage to be used as rears at some point in the yet-needed HT I'm planning in the basement in 20 years. Oh well. :#
    Polk RTIA3 Fronts
    Polk CSIA4 Center
    Polk PSW Sub
    Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Just sell the parts.