Tweeter Placement

audiobliss
audiobliss Posts: 12,518
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've been discussing the placement of speakers in my '95 2-door Jeep Cherokee in the 'Car Audio Receiver' thread. I was getting just a little off subject, so here's a thread for that.

I've been thinking about where to mount the tweeters if I go with a component system. I've found a perfect place in the door panels. Right in front of the door latch, or w/e you call it, there is a perfect little black rectangle of nothing!! Just a rectanlge of black, thin metal, me thinks. It has a pretty silver border inside it. I was wondering if somebody could cut out along the inside of that border and pop in a black, mesh grill there and put the tweeter behind that. Maybe someone could just cut a little circle just large enough and put a round grill there; or maybe the grill on the tweeter would suffice. I've attached pics so y'all can see if you think it's plausible. Also, tell me if you think I'd get good imaging this way.

Thanks.
Jstas wrote: »
Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
In Use
PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
Epson 8700UB

In Storage
[Home Audio]
Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
Post edited by audiobliss on

Comments

• audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Here's a pic of the door panel up close. Y'all think someone could just cut some kind of a hole out to put a tweeter back there?
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Here's a pic of the right door panel pretty much from the driver's head. Tell me if you think I could get good imaging this way.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Lastly, here's a pic of the left door's panel. I sure hope y'all think this will work, 'cuase this is by far the best idea I've come up with yet: factory look, (I hope) good imaging, and no costly kick panels.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    And, here's the pic I meant to attach to that last post. :D:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    And, of course, when you hit 'Submit Repy' and it says 'Administrator will only let you make one post evry 30 seconds, you hit the back button. Then, you no longer have the image attached. Arrgggg. I really am smarter than this....I think
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Any and all suggestions/critiques are very welcome; start in!!

Thanks!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    i think it would work great, if you got the momo tweeters, and some other companies offer this too...they have a casing which allows you to swivel the tweeter a little bit
    just point it towards you and i think itd be a great idea
    :)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    You see, though, there's the thing. I can afford Momo coaxials, or db components; not Momo components. Actually, since I haven't seen what the local store sells them for, I might can't afford any of them!! But, the db tweeters don't do that? We are talking components, right? 'Cause I know the tweeters in the MMC525 swivel. I can't exaclty see how the tweeters in the component set would swivel...

Thanks!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by audiobliss
    I've been discussing the placement of speakers in my '95 2-door Jeep Cherokee in the 'Car Audio Receiver' thread. I was getting just a little off subject, so here's a thread for that.

I've been thinking about where to mount the tweeters if I go with a component system. I've found a perfect place in the door panels. Right in front of the door latch, or w/e you call it, there is a perfect little black rectangle of nothing!! Just a rectanlge of black, thin metal, me thinks. It has a pretty silver border inside it. I was wondering if somebody could cut out along the inside of that border and pop in a black, mesh grill there and put the tweeter behind that. Maybe someone could just cut a little circle just large enough and put a round grill there; or maybe the grill on the tweeter would suffice. I've attached pics so y'all can see if you think it's plausible. Also, tell me if you think I'd get good imaging this way.

Thanks.

That location is perfect for an easy place to put your tweeter with pretty decent sound results. On the other hand, you're going to have a huge angle between where the left tweeter is on-axis and where your head is. Result? The highs aren't really going to be there on the left side... not really a big problem until only the left channel is playing and you'll notice it sound kinda dead.

Just a heads up... not saying you have to change the install. Its DEFINITELY going to be a lot less painful if you don't have the experience or the money to pay someone to build kick panels or a spot on the A-pillars for the tweets.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    the tweeters dont directly mount to anywhere unless theyre glued(like mine)
    they go in a case, im not sure about the DBs, but with the MOMOs they come with a flush mount or surface mount case
    you pop the tweeter in the case and in the case theyre able to swivel around a little bit
    after thinking about it...im pretty sure the DB comps. have it...i think i remember seeing them in a swivel type case at Circuit City...id do with the DB comps over the MOMO coaxials
    sounds like a plan:D
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Alright!! Thanks!! A lot!! Now I know what I want when (if :rolleyes: ) I ever get to actually go to one of the audio stores around here. I hope they agree and will do it all for real cheap. :D We'll see. I'll let you guys know what comes of all this.

I really appreciate all of y'all's help! Next thing: Amps!! :D:D:D
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    One thing you should do before deciding on where to mount your tweeters is when you get them, hook them up by just running a long wire from the x-over to the tweeter and then stick them in different places and see how they sound. You might discover they sound a lot better somewhere else. Its not that hard to do and can virtually guarantee youll mount them where they work best and rather where theyre easiest to install.

BK is right in that your soundstage will shift to the right a good bit. The reason for this is that higher frequencies are very directional and with the tweeter mounted low (unless it is aimed at you) will put the right side tweet on a more linear plane than the left side on to your ear.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • geolemon
    geolemon Posts: 67
    edited June 2004
    The good news is, with that higher tweeter location, chances are your soundstage will at least have a decent height - and height is reportedly the most important factor to most audiophiles - new and experienced alike.

The bad news is, imaging is likely to be difficult with that location, since the left pathlength distance vs. right pathlength distance differential will be much greater than say, down at your mids, or even better (and THE reason why they are used) kick-panel locations. ;)

Which isn't meant to say it will be bad...
    Every vehicle has it's own unique set of complicated acoustics that ultimately combine with the unique acoustics of your speakers (factoring in particular absolute pathlength distance differences between the mid and tweet, and how the Xover is designed with respect to those distances)...
    ...which means at the end of the day - what MacLeod (MacLoud? :D) says is absolutely the 100% best way to go about it, IMO:
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    One thing you should do before deciding on where to mount your tweeters is when you get them, hook them up by just running a long wire from the x-over to the tweeter and then stick them in different places and see how they sound. You might discover they sound a lot better somewhere else. Its not that hard to do and can virtually guarantee youll mount them where they work best and rather where theyre easiest to install.
    "Try it before you buy it", if you will.

Nothing would suck more than cutting holes and installing, to find that it's a horrible location.

I definitely agree... simply wire up your tweets temporarily using a good length of wire, and adhere them (using the surface-mount cup) in different locations of your interior, using a good double-sided foam tape. 3M makes a good foam tape, meant for adhering bodykits to cars, that sticks well, and releases well off plastics. :cool:

Good luck!
  • audiobliss
    edited June 2004
    Thanks!!! I'm not going to be installing them myself, but I'll see if I can't get to hear them in different positions so as to find the best place for them.

I really appreciate all the info and great suggestions you guys have had. This forum is a wonderful resource!!

Thanks!!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited June 2004
    I like attaching tweeters to the back sides of the air vents. Then you can aim them really well and theives don't see them.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • audiobliss
    edited July 2004
    Ya know, that's a great idea!! I'll see if that won't work. j/c, what do you attach them to back there? Is there a plate or something behind the vents?

Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited July 2004
    PolkThug, you obviously dont live in south texas, otherwise you would know that you should never put anything that might obstruct cold air:D
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited July 2004
    I was just wonderin': can anyone think of any reason why I shouldn't mount my tweeters behind the air vents in my Jeep? I think that's the best idea I've gotten yet. Is it real hard to run the wiring back through all that?

Thanks!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Eh, Im not too fond of the idea. It would pretty much wipe out any frequency responce from the passenger side and your sound stage would shift everytime somebody moved the vents.

Have you looked into mounting them in the A pillars or the top of the door panel?
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • audiobliss
    edited July 2004
    hmm.....
    the a-pillars might work; I'll have to look at the top of the door panel...hopefully I'll come up with something..

Thanks.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • geolemon
    geolemon Posts: 67
    edited July 2004
    If you put the tweeters in the vents, you have three issues:

1) how to physically mount the tweeters inside the air vent - those are open tubes behind the vents.

2) how to contend with issues like diffraction of sound waves off the hard plastic louvers of the vent - which are actually only an issue with frequencies high enough to be covered by the tweeter

3) how to contend with heat/cooling issues that will not only potentially affect the tweeter's performance (ie. a chilled tweeter will be less compliant than a burning hot one), but since you are talking about the vents that source the heat/cooling for the entire vehicle - potentially temperature extremes that could physically harm the tweeters.

The best suggestion that you've gotten is simply to not commit to a location without listening to it first.

No one can tell you what location is best, in your particular vehicle, with your particular tweeters - because of the complex acoustics involved - both with the vehicle interior, with respect to listening positions, and also the axis performance of the tweeters.

It's simply too easy to temporarily mount the tweets in their surface-mount housings, with doublesided tape, and just try out various locations.

THEN, when you know where the tweets will SOUND best (not simply be convenient for some installer), and install them accordingly.

It can be the difference between convincing yourself that it sounds great (ie. the 'placebo effect') and the ability to convince others that it sounds great. ;)
  • MacLeod
    edited July 2004
    Originally posted by geolemon

2) how to contend with issues like diffraction of sound waves off the hard plastic louvers of the vent - which are actually only an issue with frequencies high enough to be covered by the tweeter

I wouldve thought this wouldnt be a problem. What would the difference be between the vent louvers and the grills that come with the tweeters? Wouldnt they affect the output too or is it different since speaker grills are usually honeycomb shaped?

• exalted512
    edited July 2004
    well...those are right in front of them and the sound still comes straight out
    the vents can be moved and will reflect sound much in the same way as it reflects the air
    -Cody