SDA CRS 6503

Options
One of my 6503 drivers in my CRS's is rattling and making a odd noise when I lightly push on the dust cap. My question is after looking for a replacement driver I'm finding a 8ohm version available from widwest speaker. From what I have read I believe these early drivers were 6 ohm. Would this newer 8ohm version be fine to use or do you recommend buying a used one from the bay and have the seller verify it's 6ohm?

Thank You

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited August 2023
    Options
    The magnet shifted, which can be repaired. A do to is posted in here somewhere.

The Midwest driver is a one size fits all that fits none.

Edit: you need to glue the magnets on the other drivers before the same happens to them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    Options
    That driver's nominal impedance is 8 ohms. The DC resistance (which you should get with an ohmmeter) is 6.54 Ohms.

Thiele Small Parameters:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/133992/thiele-small-parameters-for-mw6500-drivers#latest

I would get one from ebay without hesitation but make sure you contact the seller and get them to verify the DC resistance, no rubbing of voice coil, and ask them to pack it with plenty of cushioning. I've gotten 3 6500s this way so far with no problems.

Then you have time to figure out how you want to repair or get someone to repair your existing one.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • trilinear
    Options
    Thank You F1nut and Gardenstater!