Fozgometer "Share"

Options
It's been discussed on at least one other Polk Forum thread, but many of us have been reluctant to pay the $200+ for a Fozgometer to set/adjust/verify one's cartridge azimuth. There isn't a shortage of "used once" listings of this tool popping up from time to time, and unlike most other audio gear, it's actually probably the case when a seller states that.

Welp, the wonder got the best of me, and I bought one. As a limited-use product, I checked the two carts I have installed on my gear, and I figure when I (inevitably) change those out I will use the Fozgometer again, but until then...

...I thought I would offer up its use to fellow Polkies free of charge. There is a real trust factor here, so I'm apt to set some ground rules, some of which I got from some of you in previous discussions. If any of these are dumb or defy logic, you won't hurt my feelings, so feedback is welcome. And please include comments on "rules" I'm missing. At the end of the day, I know most of you are like me, and your gear looks like it did they day you got it, so I am hoping I get this back at the end of its journey in its current looks-and-works-like-new condition.

Here are my thoughts on how it should work (the "rules"):

1. Only active Polk Forum members can participate, and you must have at least 150 posts (ignore my current count, haha).

2. I will start it off by shipping it to the first member. I will select that member among the users who respond in the next couple days. Rather than a race to be first, I am going to choose the member who is closest. Since the current holder of the Fozgometer has to pay for shipping, it's only fair that he or she be allowed to send it to the closest person. (This should be a fun/generous thing and not a financial burden. Plus, say someone is local, it makes sense from a risk and cost standpoint to hand it off rather than entrust it to the USPS, UPS or FedEx. And maybe even someone will get to meet a Polkie they didn't know was local.)

3. Once the next recipient is chosen, the member will publicly announce in this thread who the member is. Subsequently, they will announce what they are sending it with (I.e., handing it off or shipping with USPS/UPS/FedEx/etc.), as well as when it has been dropped off. If shipping, take a photo of the box and note the tracking info. No need to share those publicly, but as a courtesy, I recommend giving the recipient that info in a PM. Sorry to members in Hawaii, Alaska or a foreign location, but unless you chip in with the sender (and promise to pay the entire amount to send it to the next member), you are probably out.

4. The recipient will simply post when they received it.

5. The recipient has 7 days upon receipt to use it. Let's keep this thing moving. With this in mind, you should not raise your hand to be the next person if you know you won't be able to use it upon receipt.

6. If it breaks, you buy it. Meaning, you buy me (@smartie_panta) a new Fozgometer** to have sent to me, or you buy a new one and keep the chain moving (I.e., it doesn't need to be sent to me, as I'll get it in the end). Also, make sure you ship it safely. If the shipping box ends up damaged, it's on the recipient to repack it in a new travel-worthy box.

**NOTE: For it to work, you need either "The Ultimate Analogue Test LP" from Analogue Productions or the Hifi News Test LP. I have the former. Maybe when you first raise your hand to participate you say whether you have one of these. I am happy to send mine, but I will need to figure out a box to safely pack both.

7. It uses a 9 volt battery. I think it makes sense to ship without, so we don't need to put the battery disclosure label on the shipping box. Everyone should have one they can pop in, and it should not be shipped with it installed anyhow, as it would damage the Fozgometer if it came loose inside.

8. Have fun. No need to post any "didn't work for me" comments here. You can, but why be negative? Instead, posts about how "it's like I heard my turntable for the very first time!" (Haha) comments are welcome.

9. When the "last" person is done with it, they send it back to me. I use it on what I'm sure will be another cart in the rotation, and maybe we'll do it again someday.

Let me know who's in. I know a few of you already said you are, but that was a while ago.

I'm in Houston, Texas. Let me know who's interested in being first.

Comments

• smartie_panta
    Options
    If @newbie308 , @treitz3 and @maingey are still interested, please let me know.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,385
    Options
    I am still interested. Put me in the back of the line for now though.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    Thank you for the offer. I already purchased one, so please take me off the list. Thank you for the kind offer! That is a very cool idea!

Dan
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • smartie_panta
    Options
    Sounds good, Tom, and thanks for letting me know, Dan.
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 628
    Options
    I am interested also, but won't be ready to receive until late Sept.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,670
    Options
    I am interested. My turntable is ready and I am in the DFW metroplex. Appreciate the offer.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,480
    Options
    I am not interested. Please remove me from this mailing list.
    vfauzk1ueul3.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • smartie_panta
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Please remove me from this mailing list.

Haha... Looks like you added yourself.
  • smartie_panta
    smartie_panta Posts: 187
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @tratliff I saw your new speakers. So awesome!! Congrats!!
  • tratliff
    Options
    @tratliff I saw your new speakers. So awesome!! Congrats!!

Thanks. I’m liking them.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • smartie_panta
    Options
    @tratliff , can I get it out to you next week? We're heading to Colorado for some friends' long wedding weekend, and I don't think I'll have time to ship it before we leave.
  • tratliff
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @smartie_panta sure. No hurry on my end. Really appreciate you offering this up. Looking forward to seeing how good it is currently setup.
  • smartie_panta
    Options
    Hi @tratliff, I can ship this weekend. I will PM you to get your shipping address. Since there isn't a ton of people interested, no need to observe the 7-day rule above. Just work out with either @treitz3 or @maingey whose next, when they're ready for it.

• tratliff
    Options
    Hi @tratliff, I can ship this weekend. I will PM you to get your shipping address. Since there isn't a ton of people interested, no need to observe the 7-day rule above. Just work out with either @treitz3 or @maingey whose next, when they're ready for it.

Perfect. Thanks
  • smartie_panta
    smartie_panta Posts: 187
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I couldn't find a box to ship the record and the fozgometer together, so they are coming in separate packages. I shipped them USPS Priority Mail today. Looks like you should have them Monday! I'll send the tracking numbers via PM, @tratliff .
  • tratliff
    Options
    I’ll be on the look out for them. Thanks again
  • tratliff
    Options
    I got it today. Looks like both the Fozgometer and LP are intact.
  • tratliff
    Options
    Should we start to plan on who is next up on the list to receive it?

Based on the comments above it looks like @maingey and @treitz3 are waiting.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I will not need it for a while. Too many other things going on at the moment. Heck, I haven't even uncrated the new (to me) TT yet.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tratliff
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I will not need it for a while. Too many other things going on at the moment. Heck, I haven't even uncrated the new (to me) TT yet.

Tom

Slacker!
  • treitz3
    Options
    Hey man, I wouldn't want to let anyone down. I have a reputation to keep!

Naw, there is really nowhere to put it right now. All the real estate in the current room is taken. I am still trying to figure out where to put the second ANK DAC for the CDP. Not to mention, that TT weighs in at a cool 250 pounds.

It's not like I can simply set it up on the top shelf of the rack. If I tried, that would be a disaster, real quick like.

Tom
  • tratliff
    Options

Naw, there is really nowhere to put it right now. All the real estate in the current room is taken. I am still trying to figure out where to put the second ANK DAC for the CDP. Not to mention, that TT weighs in at a cool 250 pounds.

It's not like I can simply set it up on the top shelf of the rack. If I tried, that would be a disaster, real quick like.

Tom

I understand. Just giving you s***.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options

Tom

If you didn't have a bad reputation, you would have no reputation at all B)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tratliff
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Hey @maingey you ready for the Fozgometer? I can ship it out this week or hold until you are ready.
  • maingey
    Options
    Please hold I will reach out shortly.
  • maingey
    Options
    I am in receipt. will need new box for record.