Deep Thoughts this Morning

Options
Can lawnmower blades be re-sharpened....and why are brand new blades dull to the touch? Is this some type of woke, snowflake safety feature added to lawnmower blades so we don't cut ourselves?? And if a lawnmower is actually running and stick my hand under there, I would prefer a sharp blade for a clean cut of my fingers from my hand rather than a dull smashing of my fingers.
Anyway, I do own a bench grinder and have the old blade if anyone has tried their own Sling Blade re-enactment at home...lemme know!

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,476
    Options
    This sounds like a post coffee-slam musing session from the white thinking chair, or WTC for short. I approve.

They can, indeed, be resharpened, though I've not done it successfully. Last time I tried, I didn't have the right tool for it, but now, due to a recommendation from @pitdogg2 I have a Work Sharp sharpening tool that has an attachment for yard tools and mower blades, iirc. Or just rotates. I haven't tried it for this yet. Amazing with kitchen kuh-nyfes, though.
    https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/benchtop/powered/knife-tool-sharpener-mk2/
    tvj73oy9nass.png

And here's a photo of Ivan getting ready for Saturday night at the sorority house.
    b44dr4sic64x.png

If not a myth to some degree, I think it's important to keep the blade balanced so you don't trash spindle or shaft bearings, riding or push mowers, respectively?

With the crappy sharpening tool I tried years ago, there was a little balancing tool that came with it. Surely others will have experience here, and if not, there's always the Tube-of-Yous.

To the question of blades being dull when you buy them. I've noticed this as well. But after installation and use, I've noticed that the coating comes off, and the blade is sharp. Your blade will be dull if you look at it only before installation, and after a season or two of trying to mow tree roots.

Last ones I bought were powder coated. The 8TEN LawnRazor. Sounds fancy, but they were really an affordable set. I got them from Chinazon (sigh) - $34 for 2 blades. I spend around $22 if I pick up a Toro blade for my push mower at Home Depot. I think I might have bought one for my last push mower as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QYBTBKQ
    88eaq4ceeo8a.png

I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,068
    edited August 2023
    Options
    I take mine to the local small engine/power equipment place (which is excellent, BTW) and get 'em sharpened most every season. Indeed, the year after I buy a new lawnmower, I buy a new blade, drop the old one off for sharpening, and install the new one. Repeat every year.

I've been meaning to do that with my tractor, but I haven't yet. Three big blades kind of inhibits me from making the investment. :/

I don't think that a sharp (as in razor sharp) blade is advised nor required on a lawnmower. I do know that the divots and nicks that blades tend to develop (hitting big-but-t rocks and whatnot) need to be dealt with -- the goal is to cut the grass blades, not rip them off by force. :# Doesn't take razor, or even sword, sharpness, though.

Again, that's my understanding.

EDIT: I have sharpened 'em myself occasionally - but it only costs a few bucks, and I trust the local place. I do sharpen shovels and some other ground hacking hand tools when I get the urge (which is very occasionally, at best. :|

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,374
    Options
    Yes, lawn mower blades can be sharpened. I have 3 sets of blades I rotate in and out all the time. It helps if you have one of these -

opy42j73dajp.png

It's just a cheap blade balancer. If you don't want one, you can always put a nail on the side of your workbench and balance the blade on the nail. Either one will work but I prefer the blade balancer.

I have no clue as to why new blades are dull to the touch. I make them as sharp as I can get them, so they don't damage the grass blades and "rip" them as they pass by, they simply slice through them. They are not dull for any safety reasons. In many cases, they will come with a coating that will make them dull.

I try to emulate the angle of the cut, so that it does not deviate from the original angle and make sure that all blades are balanced (I have 3 blades on my zero turn), otherwise, the unit will shake horribly.....much like an out of balance wheel on a vehicle.

I wouldn't bother with these things. They are a waste of time and money to me...

rrd266oqxcz4.png

It usually takes me about 20-25 minutes to sharpen a set of 3 blades to perfection and add them back into the blade stash, for quick install whenever the current set starts to not perform as well as it should.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    Options
    I always used a hand file to sharpen mine. I didn't take too much metal off that way.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,612
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Shoot I just use a folded sandpaper (120 grit) disc on my angle grinder. As for balancing, a 16 penny nail straight into a stud on my garage wall is all I use.
    Just remember to take a file to the back side of the blade to knock off the burr you create when you sharpen the face.
    I do sharpen my brand new blades before use.
    Tom and I agree, those stones for the drill are a waste of money. A simple file and bench vise work much better.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,963
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    This sounds like a post coffee-slam musing session from the white thinking chair, or WTC for short. I approve.
    Kinda eery you nailed my Sat Sun morning routine so closely lol. Im going to fire up the bench grinder later and see how that goes and check the new blade to see how dull it still is. I would be concerned with balancing the blade but my mower is a POS that I am waiting to catch fire before I buy a new one, which probably will be electric but thats a post for another session of Deep Thoughts with Kev...

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,976
    Options
    Been using a bench grinder for years. I sharpen the blades about 3 or 4 times per season as I have a fair amount of grass to cut. At first I balanced the blades with the nail as mentioned, but I find not taking to much off per pass and counting the passes to be sure each side gets equal passes seems to keep them fairly balanced.

I rotate between 2 sets(3 blades each) and at the end of the season I'll treat the mower like a brush hog before retiring for the winter(after replacing those now dull blades with a freshly sharpened set). I've found cutting down woody stuff actually gets the under side of the mower deck clean, sorta like sandblasting I guess.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I have an unfair amount of grass to cut :D
    I cut some of it today. Some of it fights back.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Can lawnmower blades be re-sharpened....and why are brand new blades dull to the touch? Is this some type of woke, snowflake safety feature added to lawnmower blades so we don't cut ourselves??...

Yes. I do mine every spring. I've never balanced mine. Yes I'm sure the Anti-racism crowd lobbied to make new lawnmower blades dull. Surely it had nothing to do with the added manufacturing costs.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    I throw a stone drum grinding bit in my air die grinder for sharpening my mower blades. Don't worry too much about the angle. When I'm done you can slice a piece of paper. Should be good enough for grass. My lawn seems happy. So am I.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Sheep
    'nuff said
    🐑🐑🐑
    Grass No More 👍🤗
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Sheep
    'nuff said
    🐑🐑🐑
    Grass No More 👍🤗

Plus, if one's a Scotsman... well...

jzbr7eldf587.gif

ahem. I jest, of course. Scots are wonderful folks, and I love Scotland. Just not... you know... that way.