You’re doing it wrong…

Options
1…7475777980…132

Comments

  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 9,100
    Options
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 2,685
    Options
    LOL. I may have resembled this remark a week ago.

    Brian

  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,274
    Options
    74o26b03jxab.png
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

    Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 3,053
    Options
    et9kz2l26u0x.jpg

    You know, that picture reminds me of a moment....my ex had a lemon of a Taurus, went through starters like a kid goes through cotton candy, I got pretty good at swapping em out.

    I'm lying under the car with my Craftsman ratchet just a ratcheting away when I hear a thud, the directional knob falls out of the ratchet and hits me square in the chest and I yell SON-OF-A-BAD-TIMING....

    This was like in 2001 one or so, we still had a Sears at the mall and being a Craftsman tool, I swapped it out for a brand new one for free......yep, it looked just like the one in @ken brydsons picture
    Marantz AV10-Emotiva ERC3-Denafrips Venus-Panasonic UB820-AudioQuest Power Quest 707-Emotiva DR3, DR2, XPA2, XPA6-Focal Kanta No2, Sopra Center-PolkAudio RTiA9, RTiA3, LSiM 702F/X-Epik Empire-SVS SB5000-11.3
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,463
    edited April 2025
    Options
    r8wmptmtq4nf.jpg

    Crazy you posted that!

    I'm rebuilding a Craftsman 3/8" ratchet today at my desk. Using an old Craftsman rebuild kit. They are great, but unfortunately no longer sold. Some can be found on eBay and the prices vary. In many cases it's not worth buying the kit.

    You may be able to exchange the ratchet at Lowe's or Ace. I already had a couple old kits and my ratchet is USA made. If you exchange you'll most likely receive China or Taiwan made one. A lot of Taiwan tools are pretty well made.

    I know your post was just a meme!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 35,561
    edited April 2025
    Options
    My son and I have been chatting (virtually) about rebuilding ratchets lately. When he was here a couple of weeks back, we did some spelunking. He discovered a small kit of S-K Wayne tools that belonged to Mrs. H's father (i.e., his grandfather), who died before our son was born. Said son is big into vintage tools and has been restoring and rehabbing the set (many pieces of which were cosmetically tired, so to speak, but generally in good shape). The ratchet was fine, as it happened, but one never knows.
    I don't have a before photo handy, but here's a during image he sent me.
    nof1twnga86w.jpg

    Not the same set, but kind of similar -- sort of a subset. :|
    ygxwsfyeirbc.png

    As an aside: I have a 1980s-vintage Craftsman ratchet here that slips :( I also have a nice old Craftsman torque wrench (again, originally my late father-in-law's) which likewise slips. :( I'd really like to get the latter one rehabbed someday...


  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 7,811
    edited April 2025
    Options
    "Rebuilding ratchets" has a whole different meaning in some places. :p

    2bhn0g6ww1a3.jpg
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 4,382
    Options
    If this early Italian stamp proved to be genuine it could be worth over $10,000.00:

    xeiuzibgm1h5.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 52,407
    Options
    Is that due to age or that the figure is upside down?
  • This content has been removed.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 4,382
    Options
    The stamp was issued in 1863 and depicts King Victor, it was done in two parts. The outer area was printed using a lithographic process, then the effigy in the center was embossed separately. The problem is that there were lots of forgeries made by taking the discarded castoffs of the outer section and forging an upside down image. Ironically the real versions of the stamp are more worn and often cancelled where the forged versions tend to be cleaner and not cancelled. This is opposite to what normally happens, a clean stamp being worth more than one more used.
    In all likelihood this is a forgery, but scanning can reveal the true value.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,463
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    My son and I have been chatting (virtually) about rebuilding ratchets lately. When he was here a couple of weeks back, we did some spelunking. He discovered a small kit of S-K Wayne tools that belonged to Mrs. H's father (i.e., his grandfather), who died before our son was born. Said son is big into vintage tools and has been restoring and rehabbing the set (many pieces of which were cosmetically tired, so to speak, but generally in good shape). The ratchet was fine, as it happened, but one never knows.
    I don't have a before photo handy, but here's a during image he sent me.
    nof1twnga86w.jpg

    Not the same set, but kind of similar -- sort of a subset. :|
    ygxwsfyeirbc.png

    As an aside: I have a 1980s-vintage Craftsman ratchet here that slips :( I also have a nice old Craftsman torque wrench (again, originally my late father-in-law's) which likewise slips. :( I'd really like to get the latter one rehabbed someday...


    SK-Wayne made great tools and boxes.

    I have a nice tool assortment. I regularly watch the tool restorers on YT.
    You learn quite a bit by doing so. I've deep cleaned maybe 50 or so hand tools
    in the past three years. I still have boxes to do, many are 1920-30's wrenches.

    I have three very large old c-clamps, commonly referred to as bridge clamps. They were
    used to hold bridge girders in place during assembly while riveting and welding.
    These clamps weight over 20lbs. each. I need to soak them to de-rust.

    Evapo-rust works great, but is costly, even with several reuses.
    Regular cheap white vinegar works okay in a pinch.

    Next time I'm going to mix a batch of Citric Acid and Washing Soda.
    Seems to maybe work as well and much cheaper. See these YT vids.
    https://youtu.be/GYEbzI4AtpA?feature=shared
    https://youtu.be/fVYZmeReKKY?feature=shared
  • This content has been removed.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,463
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Have you ever tried that high test 30-40% vinegar stuff from the landscaping section?

    No I haven't. I've seen the 30% stuff at The Home Depot for $19.98 a gallon.

    Too many irons in the fire right now. Thanks for reminding me.

    Have you used it for rust removal or cleaning something else?
  • This content has been removed.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 3,130
    Options
    Doing it wrong on the water involving a boat 27 times

    https://www.facebook.com/reel/1375953493433885

    Sample: Man loosing control of his boat in harbor.
    df7r4odxubyq.png

    Note: Having been around water and boats for many years when younger, I have seen similar things and experienced a few crazy occurrences. Mine: Total knockdown under sail with spinnaker in heavy weather on 30 foot boat. Hobie Cat turtle down with tip of 26' mast stuck in mud as I was trying to approach busy marina boat ramp in swirling winds. Anyone else?

    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"
    Harry / Marietta GA
    m9iutt1ly1yd.png
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 20,357
    Options
    There is a FB page I subscribe too, that has a plethora of examples like those. "Boat Fails of the Week" is the name of the group. Man, some people really should not be allowed to boat......or even put a boat in water!

    Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,274
    edited April 2025
    Options
    Anyone else?

    Numerous sailboard adventures including losing sailboard on Lake Lanier, GA in winds of 20 gusting 35+, swells of 2-4 feet. Had to swim 30 minutes to shore in heavy wetsuit and walk two hours back to car. Retrieved gear the next day with a boating friend.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

    Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 3,130
    Options
    An OLD "Doing it Wrong" but Published 15:42 13 Apr 2025!

    NASA hired Lockheed Martin to construct the NOAA N-Prime weather satellite back in 2003
    Technician made simple error on NASA satellite that ended up costing $135,000,000.

    The accident occurred when the satellite was being moved from a vertical to horizontal position and accidentally fell a meter onto a concrete surface.
    15ulwshdiu24.png
    kwg973ltdx8c.png


    An investigation into the matter was carried out after the costly mistake and revealed it was a very minor thing that caused the catastrophic damage.

    It was reported at the time that the physical damage caused was a result of the satellite missing just 24 bolts.

    The bolts were needed to secure the spacecraft to a device called the Turn-Over Cart (TOC).

    A report from NASA stated: "The bolts were removed from the TOC by another project while the cart was in a common staging area, an activity which was not communicated to the NOAA project team."

    https://www.unilad.com/technology/nasa/nasa-satellite-bolts-mistake-lockheed-martin-068918-20250408
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"
    Harry / Marietta GA
    m9iutt1ly1yd.png
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 35,561
    Options
    "just 24 bolts?!?"
    I mean, someone at Boeing musta seen that and said "here, hold my beer". :(
    fpf0xj417qou.png
    Four. Four bolts!
    fb4j1wy8kwu8.png
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,274
    Options
    bxdwcw5lu9fb.png
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

    Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,274
    Options
    nuwpx6rdbxo6.png
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

    Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 7,811
    Options
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 29,741
    Options
    Never understood exterior doors with glass larger than the average person.

    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 52,407
    Options
    That is a typical English house. Why they like glass doors is beyond me.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 29,741
    edited April 2025
    Options
    The new trend around me are garage doors with large windows on each panel where two full grown adults can fit thru...

    Does not compute!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 52,407
    Options
    Should have added...the reason for the peephole is you can get those doors with frosted glass installed or you if you buy a house with a clear glass door already installed you can apply clear or tinted frosted vinyl to the glass.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 3,256
    Options
    g49h7pw2popd.jpeg
    “Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 3,256
    Options
    nksxvp7y4gbj.jpeg
    “Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn