Extremely New To Audio

Options
LividRhino
LividRhino Posts: 1
edited August 2023 in Speakers
Some friends talked me into getting the bookshelf Polk Audio T15 & the T30. I'm just going to be honest I have zero clue with what I'm doing in audio. I've been using my yamaha rx-v679 receiver with some old computer logitech 5.1 z5500 speakers, I know I need to match the ohms which they all appear to be 8ohms, and they told me the larger the number for THD (10% THD) the better is this correct? But my biggest question is would getting additional T15 for the mid speakers and rear speakers be worth it? I've looked on ebay and found surround sound polk speakers, and m series, or r series, etc... What are the differences I've been looking for a few weeks for information on what series are what? So far I've been able to find r series, m series, t series, and monitor? Is that the correct order for polk Monitor > T > M > R??? Or are there more series that I'm unaware of? I don't mind doing the reading if somebody could point me to a wiki page or some guide to try and make sense of all the series from Polk, whats the difference so I know what I"m looking at on Ebay if I'm buying something old from the 90's or what not. Thank you all so very much.

Answers

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk! I'll be one of your enablers.

Looks like you're looking to build an HT (home theater/tv) setup, yes? Is this for HT only, or combo use for music, as well?

Typically you will want to match your series, however, this is more a consideration for your front stage. That will be your Left, Right, and Center channel speakers.

I believe for model tiers, it would be
    1. T series (theater, primarily; most budget oriented)
    2. Monitor (combo use), then
    3. Reserve (higher end combo use; also requiring higher end AVR, integrated amplifier, etc. to run them properly)

As you've alluded, yes, there are others, and you can check out this page for more information. Scroll down to the series section on the left to drill down into each.
    https://www.polkaudio.com/en-us/category/home-speakers/
    0uk029xqgqwr.png

If you want to look up past speakers, say if you were in the market for used - a great way to get more bang for buck - you can also hit the wayback machine for info on older and vintage models:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20140628092311/http://www.polkaudio.com/vintage
    cals3owc5v12.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    Lastly - paragraphs are good.
    vs57u59creb2.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,603
    Options
    Sorry about our … well liked, often misunderstood member here! 😂👍

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    I'll chip in with some advice:

1. If you're building a theatre, the money you'd spend on 3 pairs of T15 (the worst speaker Polk has ever made that I infact owned 3 years ago) would be better spent on some used or new higher end Polk bookshelves or towers.

2. Listen to people who have been at this a long time and have a lot of experience.

3. You will NEVER have enough speakers, it's not hoarding, its just collecting...

Your receiver will be fine for a beginner. I'm still rocking my trust Onkyo TX-NR656 and until I get some Emotiva amps, it does the job. A higher THD is bad, by the way. It stands for Total Harmonic Distortion, I'd advice you google it to understand it better.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    edited August 2023
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Turn around, run away, get out while you can. Forget you ever found this place.
    Save yourself!

That there comes from ‘speriance… he’s one a da smart ones here.

Nice job on the follow up Scoot!!

And here’s my paragraphs.

btfmd7c2d2i0.png
    kgjasexycck6.png

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options
    It is all a Par-O-Docks headed South

4p69slybkpfq.jpg
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • msg
    edited August 2023
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    Turn around, run away, get out while you can. Forget you ever found this place.
    Save yourself!
    That there comes from ‘speriance… he’s one a da smart ones here.
    Nice job on the follow up Scoot!!

And here’s my paragraphs.
    kgjasexycck6.png
    ^^^ see this guy? This guy's smart.
    The beginning of the purple line is your money when you are bornded. See? Pretty much zero. The end of the purple line is the trajectory of your finances at the end of week one after you create your account here. The time scale increases exponentially as it moves right, which means the decline increases as your time involved in this hobby moves forward. I'm not making this up. It's sients.

@LividRhino - have you bought anything yet? What's your CC info anyway. We're gonna need that if we're to help you with your system. Just go ahead and post it here. As long as you see the little lock in the address bar, everything's safe and secure.

Prob scared the fellow off. Or his wife saw his browser history and took away his innernet accesses.
    I disabled signatures.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Way to go guys. You scared off another one...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus