Polk L800 Discounted.

Options
Irrenhaus
Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    40% off list is a very good deal.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Yes, good deal. The promo they ran last time for the 50th anniversary was about 40% off list. That's when I bought my L600's. I realize these are refurbs, but you still get a Polk warranty. I doubt you'll ever find them cheaper until they are discontinued.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Has/does Polk release the number of L800's sold?

The curious like to know.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    On the new market....you'd be hard pressed to bet better sound for the money. I absolutely love the L800's.....

However, if you are expecting an updated vintage SDA......it just isn't. It's a totally different speaker.

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I'm still curious why some of the major online sellers discontinued selling the L800s but others still list them. It's possible that the refurbs are new in box. But, I would call them to ensure they have a left and a right matched pair.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    I would call them to ensure they have a left and a right matched pair.
    ABSOLUTELY agree.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    And the stories of people reporting back saying sellers respond: "A right and a left? Who ever heard of such a thing - that's prePOSterous! You get what you get!"
    I disabled signatures.
  • ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    ABSOLUTELY agree.

I could be entirely wrong here, but...

Couldn't you just disassemble the speaker and swap the midranges and tweeters around? Obviously you'd risk damaging something but if it's 40% off!!!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    ABSOLUTELY agree.

Couldn't you just disassemble the speaker and swap the midranges and tweeters around? Obviously you'd risk damaging something but if it's 40% off!!!

The difference is not in the drivers… it’s in the crossovers
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY agree.

The difference is not in the drivers… it’s in the crossovers

Sorry. In my head it made sense because the wires would still be attached to the drivers, so you'd essentially just swap the wiring around.

The point still stands, couldn't you just change the wiring or are the crossovers literally designed in such a way to have a left and right channel. The original SDAs used the same crossover and just changes the side of the dimensional array wiring and the side of the stereo array wiring around. Could you not just do the exact same with the L800?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    Try that with a 2.3tl....
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    Try that with a 2.3tl....

Ah yeah , that's an exception. Either way you get what I mean, the speakers are symmetrical, in theory you can just swap the wiring.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The crossovers inside each L800 cabinet are made up of 3 separate boards.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    I have a set of boards here... there is only one that they sent me. is it possible they have changed the design down to just one board? I would also love to see a cutaway of the cabinets...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Options
    Sorry, it's two separate boards. One main and one small. The main board has separate sections for the stereo and SDA circuits.
    dp8a2jkipf30.jpg

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Sorry, it's two separate boards. One main and one small. The main board has separate sections for the stereo and SDA circuits.
    dp8a2jkipf30.jpg

That's one beefy crossover. Has anyone gone through and rebuilt them with Mills and ClarityCap or is that just not needed with them? Never heard any Legends.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    Looks to me like that would get expensive quick. I’m not sure why you’d buy a brand new, current production speaker and turn around and rebuild the crossovers in them. Probably bought the wrong speakers, if that’s the case.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Looks to me like that would get expensive quick. I’m not sure why you’d buy a brand new, current production speaker and turn around and rebuild the crossovers in them. Probably bought the wrong speakers, if that’s the case.

I don't disagree with any of your points, just curious if some madlad, went and did it.

I am curious on your take about this: I see so many people talking about rebuilding crossovers to improve sound, why wouldn't it apply to new speakers?
  • msg
    Options
    I have a set of boards here... there is only one that they sent me. is it possible they have changed the design down to just one board? I would also love to see a cutaway of the cabinets...

I agree - I always want to see cabinet cutaways of every speaker. I wish everyone showed this.

Why do you have a set of boards? Was this advance order planning to upgrade the components and keep a stock set as well?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    I'd do it just for the component upgrades. I still think it would be an improvement.

I wonder what other mods would be beneficial.

(annnd 3... 2... 1... @F1nut slaps @msg upside the head as a reminder for an ever-pending project that shall not be named, but rhymes with shoe point tree)
    I disabled signatures.
  • bcwsrt
    Options

I don't disagree with any of your points, just curious if some madlad, went and did it.

I am curious on your take about this: I see so many people talking about rebuilding crossovers to improve sound, why wouldn't it apply to new speakers?

Usually (almost always?), the reason for doing it is to replace 30 year-old electrolytic capacitors with better performing film capacitors.

I suppose the same thing would apply to new speakers if you wanted to eek the last bit out of them by going to some higher-end caps, just seems like your money might be better spent on higher-end speakers to begin with.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • ChrisD06
    Options

Usually (almost always?), the reason for doing it is to replace 30 year-old electrolytic capacitors with better performing film capacitors.

I suppose the same thing would apply to new speakers if you wanted to eek the last bit out of them by going to some higher-end caps, just seems like your money might be better spent on higher-end speakers to begin with.

Gotcha, thanks for the explanation!
  • F1nut
    Options
    As one can see most of the caps are MPT and MET with the larger values being electrolytic. Still, none of those are higher end caps, so improvements can definitely be had. Would it be bloody expensive? You bet! Upgrading all those resistors would net sonic improvements as well.
    just seems like your money might be better spent on higher-end speakers to begin with.

You'd be surprised at what components are in very expensive speakers. More than likely what you're seeing on the L800 boards.

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    Options
    As one can see most of the caps are MPT and MET with the larger values being electrolytic. Still, none of those are higher end caps, so improvements can definitely be had. Would it be bloody expensive? You bet! Upgrading all those resistors would net sonic improvements as well.
    just seems like your money might be better spent on higher-end speakers to begin with.

You'd be surprised at what components are in very expensive speakers. More than likely what you're seeing on the L800 boards.

You know I'm honestly shocked in a $4500 pair of speakers, the crossovers aren't higher end.

Then again, they look like 4th order, and I cannot even begin to fathom the cost per crossover, it's probably over a thousand, correct me if I'm wrong.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    I had ~$200 just in 3 caps and 1 resistor per crossover in my 15s. Those L800 have to have near 10x those numbers (I'm not counting Lol).

Brian

• ChrisD06
    edited July 2023
    Options
    I had ~$200 just in 3 caps and 1 resistor per crossover in my 15s. Those L800 have to have near 10x those numbers (I'm not counting Lol).

Dear God...

You know, it makes sense that Polk would use a cheaper crossover considering how expensive quality parts are for them. They have a budget to work with and would you rather them use a cheaper XO or cheaper drivers and/or cabinet?

I was going to rebuild my RT3000p crossovers... decided not to. Why? $450 for both. I can't afford that.
  • chrispyfur
    chrispyfur Posts: 170
    Options
    Certainly helps when you're buying them wholesale
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Never heard any Legends.
    Yes you did. Go up one post. ;)

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    When you are building to a price point....it just is what it is.

You know I'm honestly shocked in a $4500 pair of speakers, the crossovers aren't higher end.

Then again, they look like 4th order, and I cannot even begin to fathom the cost per crossover, it's probably over a thousand, correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, in the high end realm.....the L800 is on the budget end of the spectrum and every company builds to a price point.

I suspect that upgrading the crossovers could very well end up costing more than the price of the speaker if youwere so inclined....I've considered it but more than likely I'll move these down the road sooner or later....

I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,056
    Options
    To use Uber quality like cmr, path audio, all air core inductors.... You would have to go external and the cost would be astronomical

To use like csa, mox and a mix of air core and iron core would also be very expensive but stay internal.

We modified the l200 and the difference was really noticeable through cell phone vids.

Far more definition through it the spectrum. We changed several iron core inductors in series to the midrange which made a tremendous difference
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.