Monitor 9s??????

Options
Okay I'm sure we all know what the M9s are, but check this out:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-speakers/ottawa/polk-audio-vintage-1972-speakers/1629738109

This is infact an ad in Canada, about 3 provinces over from me, for a pair of Monitor 9s with the grille and everything in pretty damn decent condition. I never thought I'd actually see these for sale, I thought these were SUPER rare?

Should I buy them 😁

Comments

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    To add: " Don't let the age of the speakers fool you, they sound great and will do justice to your vinyl records. $200"

I'm pretty sure these sound like crap, right? I've NEVER seen anyone say they sounded good on here.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,071
    edited July 2023
    Options
    That Motorola piezo tweeter is of the devil when used as it was in the Model Nine (i.e., sans crossover). It is essentially a capacitor with a 'natural' first-order rolloff (crossover) at about 4 kHz.
    When allowed to run free, they're notoriously spitty.

It is possible to use a piezo to good effect, but it essentially requires a hack: add a resistor across the transducer to mimic a voicecoil, and then a relatively normal XO can be employed upstream of it.

That same 99 cent (in the 1970s, although they stayed cheap for decades and are still pretty cheap) Motorola (later CTS) "orange juicer" piezo horn can also be found, as most folks probably already know, in the highly regarded (by some) Dahlquist DQ-10. ;)

u8dhhrnl6bqc.png

wyj2qz9vuot5.png

Don't get me started about the DQ-10... :#

syevmzmg9anf.png

14741117091_5d5ccd7236_c.jpg

As I very recently posted in another thread here :| to my ears and taste, those CTS "fullrange" drivers were/are actually pretty darned nice within their passband.

azdydalo5u69.png
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    I'd be curious to see how they sound. The fact there is a front and back driver array to me, at least, is very interesting and I'm super interested as to what they might have actually performed like.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,618
    Options
    Not worth $200 IMHO, if they were free I might think about it
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Not worth $200 IMHO, if they were free I might think about it

I was joking on getting them lol, no way in hell. Definitely one of those "if I have a massive Polk collection, why not" things, but that $200 would be better spent on McDonalds.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,071
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    ... that $200 would be better spent on McDonalds.

https://youtu.be/Y380bkHlye8

B)