Adire Koda 10's

Options
AustinKP
AustinKP Posts: 861
edited July 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
If anyone is interested in getting this Koda 10 I can get it for a *significant* discount. It is comparable to the Polk MM12 and Adire Shiva in SPL and will blow it away in SQ due to the XBL^2 technology. Plus, it will go in a .75 cu ft sealed box and only needs like 300 watts. If you're interested in getting one for a great price with the full Manufacturer's warranty, PM me and I can get you the info.
http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
Post edited by AustinKP on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    Options
    how about a discount on a brahma?:D
    howd you manage that? you can PM me or whatever
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2004
    Options
    Cody, YGPM
    I'm pretty sure you can get a discount on Brahmas as well.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    you have mail...
    or a PM at least
    -Cody
  • geolemon
    geolemon Posts: 67
    edited June 2004
    Options
    I know the owner of Sound Foundations personally myself.
    I talk with him on the phone all the time.
    He's a great guy, an enthusiast first and foremost - he's on our side, so his support is great, it is focused on the enthusiast. :cool:
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    can the brahmas handle 1600 watts rms?
    i was told today that that rating was thermal and would only do 1600 rms at certain frequencies near the tuning range
    is that true?
    or can i put 1500 to each in a box designed for them to handle 1500 watts?
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2004
    Options
    There is somewhere on Adire's website detailing how much power you need to drive them to maximum excursion depending on box size. Since they changed their site, I can't find the freaking page. I've given the link elsewhere in this forum, try searching for it. In some cases, it takes a lot less than 1000W to drive the brahma 12 to max excursion...

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • geolemon
    geolemon Posts: 67
    edited June 2004
    Options
    It's entirely dependent on your enclosure.

Bear two things in mind:
    A) Hoffman's Iron Law:
    It states the following three items are mutually exclusive, in any subwoofer/enclosure alignment:
    1) small enclosure size
    2) high efficiency
    3) low frequency extension
    ...you can build an enclosure to allow your sub to optimally achieve one of these goals, or marginally acheive two of those goals, a compromise of the two... but not all three. ;)

and also:
    B) The relationship between excursion and frequency:
    As frequencies decrease, excursion must increase (and naturally does, due to the slower cycles-per-second, as long as the power is held as a constant) to produce the same level of output.
    For each octave traversed as you move lower in the frequency spectrum, excursion must quadruple.

So what does this mean?
    If you built an enclosure that optimally maximized "small enclosure size", you are inherently throwing away "high efficiency"... and that means it'll take more power to drive the sub to full excursion. It very well can handle 1600w thermally... and in an absolutely tiny enclosure, might be able to take 1600w. Is that a good thing?

Remember, that power rating is simply a thermal powerhandling number. It has no bearing on how much power you actually want to feed the sub.
    It's simply a limit... ie. "if you feed it more than _____ power at any frequency, the glue that holds the windings to the former can fail due to the heat generated at those power levels"
    It has nothing to do with mechanical powerhandling... which is intimately tied to your enclosure.

If you have only 400w (for example), simply build a bigger enclosure - make the sub more efficient. Allow it to reach full excursion on 400w.
    You are in essence designing your enclosure to throw 'small enclosure size' out the window, allowing you to maximize either 'high efficiency', or optimal 'low frequency extension' - or maybe some compromise of each. ;)

It's all in your hands.
    It really doesn't matter in the end what the thermal limit is of the Brahma... what really matters is how much power you need - given your enclosure design.
    The same is true for ANY subwoofer out there. ;)

As for the comment about "it can only handle it at certain frequencies"...
    ...again, look at the factors involved (A and B, listed above).

You could build a large sealed enclosure, and it still could "take" 1600w at the higher frequencies, because at those frequencies, you still wouldn't be reaching full excursion. But the lower you go... excursion quadruples per octave... be careful! ;)

Or, you could build a ported enclosure... and tune it high. REALLY make the thing efficient at some frequency (make a "one note wonder"... but hey... it's DAMN efficient at that number!).
    It'll take 1600w and more at that tuning frequency... and even above it. But you won't be able to go far below that before you start bottoming out the sub even with WAY less than 1600w.
    ...but the same holds true for ANY sub in a ported enclosure... so again, be careful! :cool:
  • exalted512
    edited June 2004
    Options
    so how big would you make it with about 550 watts going to it Chris?
    also, i thought the brahma couldnt bottom out?
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited July 2004
    Options
    The voice coil won't bottom out due to it's 'bottomless' design, but the suspension hard locks at 32(?)mm. Dan was saying something like that on another forum...

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12