Refinishing an oak table

Options
muncybob
muncybob Posts: 2,973
Now that I'm 99% done with the barn fence project, next on the list is the kitchen oak table that has a few scratches and several water stains. I would like to try a water based dye per Jesse's previous discussions but not sure I can match the legs or the chairs if I do that(I only want to work on the table top). I know Minwax Golden Oak is a very close match. But my main question here is , how do I finish the top so water stains and the like do not become a problem again? I think Jesse and I previously had this discussion but I can;t find it :(
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Since you are diy, polyurethane. However, no finish can prevent water damage if exposed long enough.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    Are there any advantages to a water based poly besides easier cleanup?

It got to the point that a glass of water left on the table long enough to eat dinner was making a cloudy circle...it would go away after a few hours though.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    edited June 2023
    Options
    When my dad refinished an antique Oak dinner table he used regular old polyurethane. This was 30+ years ago. Water doesn't seem to bother it. I've accidentally left a glass out had it sweat on the table and then the water was still there the next morning no cloudiness or rings. No granted I haven't left exposed water on it for more than just overnight or for a few hours but I didn't get rings or cloudiness.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't water-based polyurethane.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    I couldn't say as I avoid water based finishes.

Your current finish is likely lacquer. I suspect it is starting to fail.

Poly has better moisture resistance, but it's harder for it to release any moisture that does manage to get through.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited June 2023
    Options
    :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl7ofFaXCB4

After it's refinished. I had to learn the hard way via a few clips to my head from my grandmother and mother.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,696
    Options
    I read an article where 3 kids were seriously injured on a coaster. They should have watched that video before going to that amusement park!