Speaker fuses

Options
I had to replace the left channel speaker fuse today. The fuse is only on the tweeter circuit, and I'm not sure why it failed. I checked the connections and everything is tight on the speaker wire terminations. I installed a new Buss AGC2 fast blow fuse, and the speaker is working fine.

I understand that there are "audio grade" fuses. Are they for speakers, or for AC power line protection? Do any of you have any experience with these fuses, and do you recommend one brand over another? After hearing the difference that speaker cables made in my system, I can imagine that a speaker fuse with better metallurgy (all copper or silver) has to offer some improvement over the nickel plated brass Buss fuse construction.
Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    edited June 2023
    Options
    All my audio equipment use Hi-Fi Tuning fuses anywhere in the signal path. They make a huge difference IMHO.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    Options
    Get rid of the fuses if you really want an improvement. You can add a resistor in the crossover circuit to compensate for the resistance of the fuse if the treble becomes too bright.

My limited experience with high end fuses is they don't do a damn thing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk