QSC MX2000a for RT3000p?

Options

Comments

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options
    @VR3 I'd say 6 x 6 (meters). Like I mentioned to Clipdat, the issue is the AVR clipping at higher volumes, not necessarily volume constraints. I wanted a higher wattage amp because I was under the impression that "Polks love power" and that they'd "open up", but it turns out that's due to current, not just wattage.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @Clipdat I did. They're set like that, but it still clips, Maybe the filter caps going bad?
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @VR3 I like my Polks, the RT3000p are amazing, very detailed and crisp with good soundstage. I feel like if I get pro audio speakers, I'd still probably go for external amps, and in that case, why not just get amps and drive my Polks higher than get amps and new speakers?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    I mean this in the nicest way possible but the Onkyo TX-NR656 is pretty much of an inexpensive lightweight **** of an AVR. I think you might be satisfied with a more modern AVR that has a beefier amplifier section.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @Clipdat Didn't need to be nice. It's a complete piece of ****. I bought it because it was $385 back in 2020 and it was the first component of my system. Even before my RT600i (my first towers).

I'm looking at a Denon X3800H or a Yamaha CX-A5100/5200 for a preamp, and I'm going to build a custom rack for amps for all of my speakers. I intend on matching the amps (like, same series, just different wattages). I think it'd be a crazy system.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I have a Onkyo HT-RC360 that somehow still works that I bought back in 2011. It refuses to die, haha.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @Clipdat They made some good stuff, but right about when Atmos was being included with their receivers their quality fell off hard. I don't even think I'm gonna get a receiver next, I'll probably just get a pre-processor with the exception of the Denon X3800H depending on price.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Have you looked at Outlaw Audio's stuff? https://outlawaudio.com/shop/
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @Clipdat The Marantz preamp is more expensive than a used Yamaha CX-A5200. I actually might bite the bullet on the Yamaha and start searching for amps.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Yeah, they used to make their own pre/pro but it looks like it's discontinued now. Their amps worth a look though, would be a step up from QSC, imo.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @Clipdat Will check them out, thanks!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Looks like school has been in session. B)

The only thing I'll add are these words of wisdom, all watts are not created equal.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ChrisD06
    Options
    @F1nut I don't think I've learned so much so quickly.

As for all watts not being equal, I have been aware of this. 20W premium amps usually sound better than a 100W+ receiver because of the quality of the design and components.

I just had no idea about the current of the amp, I always equated control of the driver to wattage, not current.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    Options
    Damping factor has an impact on driver control as well
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @VR3 Yup, been researching that at well. Honestly, I know it sounds dumb, but the only real negatives I can see to the QSC amps would actually be the quality of the wattage. The current and damping factor seems pretty good for a beginner amp, and the price is right. I'll keep researching but if they're the right price then maybe I'll use them just until I can get the cash for some proper amps.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    Options
    Parasound hca100 I think it is can be had for a couple hundred
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @VR3 I'll keep an eye out for the Parasound. Someone has a Crown CDI1000 for $350, is that one any good?
  • Clipdat
    Options
    ChrisD06 wrote: »
    I'll keep researching but if they're the right price then maybe I'll use them just until I can get the cash for some proper amps.

Buy once, cry once.

• ChrisD06
    Options
    @Clipdat I mean the guy already has them for a price I could flip them for profit at, I could probably get all 3 for even less. If I don't like them, I'll sell them for profit lol. Though if I can get something better to start off with, then I will.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Avoid pro amps for home audio…repeat…avoid pro amps for home audio (except subs). Unless you love the sound of nails on a chalkboard…

Parasound HCA, older rotel, B&K, and adcom are all solid options on the used market. The 5 channel outlaw would be my choice if I was going new.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @rooftop59 Crown, Carver, Denon, NAD, Yamaha are good too, right? Just no PA system stuff?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    Crown, Behringer, QSC, Gemini and Rockville are all pro amps. Personally I'd only use them in a subwoofer application.
  • ChrisD06
    Options
    @pitdogg2 Alright, so look for amps designed for something like home theater or critical listening rather than amps designed to go loud and push tons of wattage in a stadium essentially?
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    The 5 channel outlaw would be my choice if I was going new.

Agree! I've been extremely impressed with the build quality and reliability of the Outlaw 7000x and 5000x I bought mainly for surround speaker duty. They're quiet and powerful and refined enough to use with most main speakers too given their 200 watts or so rating into 4 ohm loads with all channels driven. I'd say the 5000x is every bit the equal of a Parasound A52 I used to have.

A geniune no BS product for a good price...

https://outlawaudio.com/shop/products/50-model-5000x-5-channel-amplifier.html

• ChrisD06
    Options
    @Emlyn What the hell! That's like half the price I'd have payed for a bunch of separate amps! I'm impressed.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    edited June 2023
    Options
    You could go with this one as well.
    https://outlawaudio.com/shop/power_amplifiers/28-model-7900.html

This is why I would run it on two dedicated 20amp circuits.
    At 300 watts of full bandwidth, all-channels-driven power into 8 ohms the Model 7900 will control your reference speakers with relative ease under conditions that would cause most amplifiers to fail.

In fact, the Model 7900 is so powerful, we’re not technically “allowed” to rate this amplifier with 4-ohm speakers under an all channels driven load. Its 450 WPC of output at this impedance will demand 26 amps of combined current draw, technically exceeding the accepted current draw margin for dual 15-amp breakers! However, since no movie has ever been produced requiring all 7 channels to be driven continuously at full bandwidth…well, you can have your power served up any way you like it (we prefer it with popcorn-extra butter, extra salt!)

• ChrisD06
    Options
    @pitdogg2 Looks pretty good, I'm actually installing dual 20 amp breakers for a quad-socket outlet I'm putting in specifically to drive my subwoofers and amps.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,002
    Options
    If you like concert levels in your home then what someone mentioned earlier may be the way to go. Speakers will only play so loud no matter what amp feeds them.

Playing in the range of 100-120db consistently takes a different approach than just watts & current.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Also remember you only get one set of ears, so probably not a great idea to blast them to hell at age 17. But you do you, I guess.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Playing in the range of 100-120db for extended periods of time will cause significant hearing loss in short order.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk