Dedicated Mono Turntable.

gdphoto
gdphoto Posts: 182
edited May 2023 in 2 Channel Audio
My main turntable is a Technics SL-1210-MK5 with a Rega Exact Cartridge. I am very pleased with the way it sounds. In fact, when playing a great-sounding record like one of the UHCR's, certain MOFI's, and especially the new Kevin Gray record I don't know how it could sound any better. Here's my situation, about a year ago I bought an Ortofon White mono cartridge, mainly for listening to my 2014 Mono Beatles. These records sound great with the Rega cartridge, and when I switched to the Mono cartridge they sound even better. 2 weeks ago I figured I would add a dedicated mono TT with the mono Ortofon White cartridge mounted on it, my Hafler DH110 preamp has hookups for 2 turntables. I had a Technics SL-1200-MK2 set up in another room, so I moved into my main setup. It is now all setup and adjusted with the mono cartridge, but it just doesn't sound as good as the MK5. If you had nothing to compare it to it sounds fine, but next to the MK5 it loses something. The MK5 sounds deeper and warmer. Here's the question, is the MK5 that much better than the MK2, or is there something I am overlooking? Also, any suggestions for a mono TT are welcome.
Hafler DH220 Power amp Recapped
Hafler DH110 Preamp Recapped
Hafler Digital FM Tuner
Virtue Audio M1 Piano CD Player
Technics SL-1210-MK5 with a Rega Exact Cartridge
Polk SDA1c's(Rebuilt XO's by Ben) RDO194 Tweeters

Comments

• gdphoto
    P.S. I did have to use a 3-foot set of Amazon Basics hook-up extension cables because it is further away from my preamp.
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,452
    ^ In all likelihood the additional capacitance would have effected the frequency response.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Sorry, but this thread belongs in the 1 Channel Audio section :D

Seriously, there is no advantage in turntables being better for mono vs stereo...tonearms, perhaps, but not the deck itself.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    "It is now all setup and adjusted with the mono cartridge" what does this mean?

The mono cart doesn't sound as good on the mk2 as it does on the mk5?
  • gdphoto
    It means that the MK2 has the mono cartridge mounted onto it and the tracking force and angle are set properly. As for your second question, I am saying that when a mono record is played on the MK5 with the mono cartridge mounted onto it, it sounds better than when the same cartridge is mounted onto the MK2 and playing the same record.

I see now where I may have confused matters by mentioning the mono cartridge. It really doesn't matter that it is mono. When I move the stereo Rega Exact between the MK5 & MK2 the MK5 still sounds better. So, to simplify my question, is a drop off in sound quality to be expected when switching from the MK5 to the MK2? I am just surprised that it would be so noticeable. Could it be as simple as having upgraded hook up cables on the MK5 and stock ones on the MK2? Sorry if my OP got a little confusing.

Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • SeleniumFalcon
    When you say, "sounds better", can you explain what differences you're hearing? Better transient response? Better high frequency detail? If you were comparing two photographs what elements are seen between them, for example?
  • gdphoto
    The first thing I noticed with the MK2 vs. the MK5 is that the overall sound is brighter and not as smooth and warm as the MK5.
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    It sounds like the comparison wasn't done equally if you added a 3' cable due to length/placement constraints. Was everything else the same? Same mat as well on the platter?
  • gdphoto
    edited May 2023
    The only things that are the same between the two is the preamp, amp, and the speakers. I didn't set out to do a shoot-out between the two turntables. I just wanted to have a second Turntable set up for mono albums so I wouldn't have to change headshells and tracking force all of the time. I was just trying to make life easier. I realize this is not apples to apples, but going in I figured it would sound the same. What it now compares to is if you play a great-sounding album on a very good setup and then play the CD version of the same album. So now I'm wondering if it's worth the time to upgrade the RCA cables on the MK2 and if so, would it be a problem to make them 4 to 5 feet in length? Or, should I consider getting another MK5? Would I have the same issue due to the additional distance from the preamp? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but all I wanted to do, with the push of a button, is switch between the two tables and not hear a difference in sound quality. I do appreciate everyone's input. If nothing else, this is a good start for me to end up with what I want.
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    I find the phono cable to be extremely sensitive
    Using an Amazon basics is likely a big reason why it sounds markedly different
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • SeleniumFalcon
    edited May 2023
    I found this in the preamp's owner's manual:

Phono input: biaohafcrh9l.png

This means phono 1 and phono 2 have different cartridge loading, try reversing the two inputs and see if the difference in sound changes.
  • gdphoto
    Thanks! Having never used Phono 2 before, I didn't know they were different. I will give this a try soon as I get a chance.
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    For me cartridge swaps are super simple on the Technics tables because of the headshells. I'd just swap a mono cartridge on for the rare occasion I had a mono LP to play. I do have some of the Beatles mono remasters on vinyl, and thought about getting a mono cartridge, but still haven't gotten around to opening them after several years. It's good to experiment. I also thought about a two turntable setup a few years back but decided it was too much effort.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    edited May 2023
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • gdphoto
    Here's what I've done since last week. Both headshells got new AT6108 Leeds. I upgraded the RCA cables on both the MK5 & MK2 with Mogami #2965, the MK2 getting 5.5 feet of cable to eliminate the Amazon extension cable. And all new #NYS373 Rean Gold plated RCA connectors. Haven't played them a whole lot yet, but so far the MK2 with the Mono cartridge does sound better. The MK5 always sounded great and now seems to have a bit more clarity.

Thank you all for your interest and help, especially SeleniumFalcon. I never knew that the two Phono inputs were different beings I never needed to ever use Phono 2. I did switch them back and forth, before and after new cables, and the MK5 with the Rega Exact sounds better in Phono 1 and the MK2 with the Ortofon Mono sounds better in Phono 2. I admit I still do not understand the technical reasons.

On a side note, yesterday I happened to look in Facebook Market Place and saw a listing for an Ortofon M2 Black LVB 250 new in the box for $400.00. I offered her $300.00 and she accepted. I picked it up today and it is new in the box. Last night I ordered an Ortofon Headshell which I should receive tomorrow. I didn't need it, but couldn't pass up such a deal. It lists for $1100. Any thoughts regarding this cartridge? It will be interesting to hear the difference compared to the Rega Exact. Also, are the leads that come with the Ortofon Headshell good enough, or should I consider upgrading them with the AT6108's. Thanks again, everyone! Gary
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner