Energy Drinks

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,524
I bought my first Rockstar energy drink earlier after speaking to a coworker about it yesterday.

I found it at the local Wawa, in the next cooler over from the heroin.

I'm feeling a tremendous amount of guilt and shame.

It feels different than caffeine. Like a chilled focus.

You guys drink these things?
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,108
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Regular ol' caffeine is my go-to*.
    So... no.
    You might want to try yerba maté. I have long been tempted, but I am afraid I'll quaff one cup and do a Len Bias. :#:(

https://www.uptontea.com/tisanes-and-herbals/green-yerba-mate-loose-leaf-herbal-tea/p/V00025/
    https://www.uptontea.com/tisanes-and-herbals/roasted-yerba-mate-loose-leaf-herbal-tea/p/V00026/

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,162
    edited May 2023
    Options
    i did some free basing round about then too.
    Yes, I did.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,054
    Options
    The younger fellows I used to work with on paving crews loved that crap especially when we did 3rd shift. I never had the urge to try any of it as coffee has always worked for me.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,125
    Options
    My wife drinks it but I stay away from it for sure.

I bought her 48 * 32oz of the green tea dragon monsters at the local bin store for $4. She seems to like them!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    Options
    Where is the Insanity button?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Where is the Insanity button?

https://forum.polkaudio.com

1) Abandon hope all ye who enter here.
    2) Beyond here there be dragons.

B)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    OleBoot wrote: »
    Yes, I did.

Yowza! :#
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    Options
    I don’t drink them much anymore, but have had many over the years. IMO Rockstar tastes the worst, easily (of the brands I’ve tried). Give Monster or Red Bull a shot if you’re going to keep drinking them.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,162
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    OleBoot wrote: »
    Yes, I did.

Yowza! :#

I lied, but I thought the spoiler was required for completeness.
  • msg
    Options
    CottageChz wrote: »
    I don’t drink them much anymore, but have had many over the years. IMO Rockstar tastes the worst, easily (of the brands I’ve tried). Give Monster or Red Bull a shot if you’re going to keep drinking them.
    Wow, interesting.

I don't think I will be. Currently experiencing feelings of sadness, low self-worth, depression... Maybe even a little bit of fear and anxiety? I think I saw some cardinals conspiring, earlier... might just be paranoia.

It reminds me of this. I was on the upside for about 5 to 10 minutes, and then I think I went over the hump...
    1umnm95yniux.png

I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Cardinals? Like the guys who burn stuff when they elect a new Pope, or the other kind?

52706611247_ec761372d1_b.jpg

I have a friend in B-more who has a coffee mug emblazoned:
    I am a caffeine achiever

• CottageChz
    Options
    Sounds like you should stay away then. Don’t want to find yourself reaching into the heroin cooler instead.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,637
    Options
    I bought my first Rockstar energy drink earlier after speaking to a coworker about it yesterday.

I found it at the local Wawa, in the next cooler over from the heroin.

I'm feeling a tremendous amount of guilt and shame.

It feels different than caffeine. Like a chilled focus.

You guys drink these things?

I use the cooler with the heroin.... I've not graduated to the crack.....
  • msg
    Options
    Cardinals? Like the guys who burn stuff when they elect a new Pope, or the other kind?
    52706611247_ec761372d1_b.jpg
    lol - yes, that OTHER kind!
    mhardy6647 wrote:
    I have a friend in B-more who has a coffee mug emblazoned:
    I am a caffeine achiever
    Whew, yeah, I don't even tolerate caffeine very well, but it doesn't stop me from trying.

I think I now have what I can only characterize as "an energy drink hangover". I think I might have brain damage.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,885
    Options
    Nope don't drink it. I wait one hour after waking to have my coffee in order for the adenosine to disappear if I have another it's before 3pm. No caffeine 8hrs before bed.
    Plus that stuff is usually filled with lots of sugars and dyes.
  • msg
    Options
    Regular ol' caffeine is my go-to*.
    So... no.
    You might want to try yerba maté. I have long been tempted, but I am afraid I'll quaff one cup and do a Len Bias.
    I've had that! One of my friends used to live in Indonesia and when he came back with his wife and family he had this special little gourd mug and straw for that. He said you're not supposed to touch the straw, and the locals get all bent out of shape and yell if they're sharing a drink, and someone moves the straw.

Also, not sure whether related to the yerba maté or just this dirty ball I was playing with with his youngest, but I went home that afternoon, and later that night began to develop flu-like symptoms and was sick for three days.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Tea, baby, tea!
    The Seven Cups [Bowls] of Tea

“The first cup moistens the throat;
    The second shatters all feelings of solitude;
    The third cup cleans digestion;
    The fourth induces perspiration;
    With the fifth cup, the body sharpens, crisp;
    And the sixth cup leads to heaven;
    The seventh cup sits steaming… it needn’t be drunk
    From head to feet one rises to the abode of the immortals.”
    – Lu Tong, 795–835 CE

quoted from https://static.uptoncdn.com/images/art/Upton_Tea_Upton_Winter_2022_Quarterly.pdf

4scljomfmd28.png
    I think I now have what I can only characterize as "an energy drink hangover". I think I might have brain damage.

https://youtu.be/996Myqoi4gE
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Any tea but black tea for me. Yes I'm a tea snob. You should see my back stock of loose leaf tea's from China.😉
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,989
    Options
    Energy drinks will potentially do very significant damage to your internal organs.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,634
    Options
    I heard that they shrink your gonads.
  • CottageChz
    Options
    I’d forgotten about it, but my one friend in high school chugged 4 Red Bulls… because that seems like something a high schooler would do, I guess. That night his appendix ruptured. Coincidence?
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes! :p
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,966
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Energy drinks will potentially do very significant damage to your internal organs.
    yes….I’ll stick with coffee. 5 hour energy not too great for you either.
  • msg
    Options
    Yeah, so that was not a pleasant trip yesterday, at all. I know better, anyway. I was just curious if it was any different than caffeine, which can sometimes make me foggy or tazzy.

Feeling back to normal today.

Also, I remembered - Taurine, a common ingredient, is made from pressed bull **** that they get from bullfight bulls in Spain.
    CottageChz wrote: »
    I’d forgotten about it, but my one friend in high school chugged 4 Red Bulls… because that seems like something a high schooler would do, I guess. That night his appendix ruptured. Coincidence?
    wow! that's crazy. I wonder what the doctors thought. I once had a one-nighter with a girl (that ended up turning into a real relationship much by accident; I can never seem to pull off the one-nighter thing), and she wound up in the hospital the second day after. she was a nurse practitioner and I always enjoyed reminding her and telling people how I effed a girl's appendix out once.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Your body makes its own Taurine Scott from Cysteine which come from high protein foods or your pancreas.

"Energy" drinks today are really no worse than soda pop. The "energy" drinks of a decade or more ago are a very different story. Most had 1500mg+ of caffine in each can. The government put the stop to that high caffine content when underaged (less than21) kids started overdosing by trying to drink a 12pk or case in one sitting. A few actually died form the high caffine content and the lack of parents who actually cared about what their kids were doing or consuming.
    Yes I caught my son and nephew who had both threw funds together and had my niece drive them to the store to buy a case. They knew better to ask mom or dad! Once I became aware of the number of bathroom breaks they both needed I became suspicious and pulled a recon to see what was up. Once I knew I confiscated the rest of their ill gotten loot. >:)>:)

I will say I did once enjoy me some Sparks, which was a the same high caffine and 8% alcohol in a can. Nothing like being a very wide awake unable to fall down drunk :p:p
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    I drink a can of reign near daily
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Not to be outdone by:
    hfbpejkehxmc.png
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,110
    edited May 2023
    Options
    prygjy9yeey3.jpg
    64s2653cv48v.jpg

Drew: I think these are the same product you posted. I think they did change the name. I never cared for the stuff. A good friend had the regional distributorship for this when it first came out around 2000. He took truck loads of it to Sturgis a couple of years and did very well. I have a few posters etc. This bottle was handy.

EDIT: Maybe the name is still the same? https://sumpoosieworldwide.com/
  • msg
    Options
    Bucket List Item: Spend some quality time with a cartoon woman someday.
    I disabled signatures.