WTB 4- MW6511/ 2-MW6510

My tale of woe....I had purchased a new Adcom 555SE. After using it for over two years driving my SDA1C's it started having a loud burst tone out of the left side, almost like a gun blast. It would do it every so often, usually within a few minutes from start up. It was pretty impossible to diagnose given the short duration and unpredictable timing of the problem. I had several discussions with Adcom but they were of no help and the latest buyout of the company has it completely in disarray, FYI...Beware. The end result of all this, was that the last tone burst was much more severe and blew the two 7 amp fuses in the left channel power supply. It also damaged my MW6511 and MW6510 speakers at the same time. If anyone had one or more that they could part with, it would be appreciated greatly. I am down and musicless, suffering "The Sound Of Silence". I bought a Parasound Halo A21+ as a replacement FYI.

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • ednjillb
    ednjillb Posts: 11
    Misery loves company....
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Are all 6 drivers shorted?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • ednjillb
    No, what is damaged is the 2-MW6511s for sure. The 6510s, I have one replacement, and I think they may be OK. I won't know for sure until I can put them back in the cabinet and can listen to them with some 6511s in place. I can come up with the 6510s pretty easily, it is the two 6511s that are troublesome as I am sure you are aware of. The SDA1C has two 6511s and two 6510s per side and it was just the left side that the Adcom decided it was time to assassinate. Since the "Big Bang" there is distortion and if you physically move the cones, the 6511s are scraping and the 6510s are not. I can get back online with just 2 6511s. I was also looking for some spares given this experience which is why the 6 total...
  • neskahi2
    neskahi2 Posts: 35
    I have 6 of each available. $55.00 each. Also; MW 6503, 5 available. Gimpod Boards, 1 pr. for 2.3 TL. MW 6513, 1 ea. MW 6513, 1 ea., a little coil rub but went away when rotated 180 deg. SDA 2.3 cross over, 2 ea., [not TL] ordered for temporary use while mine were being rebuilt by Ben. MW Gaskets, 18 ea. 15" Passive Gaskets, 2 ea.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Ben R.I.P.

Now there is a name from the past. What was your name here back then?
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2023
    @Neskahi

Visits

Would you like to restore your old account?
  • ednjillb
    edited May 2023
    Neskahi2.

I would buy 4-MW6511s and 2-MW 6510 and 6 MW gaskets. Are these vintage take outs or new stock from when Polk had some replacements built? You can call me.
    Thanks Ed
    Post edited by CFarrell_SoundUnited on
  • pitdogg2
    ednjillb wrote: »
    Neskahi2.

I would buy 4-MW6511s and 2-MW 6510 and 6 MW gaskets. Are these vintage take outs or new stock from when Polk had some replacements built? You can call me at.
    Thanks Ed

Ed it is never a good idea to put you number out on the open internet, that is what the PM (personal message) is for. Click on @neskahi2 and a box will come up to message him.
    It would be a good idea to edit out your number. click the 3 dot to the right side of your post

• neskahi2
    edited May 2023
    They are vintage. Please see pics. They are a bit dusty as I never cleaned them up receipt.
    There is no coil rub. When inspecting my stash I found 3 with tiny pin holes and set them aside.
    Actually they real dusty.
    These in the photo have no holes and ohm out good. The Gimpod Board is just for reference by others.
    wty7dridjwed.jpeg
    p25tqi72k0er.jpeg
    04s9i2bbxrha.jpeg
    Post edited by neskahi2 on
  • neskahi2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    @Neskahi

Visits

Please do. I may need it in the future for selling. Thanks.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    neskahi2 wrote: »
    @Neskahi

Visits

Need your old account name

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • neskahi2
    Old account name: Neskahi
  • pitdogg2
    @Neskahi

Visits

neskahi2 wrote: »
    @Neskahi

Visits

@CFarrell_SoundUnited @SeleniumFalcon
    Clint or Ken would either of you be able to help restore a members account?
    The original account name was @Neskahi, if so please reach out to @neskahi2, he may be locked out of his old account. you can see the his old post numbers above.

Thanks
  • Ed. We need full report on your venture into the rabbit hole of SDA's. Especially the mint 2.3's that you scored.
    Hope all of the drivers you received worked well.