Duntech Crown Prince speakers?

Options
I was browsing FB Marketplace and saw a listing for a pair of Duntech speakers. They are in rough shape. Looks like the foam surrounds are completely deteriorated, and the crossovers would probably need to be rebuilt due to age. The seller is asking $1800. I couldn't fit them in my house, but maybe someone here would like to revive these?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/491509606395342/?mibextid=dXMIcH

BTW I have no affiliation with the seller.
Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    Options
    Probsbly sound awesome
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    The woofer surrounds can apparently be replaced with Dynaudio surrounds. (Duntechs suggestion). Not confirmed but I ran across this while reading about them.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    Tom,
    I couldn't help but notice how the drivers are arranged similarly to your Tyler speakers. I know that I like the way my Snell speakers sound with the M-T-M arrangement. I'd be curious to hear how the top bass driver affects the overall sound.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    edited May 2023
    Options
    After owning speakers with an upper and lower bass driver, especially when they are tall, it would be very hard to go back to a different arrangement.

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    @newbie308 - I can explain more in depth when we meet at LSAF in a couple of weeks. While I am typing on my phone whilst saying this, please forgive any typographical errors or weird words (auto correct BS). I will just type as the thoughts come to me...

Having a driver higher up as Trey and I have (as mentioned) is something that once heard? It would be hard to listen to anything else. Not like it would be detrimental or anything to go back to what we both had before but the experience with a bigger cabinet and higher driver(s) is different and wonderful.

Obviously the height difference is changed but not "just" because of driver location. The entire presentation, provided your system is optimized, is an experience.

Musical reproduction takes on a different aspect and one that is wonderful to listen too. You experience things like drums being thrown down to below the bottom of the speaker to well above tweeter height and everything in-between. Not on all recordings but when you experience it, it is undeniable.

Lower registers, as well as other registers up the chain can be thrown in different directions. Whether it be back to front, top to bottom or (just like stereo) left to right. It's just not limited to left or right though.

It presents a more 3-D Sound stage for the reproductive effort. In all aspects. This is one appreciable aspect. Another aspect would be the sense of scale.

A good system will yield a sense of the scale of the performance hall, venue, concert hall and the like. Like what Trey and I had with our respective previous speakers and with what you and most of the folks here (hopefully) now experience. You could "tell" what size the venue or studio was but with drivers that are well above the tweeter height, you experience the aura, the size and especially the scale of the event much easier than all drivers being close and in a smaller cabinet.

The scale I would describe as THE biggest difference. It's not like an 18" woofer that exaggerates and distorts certain things, it is more like a very well balanced and integrated enhancement that does nothing more to the signal but greatly enhances the reproductive effort as to what actually hits your ears.

It puts you closer to being there. At the event. At the venue or recording studio.

Certain songs, I am guessing by using phase manipulation, REALLY throw the sound around. Think, Billie Eilish or Tool's, "Chocolate Chip Trip". The height differential takes on a whole new meaning when listening. It's not just one or two layers of drums. It's like 4 or 5 different but distinct layers of the height of the drums. These sounds move toward you, away from you, as well as left to right but now, you add in the enhanced (greatly enhanced) element of height differential. All working in tandem to offer you an incredible reproductive experience.

When listening to James Blake's, "Limit to your Love" or Monstercat's "Bliss on Mushrooms" for example? Holy crap Batman! The spatial information that wields itself around the listening room is flat out F'n INCREDIBLE! It's akin (to me) to having the world's most sensitive ears and being located inside of a human heart. Sounds just emanate from anywhere. Everywhere. It's awesome to experience such a thing and in a repeatable way. Every time you listen.

Again, not all songs or recordings will offer you this. It completely depends on the artist, the recording, the mastering engineer and the quality of the recording itself (and I am sure plenty more things I can't think of right now) but when all of the aforementioned come in to play and you have a system capable of reproducing the intent? Hubba.....hubba.....hubba.....

What you inquired about definitely helps one to achieve said goal. FWIW.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    Tom,
    Thank you for that description! I feel your enthusiasm and joy in your analogies. Unfortunately, my house is really small and these speakers absolutely will not fit in my living space or I would have purchased them already.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    A friend of mine picked up a pair of mint Duntech Black Knights recently for $1700. Very impressive bass and mids but the highs seemed a little soft compared to some other speakers he had on hand. But, definitely BIG speakers!
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Does anyone know where I can get some baby dick speaker cables like this?
    3s2k0cnzjci6.png