Craigslist Challenge

Options
How far can you get through this ad before you cry "Bull$%&t!"?

https://santafe.craigslist.org/msg/d/santa-fe-bw-801-speakers/7614664634.html

"They are the same model the Beatles used in the studio while recording Abbey Road. I got them years ago and the original owner paid $10k in the 90s for them and they are still worth $3k - $5k. The only one Ive seen for sale online was $2500 and they were in rough condition. Would be interested in a trade for them. They need an amp to power them which I do not have for sale. I have them set up with my own amplifier which you are welcome to come listen to them on.

There are some scratch marks in the wood on the backs of them. The fabric is in very nice condition.

Willing to Deliver out of state for a fee.

Here is an article on the 801s.
https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en-us/blog/products/history-of-800-series"

Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,123
    Options
    That is the first Pic I've seen of those with the grill on top, looks much better

That price seems normal to me. The Beatles thing is irrelevant
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,860
    Options
    Some scratches? Looks like they've been in a war zone.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    Options
    But the Beatles used them Jesse
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,137
    Options
    Just for gits and shiggles... I sent this. >:)

If the 800 series speakers began their design phase in 1979, as Bowers website indicates, How in the hell did they get into The Beatles hands for the Abbey Road sessions back in 1969? Just asking for a friend...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Just for gits and shiggles... I sent this. >:)

If the 800 series speakers began their design phase in 1979, as Bowers website indicates, How in the hell did they get into The Beatles hands for the Abbey Road sessions back in 1969? Just asking for a friend...

They were ahead of their time.
  • VR3
    Options
    Beatles were from the future, this is just further proof
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    Options
    That is a very squishy padded material between the woofer and mid/tweeter. A local pawnshop had a set in MUCH better shape here in town. I could have bought the set for $500. This dude is smoking crack!
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    That is the first Pic I've seen of those with the grill on top, looks much better

That price seems normal to me. The Beatles thing is irrelevant

Keep in mind that these are 801F Series 80, not the Matrix versions. You can tell because they aren't ported.

The part about the previous owner paying $10K in the 90s is complete fantasy.

These are not worth $3-5K. The Series 80 tops out around $1500, but not in this condition.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    I'd give him $200. Cool speakers though.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,730
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Those look like the set from an owner that replaced them with 10B-SDA's.
    May be them as beat up as they are.
    Post edited by xschop on
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,523
    Options
    You're thinking of the guy who had the SRS 10BTLs
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,105
    edited May 2023
    Options
    In the studio at Abbey Road (and also in the "Let it Be" sessions at Apple), the Beatles heard themselves on Altec Duplexes (albeit 605As rather than 604s) in 612 cabinets -- and that's a danged fine way to hear them, I might add. B)

15406378686_aa511a7d39_w.jpg

ex40lmb9cyj8.png
    Glyn Johns from Get Back with the Altecs.
    https://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/01/26/get-back-let-it-be-sessions-day-18

xayld64vrm6p.png
    George and a phalanx of Altecs :D
    https://www.beatlesbible.com/1969/01/26/get-back-let-it-be-sessions-day-17/