Audio Research in Trouble

Options
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/whither-audio-research.36751/

Hopefully this doesn’t spell the end for them.
Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Sounds like it may have been a sale arrangement. A lot of audio companies that started 40 to 50 years ago that managed to remain independent over the decades based on keeping a close relationship with dealers and customers have had to sell their brand as the old timer founders have aged out. Unfortunately, excellent customer service hasn’t always survived when the torch has been passed. But some have benefitted by getting access to capital investment to modernize.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,277
    edited April 2023
    Options
    "Hello, everyone. This is my first post on What's Best because I want you to know what is happening at Audio Research. Some of you know me since I was hire by Bill Johnson at Audio Research in 1989. I left for a few years and returned to ARC in 1996.
    We will be posting a statement on the Fans of Audio Research's FB page, and also the company's FB page as this seems the fastest way to get the facts out.
    Nathanu's post is correct. What almost no one seems to realize is that Audio Research has been running since the assignment was filed on April 4th, almost four weeks ago. That was a week and a half before AXPONA, where our VP Sales (Allan Haggar) worked with Quintessence Audio (REF10, REFPH10, 160M MkII). We are staffed, with customer service answering the phone, the service department is repairing products, production is building new products, we are receiving parts, our sales department continues to accept orders, and our shipping department is shipping parts and product orders along with service work.
    Trent Suggs was relieved of control of Audio Research. We have been working with individuals who want to purchase the company, and I expect that we will have a new owner within the week. There will be continuity as production, engineering, purchasing, service, and critical personnel will remain working for Audio Research. Warren Gehl, too.
    I am writing this quickly as there are a lot of things to attend to immediately. Thanks to Mike for sending me this link to this so I could respond”

A quote from someone at Audio Research.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Isn’t/wasn’t Audio Research owned or affiliated with McIntosh in some fashion?
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Isn’t/wasn’t Audio Research owned or affiliated with McIntosh in some fashion?

Yes, but only rather briefly (and not all that long ago).
    Lots of chatter about this on other forums, too.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Maybe there were legal reasons to say nothing for almost a month because the owner was "relieved of control of Audio Research" but the silence seems to have gathered quite a bit of undesirable negative publicity for the brand.

Maybe they could no longer secure a reliable source of audio grade tubes and have decided to go Class D for all future products instead (joking).

:D
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Maybe there were legal reasons to say nothing for almost a month because the owner was "relieved of control of Audio Research" but the silence seems to have gathered quite a bit of undesirable negative publicity for the brand.

Maybe they could no longer secure a reliable source of audio grade tubes and have decided to go Class D for all future products instead (joking).

:D

Lol, but that would seem plausible, as far as the class D part.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,701
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Sounds like it may have been a sale arrangement. A lot of audio companies that started 40 to 50 years ago that managed to remain independent over the decades based on keeping a close relationship with dealers and customers have had to sell their brand as the old timer founders have aged out. Unfortunately, excellent customer service hasn’t always survived when the torch has been passed. But some have benefitted by getting access to capital investment to modernize.

The new conglomerate of failures known as Soundbar United.

Look on the brightside, soon you can be the proud owner of a McIntosh soundbar.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,036
    Options
    You know there is a market for a surround bar with blue meters that dance to the music
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jbreezy5
    Options
    …and all for only $5k

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,701
    Options
    You'll feel good about downsizing to save the planet too.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    edited May 2023
    Options
    I mean, there is this already, y'know? Not quite a soundbar, but almost as good.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-kH08ScDofu8/p_958RS250/McIntosh-RS250.html

29n5tvg2iqt2.png

1lagv1yjd9sy.png

:#
  • VR3
    Options
    That price..........

Like some rich guys under cabinet kitchen radio
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,333
    Options
    Better than Bose....

Well, maybe...

Maybe not. Awe chit son, I'll shut up now.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    I think they’ll be fine
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • VR3
    Options
    World of cheap money has come to an end and alot of companies will follow suit I'm afraid.

The unprofitable companies that worked oon constant cash injections and debt are about to be consolidated into a larger umbrella or forgotten