Polk MM6 speakers impressing me at high volumes... HELP Please.

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello:

I recently installed a full system in my car, and I am realitivly happy with it. I chose These polk speakers because they looked and sounded very nice. When I installed them I liked them very much, I had to do some cutting to make them fit in my door, but other then that it went smoothly. now when i turn up the volume, to around 1/2- 3/4 volume, I can hear the tweets distort. I mean it is loud, but not really loud. It is rather annoying, since i paid good money for these speakers.

I am using very good componets, here is my list.

Alpine (un-powered) deck --- just a clean signal
1 4ch Alpine amp (MRD 500)
2 mono Alpine amps (MRG 300) (one amp for each sub)
2 Alpine Type R 12inch Subs
1 sealed dual chamber Sub box
All monster cable wire (all oxy-free wires)
Polk MM6 front speakers
Polk ex series Rear speakers
Micro vision 7inch lcd tv. (in the works to be installed soon)
Car-puter (ready to be installed)

so as you can see, I have spent some decent money on my equipment, and I a little unpleased with the results. I am not happy with the subs, but I plan on getting some JL's to replace them.

on my deck, i have the High pass set to 10.0k, and bass set to 100 for frequency wise.

any ideas on how to improve my sound? I am in a bind right now... thanks for any input in advance!

-Chris
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    First off the 10K on your head unit is not a crossover. Rather it is the point where the EQ will center. If you have it centered on 10K then its also pulling a lot of the high end mid range up when you adjust it. I have mine set at 17.5K and it works a lot better. Having it set this high doesnt pull the hi-mid range up which you dont want if youre listening to metal. Try a higher center point and see if that helps. It probably wont but it may make it sound better overall.

Try attenuating the tweeters. The MM6's crossover has the option of adjusting the tweeters output by either 0db, -3db or -6 db. It should be set in the 0db position right now. Try it in the -3 and see how that sounds. If its not any better then try it with -6.

Im not familiar with those amps you listed. As far as I knew the MRD500 is a mono block amp. The reason I ask is that the second thing that could be wrong is that you may be underpowering them. The MM6 is a power hungry little beast. If youre giving it anything less than 100 rms each then that could be your problem. Since its not getting enough grunt to move the speakers properly this could be the source of your distortion. If your amp is a 50x4 I highly, highly recommend ditching the rear speakers and bi-amping the MM6s (50 to each tweet and 50 to each mid). This will help out tremendously and also give you more flexibility in tuning the tweeter.

Let us know how it turns out.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited June 2004
    Thank you very much for responding so quickly, and in much detail as well. I have tried changing the 0db to -3, and to -6, but i never really heard a diffrence... i was beginning to think they just put them there for show. hah. Anyway, my amp puts out 500 wats total, and 125 per ch. the specs of the speakers are 125max power. so i figure they have enough power. but the funny thing is, is that i only have the amps turned up half way because if i turn it up any more then that, then the speakers buckle. I will try changing the frequency to 17.5 when i get home.

thank you again for you help, please let me know of any other ideas.

-chris

Originally posted by MacLeod
    First off the 10K on your head unit is not a crossover. Rather it is the point where the EQ will center. If you have it centered on 10K then its also pulling a lot of the high end mid range up when you adjust it. I have mine set at 17.5K and it works a lot better. Having it set this high doesnt pull the hi-mid range up which you dont want if youre listening to metal. Try a higher center point and see if that helps. It probably wont but it may make it sound better overall.

Try attenuating the tweeters. The MM6's crossover has the option of adjusting the tweeters output by either 0db, -3db or -6 db. It should be set in the 0db position right now. Try it in the -3 and see how that sounds. If its not any better then try it with -6.

Im not familiar with those amps you listed. As far as I knew the MRD500 is a mono block amp. The reason I ask is that the second thing that could be wrong is that you may be underpowering them. The MM6 is a power hungry little beast. If youre giving it anything less than 100 rms each then that could be your problem. Since its not getting enough grunt to move the speakers properly this could be the source of your distortion. If your amp is a 50x4 I highly, highly recommend ditching the rear speakers and bi-amping the MM6s (50 to each tweet and 50 to each mid). This will help out tremendously and also give you more flexibility in tuning the tweeter.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Now the MM6 is rated at 150 RMS not 125 max. However if your amp is putting out 125 RMS (not max) per channel then you are getting enough power.

That is odd that the attenuator didnt have any effect. They wont have a drastic effect but you should be able to notice it.

You may also want to check that they are wired in phase.

Other than that I cant think of anything else that could be causing them to distort unless theyre defective. That is assuming theyre not being pushed too hard.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited June 2004
    i highly doubt that they are rated for 150 rms... i remember looking at the manual about 2-3 weeeks ago, and i remember seing in there that it was 125 max... and i went to show my brother why my speakers might be acting weird. but, yeah, it is odd that i could not hear a diffrence, maybe it is because the cross over is in the trunk, and the spears are in the front of the car. (maybe i just can't hear it from running back and forth.)

and i am sure that the wiring are all in phase. maybe i will fiddle with some more settings.

-Chris

Originally posted by MacLeod
    Now the MM6 is rated at 150 RMS not 125 max. However if your amp is putting out 125 RMS (not max) per channel then you are getting enough power.

That is odd that the attenuator didnt have any effect. They wont have a drastic effect but you should be able to notice it.

You may also want to check that they are wired in phase.

Other than that I cant think of anything else that could be causing them to distort unless theyre defective. That is assuming theyre not being pushed too hard.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2004
    Trust me, they are rated to handle 150 watts RMS. Dont just take my word for it, go here and check em out. This is the spec page for the MM6.

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    Could you possibly have the older MM465 components? They had a lower power rating... Cody has 225Wrms going to his MM6's, I have at least 160 going to mine, probably closer to like 200 (I wish I really knew *how much* my amp is underrated...)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MrDHEJ
    MrDHEJ Posts: 137
    edited June 2004
    I've got a US Amps TU-600 Tube amp running my MM6's, that's 150watts to each side "advertised anyway". If you don't notice a differance when switching the tweeter output you've got something wired wrong, it should be very noticable. I had to set mine to -3. I have not been able to get my system to distort before my ears start hurting. Your amp gain may also be to high, set your radio to 80% then raise your amp gain till it gets to loud or distorts. On my TU-600 my gain is around the 2 of 10 mark.

Putting the crossovers in the trunk isn't a real good idea, you want them as close to the speakers as possible. What gauge speaker wire are you using to the crossovers then to the speakers?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    you do have them hooked up to the crossovers right?
    the only other thing i can think of is your amp is distorting, and those speakers can easily handle 150w rms, i have 225 going to mine, the tweets are slowly starting to die though
    do you have a link to the amp you have powering them?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    edited June 2004
    Hey guys, sorry i have not posted in a while. I am sure i have the MM6 speakers, here... please go to my website for my full car audio install......

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/479058/9

I put the crossovers in the trunk because i really didn't want them to get wet in the door, and also i wanted to show them off once i build my custom trunk. i will try doing what you sugested, and put the volume all the way up on the deck and what not.

and i hopr it is not my amps, for i paid good money for them, and they are alpines, so they should sound good. thanks for all the replys, keep them comming! :)

-Chris
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • 2k2max6spd
    2k2max6spd Posts: 16
    edited June 2004
    Yay, I'm registered now. ok, thats all. :) and feel free to look around my web site on the diffrent pages, all new pics of my car/install are on page 8 through 12. below page 8 are all my previous cars, and misc pictures. enjoy. :)

-Chris
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited June 2004
    yeah, i also have 150wrms running to mine and they sound beautiful, you do have them at 4 ohms correct? cause if you bridged them down to 2 they're gonna sound like crap (believe me, i tried with my last amp...)
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.