optical audio

Options
Hi. I'm trying to connect my MagniFI Mini AX to an older TV without an ARC or eARC HDMI output. I bought an optical audio cable and connected it to the TV and sound bar but I'm not getting audio. I turned off the internal TV speakers and tried turning everything off and on. Is there something I need to do with the sound bar to tell it I'm using the optical cable? Thanks.

Answers

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,489
    Options
    What is the model number of your TV, that way I can try and find the owners manual.
  • ProbyProby2
    Options
    Hey, SF! I'm the guy you helped last week with the subwoofer that was not performing well. Kim Jasper wound up sending me a whole new system, so thanks for your help. The TV is a Panasonic plasma set from 2009 with model# TC-P54G10.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Hey, SF! I'm the guy you helped last week with the subwoofer that was not performing well. Kim Jasper wound up sending me a whole new system, so thanks for your help. The TV is a Panasonic plasma set from 2009 with model# TC-P54G10.

That might be part of the troubles... Older TV's do not always work well with new tech used by newer soundbars and such.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Your TV should be fine, there is an optical audio output. However you have to turn the TV's speakers off before it will send an audio signal out to an external amplifier (in this case the soundbar). This is from the owners manual:

xpn1wkr993wg.png
  • ProbyProby2
    Options
    Good morning, SF. I've tried turning off the internal speakers in the "Advanced Audio" section of the TV menu, but it didn't work. I'll try again, making sure the speakers are off before I turn anything else on. Thank you for looking into this for me. If you don't mind my asking, do you work for Polk/Massimo as a contractor providing technical support? As I told Kim Jasper, the customer service/support is great!
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Another consideration is that the TV's audio level needs to be increased even though the internal speakers are turned off. And, of course, your soundbar has to be set to the corresponding digital optical input.
    I used to work for Polk from 1995 until 2010 when I retired and have continued helping out when I can.
  • ProbyProby2
    Options
    Thanks again, SF. (I'm retired, too, and it doesn't stink!) No luck with connecting everything after I turned off the internal speakers, I'm afraid. I don't think, though, that I've tried setting the soundbar to the "corresponding digital optical input." How do I do that?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    I read this in the Polk owners manual:

"Note: If your TV does not have an HDMI port, you can connect the sound bar to your TV using an optical cable. However, please note that an optical connection does not support Roku TV Ready™ or Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X® audio formats."

You should select "TV" as the source on the soundbar's remote. I'm checking with Polk to see if there's anything else you need to do.

• ProbyProby2
    Options
    Got it!!! There was an HDMI setting in the TV menu that had to be changed to "Digital" (I don't know why it wasn't) and the button on top of the souindbar, that looks like a box with an arrow pointing to the right, needed to be set to OPT. Thanks for all your help, SF!
  • ProbyProby2
    Options
    Thanks again, SF. If you ever find yourself in Glen Rock, New Jersey, I'll buy you a beer at the Glen Rock Inn! - Bob
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    You're welcome! I'm glad you got things working! Enjoy!
    Glen Rock Inn, you got it!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,314
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk BTW, @ProbyProby2. Hang around a bit and don't be a stranger to these parts.

Glad to hear that you got your issue sorted out.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ProbyProby2
    Options
    Thanks, Tom. Will do. Proud to be a member! - Bob