Upgrade path from RTi A4 speakers?

Options
New to the forum but have had these Polk speakers for several years. Used with the center speaker made to match them. Driven by a Yamaha RX-V559 receiver, max power 135w per channel. Used in a 15x15 room with normal ceiling height. Each speaker is low on furniture about 1" above floor. Wood floor in room. Height within speaker space is about 22" but I've no special desire to go that high. New bookshelves would be fine.

And so the question... am I right to assume a significant improvement in overall sound with new Reserve or Legend speakers? (Trying to avoid the temptation of the "5th Anniversary Edition" Reserves just because they have the same beautiful cherry finish that the A4s have.)

If I upgraded to Reserve or Legend speakers can I continue to use the current center channel speaker? How much would be gained by one of the Reserve centers. The Legend center speaker at $1799 seems a bit much.

So what think ye who are more experienced with Polk than myself. Opinions/advice welcome.

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,836
    Options
    Your speakers are one inch off the floor!?!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Bestbob
    Bestbob Posts: 6
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Your speakers are one inch off the floor!?!

Alas, yes. And that configuration can't change without a major change in furniture. With this possibility... there is about 8" of space above the speakers so something other than a normal speaker stand could raise them a bit.
  • F1nut
    Options
    In that case, keep what you have. No speaker will perform as good as they could while on the floor. Therefore, you'd be wasting money, IMO.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,088
    Options
    Upgrade path? Time frame?

Decades? Based on my current trajectory, given I started with rt35i...

I project a light bank account and insanely large speakers in your future
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Bestbob
    Options
    Well, not decades. Anytime in the next two or three months. No rush as I've had the current set for several years. L/R speakers were a Christmas gift. The center came later via a Crutchfield sale. Insanely large speakers are not possible in this household however much they would be a fine addition.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,485
    Options
    What is the goal?

What is the use? Strictly TV, or combo TV and music? If both, how much would you prioritize music?

Do you have a sub?

Definitely need some elevation. Tweeters, as a general rule, should be around ear height.

As a test, stack your current speakers on something to give them some height, and then add something else under the front to tilt them so that they are aimed more directly at you, at your ears while you are sitting in the listening position.

See if there's any improvement along the lines of what you're after.

Speakers need room to breathe, generally. Ensure that they have some space around them on all sides, and pull them forward of any cabinetry or equipment at their sides, top and bottom. They should be aimed somewhat in the direction of your ears, toed in, usually, so that they "cross" behind your head.

Another idea would be getting them out into space by a few feet. Unless they're somewhat serious about performance, this setup isn't usually acceptable for most people.

If any of this improves the sound of what you've got in ways that meet your goals, then maybe consider a speaker upgrade.
    Otherwise, yeah, not sure I'd spend much on something new, unless there were some placement flexibility in the future.

I disabled signatures.
  • Bestbob
    Options
    Turns out elevation possible with an adjustable speaker stand... the IsoAcoutics ISO-130, for instance. This would move speakers 8" higher than they are now and still fit within current top of furniture. So methinks that's the first step... elevate and see how the sound changes. Cost is low at $99 for two.

Rear is not a problem... open back on furniture and about 15" from wall behind it. There is also space to each side of the speakers.

Alternative for greater height... place on top of current furniture... that's 28" high base to sit the speakers. And completely open all the way around. About the same height ad the TV and about 2 feet eithers side of it. Will try that tonight.

No sub.

Little music listening from here. Movies through Amazon Prime. Many mysteries with subtitles per MhZ and Topic. Occasional DVD movies.
  • F1nut
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Alternative for greater height... place on top of current furniture... that's 28" high base to sit the speakers. And completely open all the way around.
    This!

Ear height is generally in the 38 to 40 inch range.

When you do this you will need to run the calibration program in your AVR again and get a really good sub. It will make a world of difference to your HT experience.

President of Club Polk

• Bestbob
    Options
    For sure in an ideal world a sub would be a major improvement. But not really trying for a home theatre environment in this room. Will not be any rear speakers or anything reflecting from the ceiling.

Recommendation for a smallish sub where impact can be relatively confined to the 15x15 room? Home is 2400 sq ft ranch. This set up is in what is also referred to as the "library"... books on two sides of the room and windows on two other sides. TV/speakers are in front of one set of windows facing one wall of books.

Ear height when sitting on the couch in front of TV & speakers actually is pretty close to the 28" height if placed on top of the furniture piece. Top of the 42" TV is 44" from the floor... if on top of the furniture the top of the speakers if about 4" below the top of the TV.
  • F1nut
    Options
    For your purpose I suggest the SVS SB1000.

The standard seat height is 18". You must be sitting damn close to the floor.

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    My seat height is 19", my ear height is 48.5"
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Bestbob
    Options
    Will check the sub dimensions and see how it fits behind between furniture and wall... the furniture piece has no closed back. Surprised a bit that you didn't mention a Polk. But no problem as brand loyalty isn't my thing.

Will have to check the actual seat height... of course, my ears are above the seat height. Eyes are about even with the TV screen so speakers at top of furniture would be pretty close to ear height.