Monitor 10a Reversed Polarity

Options
joebass3
joebass3 Posts: 252
edited April 2023 in Vintage Speakers
I am in the process of rebuilding the crossovers and upgrading the binding posts on my 10's. I always take pics when I'm rebuilding the crossovers just in case, and noticed what appears to be a screw up when these were built. Every set of Polks I own has the red (positive) post on the left when looking from the rear. Here are pics from both sides. Am I correct that the one with red on the right is wrong? The red binding post connects to the ring terminal that has the white wire and bare copper wire, correct?

w3miitjm1jyc.jpg

tgfc78rqsgpg.jpg

5b33abejx18c.jpg

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Correct. Binding Post on the Left (from outside speaker) goes to the large inductor and the tweeter fuse block. Should be the Red one but easy enough for some previous owner to get those reversed, if they completely removed the the red and black plastic binding post nuts at some time.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 252
    Options
    Correct. Binding Post on the Left (from outside speaker) goes to the large inductor and the tweeter fuse block. Should be the Red one but easy enough for some previous owner to get those reversed, if they completely removed the the red and black plastic binding post nuts at some time.

Never thought about that. Can't imagine why the nuts would ever need to be completely removed but I guess they got switched.