Which High End Head Unit for SQ?

MrDHEJ
MrDHEJ Posts: 137
edited June 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
There seems to be a plathora of head units out there, and i already know what you guys think about Sony :) but what are the "Good" ones when it comes to sound quality. If i get this right, the higher the voltage on the pre-amps the better, correct?

Buget: what's that? Can't put a price on SQ :)
Power: none, need 3 sets of pre-amps
Need to play mp3's and cd's, looks are a factor as i'm kin to the "old" look, i really like the looks of the Clarions, but what's the SQ like?

Commence bombbardment of sugestions!
Post edited by MrDHEJ on

Comments

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited June 2004
    The older Sony ES heads are actually great SQ heads (C90, etc).

For the stuff you want, looks like Alpine is the way to go. You won't get the simple looks (something I would like also), but its definitely hard to find an old school looking face from anyone now-a-days.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MrDHEJ
    edited June 2004
    yeah, i was leaning towards Alpine, then i noticed this from one of there high end models.

Alpine CDA-9835
    I read that this HU only has a 1 bit D/A Converter, shouldn't this HU have at least a 24 bit D/A Converter?

Even though i don't like the tilt display i'm kinda leaning towards the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X979 with the 24-bit Burr-Brown D/A converter

what ya'll think.
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by MrDHEJ
    Alpine CDA-9835
    I read that this HU only has a 1 bit D/A Converter, shouldn't this HU have at least a 24 bit D/A Converter?
    From what I understand, there are two kinds of D/A converters. The burr-brown 24 bit d/a converter either works differently or is measured differently, than Alpine's 1 bit D/A converter. Neither one is better, they just go about the conversion differently. The Alpine 9835 is an excellent choice for SQ and is very highly recommended from almost everyone. Eclipse HU's are also highly recommended for SQ, as are the higher-end Pioneers. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what you think looks the best, or the features you prefer. The SQ will be the same among the upper ends of all the major manufacturers.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited June 2004
    personally...for high end sq..you need to look at eclipse, Nak or denon...
    Denon being the most expensive....but the others mentioned will not even come close. Maybe the Alpine F1...bout doubt even that
  • MrDHEJ
    edited June 2004
    you got websites for eclipse and nak? I don't see any head units on Denon's web site.
  • bknauss
    edited June 2004
    1. Don't worry about the number of bits for DACs... sound quality basically has nothing to do with that if the engineer has a decent brain in his head.

2. Naks skip like a ****. They used to be very popular a couple of years ago since they were cheap for the performance, but you rarely hear about them anymore since everyone got ticked off with having to get the HU repaired so quickly. Denon might also be hard to find... the only US distributor I knew of (Red Mountain Audio) went out of business. Luckily, there was Denon head that was rebadged by RF, never went on the market, and now is being sold (the small quantities left) at sounddomain.com. Here's the link
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROCRFX8250

Definitely a great head unit.

If you want a real SQ head unit, get something with digital out, or at least balanced outputs. Digi out is hard to find without paying for a DVD player... but if you have a friend in Japan, Alpine has a good amount of head units with coax digi out. I believe there was one that retailed for about $350 USD.
    Brian Knauss
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2004
    I believe that any head unit from a quality manufactuer (Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Eclipse etc) will sound and work great.

I like Alpine best because I think they look best and offer 4 volt pre-outs in my price range!

Pioneer is also awesome.

I really like the RF model that BK mentioned. I like the "simple stealth" look to it and for $300 it aint a bad deal.

I would only stay away from JVC and Sony. Anything else will do you just fine.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    jvc isnt horrible...
    as far as SQ goes, look no further than the Pioneer P9
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MrDHEJ
    edited June 2004
    You mean the P9600MP? What makes it so much better then the others?
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2004
    You mean the P9600MP? What makes it so much better then the others?
    He has one :D

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2004
    No, it's the DEX-P9. It's a Pioneer Premier high end piece.
  • MrDHEJ
    edited June 2004
    Yeah, i found it on Pioneer's web site last night. THough some of the spec's are unclear, it says cdr cdrw compatible but doesn't mention if it'll play mp3/wma. If sound quality is noticable i may consider it. Anyone heard the p9?
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2004
    Well, I haven't heard the P9, but if you're shooting for ultimate SQ, you definitely don't want to be playing MP3/WMA files.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MrDHEJ
    edited June 2004
    with the method i use to rip my cd's to mp3 i doubt you would be able to tell the differance. :)
  • Kschultz76
    Kschultz76 Posts: 59
    edited June 2004
    I'm gonna put in my vote for a Kenwood unit, I have been using them for years and never had one let me down. My SQ has always been great, and Kenwood offers many models for many price ranges. I have one of the first Kenwood units that came out with MP3 decoding and I love it, but it doesn't decode WMA, i think mine is an MP8017. It has a Dmask revolving face plate, but it is manually operated not motorized. Def look at a model with the highest pre-out voltage you can afford as that will be a key factor for your system since you're going to power everything with amps. While I am a Kenwood fan, any higher end HU will do you good, Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Eclipse, they're all good as long as you look at a higher end unit and compare them all based on the same specs.....pre out voltage, type of faceplate, etc....
  • bknauss
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    jvc isnt horrible...
    as far as SQ goes, look no further than the Pioneer P9
    -Cody

There's the higher end japanese version of the P9 combo... guess its out of the question though since the price is very high and would be difficult to import.

As for the P9, good luck finding it. I've talked to a couple shop owners who either say its on backorder or discontinued.
    Brian Knauss
  • AustinKP
    edited June 2004
    with the method i use to rip my cd's to mp3 i doubt you would be able to tell the differance. :)
    I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But when you're compressing music, no matter what method, you're losing at least a little bit of data. If you're going to spend that much for a deck for probably only a minor SQ improvement, the improvement would be negated by the loss of data created by compression. That's my opinion. I could be way off :)

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MrDHEJ
    edited June 2004
    Originally posted by bknauss
    There's the higher end japanese version of the P9 combo... guess its out of the question though since the price is very high and would be difficult to import.

As for the P9, good luck finding it. I've talked to a couple shop owners who either say its on backorder or discontinued.

There's 7 Pinoeer p9's on ebay right now
  • mel_jr.
    mel_jr. Posts: 3
    edited June 2004
    I have a alpine 9807 and a kenwood kdc-715x and love both of them.
  • bknauss
    edited June 2004
    There's 7 Pinoeer p9's on ebay right now

Good call. They generally go through good weeks and bad weeks on ebay.

BTW, of those 7 units, over half are refurbished or from shady sellers (ie only one other ebay transaction)
    Brian Knauss
  • MrDHEJ
    edited June 2004
    I'm probably going to get the Alpine CDA-9835, it matches the interior of my truck perty good and it looks nice and simple with all the features i am looking for.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2004
    youre not going to hear a difference in SQ in 99% of head units
    the 'great SQ head units' are the ones with the SQ options...ie crossover networks etc
    all of which you can do with an eq, but are a PITA to adjust and can take many hours
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • unrealii
    unrealii Posts: 268
    edited June 2004
    My eclipse cd8454 has a microphone which you connect and it listens to itself and adjusts the settings for you.
    LSIm system on order =D

Currently listening to innovation...

Prior car systems:
    Nissan Maxima - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Eclipse PA5422, Eclipse PA5532, Polk SR 6500 (Front), Polk DB6510 (Rear), Image Dymanics IDQ10, active x-over setup
    Toyota MR2 - Eclipse CD5030, Eclipse HDR109 HD Receiver, Blaupunkt THA 555, Polk SR6500
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited June 2004
    Eclipse CD8454

nuff said....

the only other one i'd consider would be the pioneer p9 or the 9600, but i'd still take the eclipse first....
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • MTXMAN
    MTXMAN Posts: 682
    edited June 2004
    Eclipse CD8454

nuff said....

the only other one i'd consider would be the pioneer p9 or the 9600, but i'd still take the eclipse first....
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.