Polk r30 driver upgrade

Hello polk users,

I have some polk r30 speakers, and they sound great with my koda sub. However I was thinking of upgrading to better drivers. Does anyone have recommendations? Or do you recommend other upgrades to my setup first?

Audio setup:
- polk r30 front speakers
- koda sw800 60w subwoofer
- pioneer vsx516 reciever/amplifier (100w per channel)

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Not worth it. Cheap cabinets, cheap crossovers. If you want an upgrade buy better speakers, probably not the answer you want to hear.

What exactly are you after?
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    If you really want to mess around with your speakers consider bracing them on the insides and save for something better.
  • mees223
    mees223 Posts: 2
    stevep wrote: »
    If you really want to mess around with your speakers consider bracing them on the insides and save for something better.

Is this going to make a lot of difference soundwise? Because i'm searching for a more warmer and detailed sound, obviously for the best bank for my buck.

What (used)speakers would you recommend for around €100,-

And would keeping my r30's for surrounds be an option?
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    These are inexpensive 2-way speakers in a tower format. The cabinets are thin with a lot of surface area to vibrate. So bracing them is the first step in improving the speaker. All it cost is some wood and glue. Adding hurricane nuts with machine screws to the mid-woofer mounting will also help.

The next step would be to upgrade the quality of the parts in the crossover. That would be hard to do for both speakers for < €100.

Replacing drivers doesn't usually end well since everything is based on the parameters of those drivers.

I don't know what you local market looks like but again I'd suggest doing the cheap things if for no other reason than to keep you occupied when you save up for better stuff. Everything you have is entry level, €100 isn't going to make a significant improvement so keep saving.