RM Series II satellite speakers: impressive as PC speaker

gychang
gychang Posts: 11
I bought a pair of used these "granite" satellite speakers and am using them as my main PC speaker driven by a DIY amplifier. Originally sold as a part of home theater speakers but I am impressed. Without a sub, I am lacking a little mid-bass region which I compensate with pulseaudio-equalizer but vocal-cymbols are clear and impressive. Anyone know their sensitivity and ohm range? Cabinets are heavy and made of stone/granite?5clthu4yn0fc.jpg

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,482
    Hello,
    Those were the satellites for the RM3000 system. Here is some information from HiFi Classics site:

Each of the satellite speakers is a miniature two-way system with a 3-1/2-inch “woofer” operating above 200 Hz and crossing over at approximately 4,000 Hz to a 3/4-inch dome tweeter. The tweeter is protected against burnout by an internal autoreset protection device that cuts off its signal until the power has been reduced to a safe level. The tweeter is stepped back about 1-1/4 inches from the plane of the woofer to provide proper time alignment of the outputs of the two drivers.

The satellite enclosure is made of a high-density, nonresonant polymer aggregate similar to the material used for high-quality kitchen countertops. The smooth, glassy exterior is resistant to physical damage, and each of the satellites— which measure only 6-3/4 inches high, 4-1/4 inches wide, and 5 inches deep, including the molded plastic grilles—weighs a surprisingly heavy 4-1/2 pounds. The crossovers contain second-order low-pass and high-pass sections designed to complement the time alignment of the drivers. In addition to its crossover network, each satellite also contains a 200-hz high-pass filter that protects it from being damaged by high-level low-frequency signals.
  • gychang
    Hello,
    Those were the satellites for the RM3000 system. Here is some information from HiFi Classics site:

The crossovers contain second-order low-pass and high-pass sections designed to complement the time alignment of the drivers. In addition to its crossover network, each satellite also contains a 200-hz high-pass filter that protects it from being damaged by high-level low-frequency signals.

thanks for your input, I wonder how to extend the bass a little without buying a "regualr sub"...
  • gychang
    @SeleniumFalcon suggested website with subwoofer matched with these..., thanks again.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,482
    You could remove the internal high pass filter, however that would limit the power handling capability.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    You're not going to get much if any bass out of that 3-1/2" driver.
    In addition to its crossover network, each satellite also contains a 200-hz high-pass filter that protects it from being damaged by high-level low-frequency signals.

If you remove this ^^^ You run a very good chance of too much cone excursion which will be detrimential to its lifespan. Your best bet is to find a small computer sub that has high/low level speaker inputs and outputs.
  • gychang
    Your best bet is to find a small computer sub that has high/low level speaker inputs and outputs.

computer subwoofer with 4 speaker terminal connection on the back or do I need 8?