Need painter's advice

Options
After nearly 30 years we need to replace the wood fence at the barn. I bought rough cut boards late last summer and they should be ready to paint/install in another month or so. I was planning to stain them just like the old boards, but wonder if priming/painting would be a better way to go? Staining is a one step process but painting would be 2 steps unless I get a paint w/primer(which I've never used). Normally wouldn't care much about 2 steps but we are talking well over 100 boards. Any opinions?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Paint with primer ? Marketing flim/flam 101, if you read the can on those it will tell you 2 coats are needed UNLESS it has already been primed.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    Options
    I would go with a solid or semi-solid stain. Less tendency to peel or chip. Will last a pretty long time on vertical surfaces of the fence. Horizontal will not last as long.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    Options
    Solid stain will peel just like paint.
    Go with a oil based stain.
    If you go the paint route use extreme bonding primer and a good exterior paint.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    You could always go with the stain you want and then use a spar urethane over it. The urethane will last a pretty long time and the wood will likely start to degrade before the finish does. But that makes the finish start to flake off too.

You can get the spar urethane from Minwax called "Helmsman" in gloss, semi-gloss and satin so if you don't want a shiny fence, go with the satin. Minwax is also the clearest of the spar urethanes I've seen with the least amount of hue changing.

The only thing to be wary of is that spar urethane usually has a higher resin content which will give it a yellowish tinge. On dark stains or natural wood, it's not a big deal but it can change the hue of lighter stains and if you are going to apply it over a white stain it will be apparent. But as wood ages, it naturally yellows and darkens from UV and it's not nearly as apparent 6-12 months after application. Except on white or gray stains where it looks like nicotine stains.

Spar urethane is far more durable than paints or just stains. Stains aren't very protective by themselves either. I remember when I was a kid and my dad got a new front door, unfinished. He stained it to the color my mom wanted and then covered it in a few coats of spar urethane. It took 23 years for the weather to beat it down enough where wood was exposed. All my dad did was sand it down to good wood again (maybe a 32nd of an inch), stain it again and put new spar urethane on. The inside of the door, though, is still on it's original finish with nothing more than regular cleaning with soap and water. I was 11 when he put that door up. So 34 years ago now.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    I use rough cut pine all the time and I quit painting, after I was told by an old barn builder to do so. The rough cut boards age with a beautiful patina. He said he built his barn in 1943, and the boards are still in good shape, he never painted them, and they looked great with a beautiful patina. Now I never have to paint which I hate more than just about any other chore. The old guy also said patina will not really appear on planed boards, and that planed boards rot much quicker, especially if painted, which is another reason I use rough sawn boards pretty exclusively now.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Of course, rough sawn is not always an option but my point is that painting is not always a necessity. Aged rough sawn can be very attractive
  • rebelsoul
    Options
    I did my parents fence with the semi solid stain and did with a brush and put a heavy coat and it lasted about 15 years.only down side it took 20 gallons . Make sure you use one with uv protection I used flood stain .
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    If you need to keep it from rotting, I would use an exterior wood preservative.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    The ultimate product for your job is creosote. Apply once and done forever. The only issue these days is it's only available to pros thanks to the disaster known as the EPA.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    The problem with film coatings, which includes spar varnish, paint, deck stains, etc. is it will eventually delaminate/peel.

I was out in horse country (big money) today. Since I saw this thread before I left I made note of the fences along my travels. Some were painted white, some appeared to be treated with creosote as they were very dark, but most by a long shot were left natural.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    I'll add this from my many years of sailing. Spar varnish only lasts a few years before it has to be sanded down to the wood and reapplied. Cetol, which is a spar varnish like product, but is not crystal clear, so it does a better job with UV light damage, might last 3 to 4 years.

My advice, never buy a boat with bright work (wood) on the topsides.

President of Club Polk

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    I would probably leave it natural, but the Mrs will want it to match the barn which was stained brown many years ago,,,and actually is holding up fairly well. Creosote would likely stop a bored horse from chewing on it though, or kill it I guess and then we would have no need for the fence.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    If a horse is going to chew on it then you should do none of the above and leave it natural.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The problem with film coatings, which includes spar varnish, paint, deck stains, etc. is it will eventually delaminate/peel.

I was out in horse country (big money) today. Since I saw this thread before I left I made note of the fences along my travels. Some were painted white, some appeared to be treated with creosote as they were very dark, but most by a long shot were left natural.

r7phadu7jckn.jpg

Like this Maryland white fence, where Debbie Reynolds on the horse, getting ready to jump over it. :)

From "The Mating Game" 1959 movie, with Tony Randall, Paul Douglas...

• F1nut
    Options
    Yep, just like that.

President of Club Polk

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    If a horse is going to chew on it then you should do none of the above and leave it natural.

Or get out the Irish Spring soap. I wonder if that's the soap Ralphy had to suck on.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    Depending on how much fence you are dealing with, I understand that black locust wood naturally resists wood boring insects and water damage. You might consider this rout in the future. No finish required.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • rebelsoul
    edited March 2023
    Options
    I own a painting company and a construction company
    the best finish for wood is a semi-transparent or semi solid stain. This stain penetrates the wood and won't peel, unlike some solid-colour stains, which sit on the surface like paint and can peel and flake under some conditions
  • GospelTruth
    GospelTruth Posts: 403
    Options
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    I own a painting company and a construction company
    the best finish for wood is a semi-transparent or semi solid stain. This stain penetrates the wood and won't peel, unlike some solid-colour stains, which sit on the surface like paint and can peel and flake under some conditions

This. My father was in the paint business and I worked in the store back in the day. Semi-transparent is the way to go if you want to stain. I would never paint as you will have to scrape and paint again sometime in the future. Semi-transparent, just coat again if needed sometime in the future. Go with something that has a color (not clear) as that will last longer for UV protection. My advice is stay away from CWF (a Flood product) as we used to call that Cheap Wood Finish. It didn't last but a year or two before you needed to recoat. Cabot Semi-Transparent would be my suggestion.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable