RTA-11 passive driver question

This is my first pair of RTA 11s, I have the RTA-15s and love them. I noticed that the two top passive woofers had a rattle to them and upon inspection, they had separated at the base of them on the inside. I reglued them for now and they seem fine but my question is, does it make sense or much difference to try to source replacement passive woofers in this system? Thank you.

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,450
    Usually doing a re-glue is sufficient and finding replacements can be difficult. The moving mass of the passive radiator represents a certain volume of air that allows the active bass components to develop lower bass. You would need to determine what the compliance of the suspension used and the effective mass of the cone and spider are to know what the system resonance is. Finding the mass is fairly easy but I don't know how to determine the suspension's compliance. It could be interesting to find out.
  • GreggyG
    GreggyG Posts: 8
    Thank you so kindly. Some of my research indicates that the part numbers could be SW-81 and SW-83? The different being the dimensions of the center dampening disk, 2.75" vs. 4" Does this sound about right to anyone?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    GreggyG wrote: »
    Thank you so kindly. Some of my research indicates that the part numbers could be SW-81 and SW-83? The different being the dimensions of the center dampening disk, 2.75" vs. 4" Does this sound about right to anyone?

Yes they are two different passive woofers. There have been some on ebay, if you want to have spares you should grab some from there. Personally I have many spares for my Polk speakers, I will also mention that not too many years in the past the spares were readily available, THAT is not the case anymore. Get them while you can.
  • Livinloud
    Livinloud Posts: 43
    I agree with grabbing spare parts if you find them