What cables do I need to hook my speakers up?

ibegn0jgrpjh.jpeg
I recently found two Polk audio RM series II Shielded Satellite speakers at an estate sale. And I’m trying to figure out what cables to use. I don’t know if this will help but the RMSS is 140713 on one, and 140718 on the other. I tried using RCA cables that I found hooked up to a camcorder however they didn’t fit into the back.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    Any speaker cable will do.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,422
    Jesse! lol

@masoncommack, those red and black plastic bits on the binding posts are nuts. Back them out and there will be holes in the binding posts that you can thread your speaker cable ends through.

Then, cinch down the binding post nuts to secure the cable.

These are what they call 5-way binding posts.

You can also buy some banana plugs or spade connectors to install on the ends of the wire, and put the banana plugs into the holes on the ends of the binding posts.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    edited March 2023
    msg wrote: »

These are what they call 5-way binding posts...

Yeah, although I don't think I've ever seen a completely convincing claim for what the fifth way is. :#

cdjop8bue492.png

One may find some chatter about that fifth way at:
    https://www.avsforum.com/threads/5-way-binding-posts-whats-the-fifth-way.1435188/
    (source of these images, in full disclosure)

0ueugm0a5ray.png
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Whatever you do, don't try to walk and chew gum at the same time!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • msg
    I think it's the pin connector?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    msg wrote: »
    I think it's the pin connector?

That seems to be the generally accepted fifth way -- although personally I find it a little bogus. :)
    I think the boys in marketing musta said "We need five ways, Jerry! FIVE ways!" to the folks in R&D -- way back when.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    The fifth way is actually “Down Periscope” style. Remove the caps, lick your fingers and hold while completing the circuit with your feet
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    stangman67 wrote: »
    The fifth way is actually “Down Periscope” style. Remove the caps, lick your fingers and hold while completing the circuit with your feet

Your actually 1/2 correct. Remove the nut your alligator clips fit right in and grips the threads better than the hole in the side of the post....

AKA the Dr. Hardy method.....
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,888
    For those speakers just go to Home Depot or the like..
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Jokes aside, OP is obviously not familiar with anything audio. Based on your original post just pass them on to an audio bud. Unlikely you'll want to do what is needed to get them working.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    edited March 2023
    Yeah from the sounds of it he doesn't have an amp

Reminds me of folks who used to buy microphones and then ask why they didn't make sound when they took them back home🤣
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,510
    OP a chain jerker and now gone?
  • msg
    edited March 2023
    Side note - this is a remarkably squared photo.
    Side-side note - the leaning text style was created using the Hardyfy button.
    ibegn0jgrpjh.jpeg
    I recently found two Polk audio RM series II Shielded Satellite speakers at an estate sale. And I’m trying to figure out what cables to use. I don’t know if this will help but the RMSS is 140713 on one, and 140718 on the other. I tried using RCA cables that I found hooked up to a camcorder however they didn’t fit into the back.
    I disabled signatures.