What ethernet cable for endpoint

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,053
Since I just received my UpTone Audio EtherRegen I need a solid, nice sounding network cable to go from the ER to the Blue Sound Node 3

Max I want to spend at the moment is $300.

I've narrowed it down to a few. Thoughts, recommendations, etc. This will be my jumping off point so to speak.

https://ghentaudio.com/pc/et11.html

https://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-network-cable.html

https://audiolund.com/product/reference-series-rj45-ethernet-cable/

I am open to other suggestions and I may upgrade the cable in the future.

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,137
    Personally I'm contemplating, for a small run, purchasing some bulk cable from DH Labs and getting connectors and making my own. Has anyone here done this? Any downside?

https://silversonic.com/products/bulk-cable/bulk-digital-cable/reunion-cat8/

https://www.televes.com/us/datacom/copper-solutions/connectors.html
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited March 2023
    Here is a post that I read recently on another forum where a guy auditioned various cables, then posted his findings. FWIW.
    Back in 2019, when I was setting up my first "streaming" system, I used an approach for evaluating Ethernet cable that I learned working as a Design for Six Sigma Master Belt, "Competitive Benchmarking". From the Cable Company I rented in Ethernet cables from Audioquest, Wireworld, and also bought some affordable Ethernet cables. The cables I evaluated in my benchmarking were AQ Cinnamon, AQ Vodka, WW Starlight Cat 8, Supra Cat 8, generic Belden Cat 6A, and Shunyata Venom and Alpha.

The worst was generic Belden Cat 6A. The WW Starlight Cat 8 had some good qualities, but I found it excessively bright and fatiguing for more than 30 minutes or so. The AQ Cinnamon was decent, better than the Belden, not as good as the Supra Cat 8, which of all the affordable cables, was my favorite, though it could be a bit forward and aggressive, depending on the mastering of specific content.

The Shunyata Ethernet cables, however, were in a whole other league, it wasn't even close. Even the "entry-level" smoked virtually everything else, and by a ways.

While I never tried any of the cables he mentioned, the Shunyata Venom was the first E cable I purchased when I decided to go balls to the wall on the streaming setup. It's still in my system and I have no intentions to upgrade. I looked and couldn't find any that were used at the moment, but for your consideration, I would add this to the list.

It is beyond your proposed budget at this time (new) but if you can find one that is used? It should fit within or below your budget.

I do remember you needing a longer length than 1.5 meters. Now that you have the ER, I take it that you can use what I would consider, the standard length E cable? (I.E. - 1.5 meters)

[EDIT:] the used prices range from $320 to around $350, so I may be incorrect with it being within your proposed budget. They also do not come up for sale very often from what I see.

[EDIT 2:]There were two that recently sold in the US at $260 and $265

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I like the Supra Cat 8...very affordable for longer runs.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    I'm running audiolund everywhere and for the money they are hard to beat
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    You are running with the exact Audiolund E cable he's eying as well. One of these days, we should do a shootout just for S&Giggles...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    That's the ones I sold @Reagan I moved up to the silver duelund mix series
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Ah. I forgot about that. Well, maybe we can do a shootout when he's done with his mod's/build.

Tom
  • heiney9
    There is a Shunyata Alpha on US Audio Mart for $700, but I have to slow the roll on audio spending for a bit. I've bought a LOT in the past year or so and the GF, while supportive, wants to take a trip soon. I can't use all the fun money for just audio!

The ultimate ethernet cable (run between the ER and Node 3) will be a future purchase. I am intrigued by the Shunyata cables as not only do you, Tom, highly recommend them, but so do others.

But the Audiolund also seems like a good choice for a lot less $$$.

I may just get a 1.5M - Pangea Audio Premier SE as a place holder. Then in the future get the ultimate ethernet cable and use the Pangea between the modem and router, so it won't be a wasteful purchase.

I don't have the patience or tools to build my own confidently.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    The audiolund reference was 90% of the performance of the muon cable which was much more
  • heiney9
    VR3 wrote: »
    The audiolund reference was 90% of the performance of the muon cable which was much more

Good to know............maybe I can squeeze a bit more out of the present budget and just go for that and be done. I told myself when I re-energized my passion for audio in the past year I was going try and be less analytical and critical and strive more for enjoying the music and rig without constantly trying to over analyze everything to the "nth" degree. I still have critical standards, but in the past all I was doing was chasing more than enjoying what I already have.

I still want stellar sound, but I am slanting towards enjoyment rather than constantly chasing something. So a good cable that I have confidence in and sounds great the 1st time is fine by me.

Sort of an analyze, gather info, buy something with confidence and set-it and forget it.

H9
  • heiney9
    Trey, how flexible is the Reference? The photo's make it look like a fat cable that could be harder to handle. The flexibility will determine the length for me.

H9
  • treitz3
    Personally, I would steer clear of the Pangea (That's just me). Would definitely recommend the Audiolund Reference. That does hit well above its price point, sound wise.

Just for clarity, the only two on your list (okay, I added the Venom) that I have first hand and direct experience with is the Audiolund and the Shunyata. I can definitely vouch that both are very good cables. You wouldn't have to wonder anymore with either. You could, if you will, consider either of them great "foundational" cables.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Oh.....keep in mind about the conversion rates when it comes to the Audiolund cables. While shipping is about $50, you can knock off about 25% off of the listed price when converting to USD.

Tom
  • heiney9
    The website has a $ sign in front of the price, so I assumed it was in dollars?
  • VR3
    Audiolund prices are all Singapore dollars

The reference is oddly flexible given its diameter but you do need to leave room for bends
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Between my ER and Lumin U2 Mini streamer, I've had the AQ Vodka, and now the Revelation Audio Labs (RAL) Prophecy. imo, the RAL sounds way better.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited March 2023
    Personally I'm contemplating, for a small run, purchasing some bulk cable from DH Labs and getting connectors and making my own. Has anyone here done this? Any downside?

I have. My entire house (ok, not the Cave, yet) is now hard wired for internet, though admittedly, I only used Cat5e cable. I bought 1000' box, a pack of 100 connectors, 100 of those dust boot things, and a Klein ratcheting crimp/strip/etc. tool. IIRC it was close to $100 for all that a few years ago. Then add in a 24 port hub and a couple 8 port hubs, and the various installation items needed, and it's another $175?
    OK, so it's not an audiophile grade system, but it works and it allows me to eliminate quite a few things off the WiFi signal.
    But yes, I think you can do your own cabling.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Gardenstater
    polrbehr wrote: »

I have. My entire house (ok, not the Cave, yet) is now hard wired for internet, though admittedly, I only used Cat5e cable. I bought 1000' box, a pack of 100 connectors, 100 of those dust boot things, and a Klein ratcheting crimp/strip/etc. tool. IIRC it was close to $100 for all that a few years ago. Then add in a 24 port hub and a couple 8 port hubs, and the various installation items needed, and it's another $175?
    OK, so it's not an audiophile grade system, but it works and it allows me to eliminate quite a few things off the WiFi signal.
    But yes, I think you can do your own cabling.

Thanks! I made one once that was for a friend's Raytheon radar installation in his 37ft. sailboat and of course that was not audiophile grade lol, but it was not very difficult for me to do using his crimping tool and plastic shelled connectors he supplied me with. Where do you get the dust boots and connectors you used?

I think that a pretty common denominator in the audiophile marketed ethernet cables is that there is shielding in the connectors themselves due to a metal construction rather than plastic. My interest right now is in trying to source these for DIY shielded cable connectors and they could be either tool-less design or crimp on. So far I only found the ones from that company in Spain and I don't have any place
    to buy them at the moment.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Dr_Wu wrote: »
    Between my ER and Lumin U2 Mini streamer, I've had the AQ Vodka, and now the Revelation Audio Labs (RAL) Prophecy. imo, the RAL sounds way better.

Agreed. The RAL Ethernet is darn good.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Davidjohn reported
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,310
    edited March 12

Give it a shot!
    Keep the twists as close to the end as you can, and make sure you crimp in part of the jacket for strain relief, and try to find some quality connectors. Whatever that means. Careful to score the jacket and not nick the conductors. I'd think you'd want shielded, and maybe follow convention on interconnects with the shield/drain, if using metal encased connectors, wherein we only make the shield connection at the source end. Not sure if that's a thing since I've never used shielded nor metal Ethernet connectors. That's all I got. If you started a new thread on that, I'd follow along.

Making cables is fun, and Ethernet ones are easy after a couple of practice runs. I might try that, myself, now that you mention it. I hadn't considered finding up-qual bulk Ethernet cable before. I have a couple of long runs from the main network switch to intermediate switches and audio and video streaming devices.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Davidjohn reported

LOL, DAMmit, victim of the necrospammer!

So @Gardenstater - did you ever make your own cables?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Gardenstater
    No I haven't Scott. My MO is first I buy the materials for these projects and then a year or so later it gets done and I haven't bought the stuff for this yet 🤣

First on deck is a couple power cables and steel rod braces for the 7B baffles. Those I have the stuff for so maybe several months lol.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • msg
    Lol, at least you've started!
    I disabled signatures.